• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We are thinking baby Flynn might be ready for a friend

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
We have had little Flynn for just over 2 short weeks although he has already stolen my heart!

I spent a week talking to him and showing him my hand, and even though I knew a week is essentially nothing, I was constantly fretting that I was doing the wrong thing.

4 nights ago, he seemed to suddenly click that we don't want to hurt him, and that was it, he started flying to us and even snuggling into us! He is such a happy and peaceful little guy. Yesterday, I had a few friends over and Flynn was sitting by us on his playgym. He flew to my friend, and chatted away to her for a few minutes, then flew to the next person and did the same. He literally did the rounds and sat with each of us before taking himself back to his playgym!

So our plan was to start with one budgie, get to know him, build some trust and then get a second so that they can be friends. We are thinking we might start looking at getting a friend for Flynn now. So exciting!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Aww he sounds delightful. Do you have a second cage for new bird? It will be temporary of course.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Not yet! We will be getting a much bigger cage for the new budgie, and then hopefully if all goes well Flynn will eventually transition to living in that cage. I can't imagine there being a personality clash- he is so sweet and friendly.

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
That’s exactly what we did! We had Jo for almost 2 months first as it took a couple weeks for him to accept us ;)
We’re in the quarantine stage right now, but I’m so excited for them to meet in a few weeks! I’m hoping they get along tho, the personalities are opposites lol
Good luck to you, I’m sure you’ll find a good match for both you and adorable Flynn

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
That’s exactly what we did! We had Jo for almost 2 months first as it took a couple weeks for him to accept us ;)
We’re in the quarantine stage right now, but I’m so excited for them to meet in a few weeks! I’m hoping they get along tho, the personalities are opposites lol
Good luck to you, I’m sure you’ll find a good match for both you and adorable Flynn
where does your new baby come from? Pet shop? Professional breeder? Private breeders (with just a couple or 2 in their living room)?
How tight is your quarantaine? Do you have to have them in 2 separate rooms with closed doors and changing clothes and such each time you go from one to the other?

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I will get a budgie from the same breeder we got Flynn, yes we will quarantine him strictly at the beginning to be safe

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I will get a budgie from the same breeder we got Flynn, yes we will quarantine him strictly at the beginning to be safe
is that necessary if they are from the same breeder? Sure doesn't hurt, just a question...

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I was just wondering how I would do a proper quarantaine if I had to... My budgies are in the living room, an other bird could be in the kitchen but that wouldn't be very social, it is small so I'm there only for cooking and dishwashing. same problem with the kids rooms and the bathroom.

I'd like to sit with the bird as much as possible, use that time to get to know eachother, but if he is not in the living room I don't see how that would be possible.. And apart from throwing the budgies outside for the rest of the Summer, I can't do that. Where will you have your baby in quarantaine and how do you plan to share your time between the two?

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
We have a big home, and I work from home most of the time (more like "work" with little Finn distracting me!) I was thinking to put the new budgie in my office so he can be by me while I'm working

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
We have a big home, and I work from home most of the time (more like "work" with little Finn distracting me!) I was thinking to put the new budgie in my office so he can be by me while I'm working
Ok, that's not really an option for me, I don't even have my own room, I sleep in the living room :hilarious:

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
My boyfriend just said he thinks we should wait until my hand is better (I broke my hand the same day we got him) I've become pretty good at doing stuff one handed but it might be easier

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
We are also thinking of putting a large aviary style cage outside in the courtyard- Finn loves when I take him outdoors (in his cage). My bf wants to build it (he us a builder by trade) so that it's secure.

If budgies learn to talk, how old are they normally?!
Flynn is making these strange scratchy noises (it sounds kind of like he's saying "dooo dooo" maybe he us trying to imitate a sound he has heard. Maybe he's older than we think? (10 weeks) or maybe he's a genius:p

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
where does your new baby come from? Pet shop? Professional breeder? Private breeders (with just a couple or 2 in their living room)?
How tight is your quarantaine? Do you have to have them in 2 separate rooms with closed doors and changing clothes and such each time you go from one to the other?
Right now we’re doing separate rooms...I don’t do the change clothes etc I just don’t want them sharing “airspace “ til we’re sure it’s ok. Today Loki heard Jo chirping through the wall though and a cute little back and forth calling out to each other started lol
I’m just so excited for the day they meet I can’t take it

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Today Loki heard Jo chirping through the wall though and a cute little back and forth calling out to each other started lol I’m just so excited for the day they meet I can’t take it
yeah.. I've never been able to do a proper quarantaine with my budgies. Each time I gave up after a week, couldn't stand to see them wanting so desperately to meet each other!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
We are also thinking of putting a large aviary style cage outside in the courtyard- Finn loves when I take him outdoors (in his cage). My bf wants to build it (he us a builder by trade) so that it's secure.
I've also built my budgies' cage, so it fitted in our cupboard :) and the outdoor one is a transformed cupboard too, just renovating now. I like that cages have sides, inside because it reduces the mess and dust everywhere, outside because they are protected from direct sun and wind.

If budgies learn to talk, how old are they normally?!
Flynn is making these strange scratchy noises (it sounds kind of like he's saying "dooo dooo" maybe he us trying to imitate a sound he has heard. Maybe he's older than we think? (10 weeks) or maybe he's a genius:p
Hmm.. I guess it depends on the bird, we had one that I had to rehome at 8-9 weeks, when I got him back for the Summer holidays he was talking, so he started between 2 and 7 months old.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
yeah.. I've never been able to do a proper quarantaine with my budgies.
The last quarantine we had lasted a total of nine days....Milton just walked into the computer room where Omega was...it sort of ended the quarantine...:rolleyes: ;)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The last quarantine we had lasted a total of nine days....Milton just walked into the computer room where Omega was...it sort of ended the quarantine...:rolleyes: ;)
I really don't know how you are supposed to hold them separated for 6 weeks... At least in the small flats I've been living in, that's not realistic..