• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

WCP diet

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
OMG, am I hurting my baby with the wrong diet?
The following is copied from another thread:

I think pionus eat up the corn fields like a plague hit in Ecuador
My
Problems are that 1) even Harrison's has this level of protein so most pellets have this much protein 2) My boys will only eat Caitec Oven Fresh Bites (has 15% protein); 3) Roudybush has only 10% protein but my attempts over the years (including a current attempt) to get them to eat Roudybush have failed. They eat veggies/fruit each day but LOVE their Caitec pellets SO I need to learn to limit the pellets more. I think some pellets each day is good
Oh no... I feed mine Harrison's and fresh vegetables with part of a scrambled egg once weekly. Is that a problem? She was on fruity Zupreem.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The last paragraph is you right? Harrison’s veggies and egg?

Sounds fine to me!

Ernie was on all seed his first 17 years, and he’s fine. His feathers are much prettier now with the better diet.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Thanks! She gets Harrison's pellets, fresh veggies, 5 almonds daily, ~1/2 scrambled egg weekly and fresh water 3× daily.

As I constantly point out, this adoption happened in less than a week and I knew almost nothing about Pionus parrots.
Members here have been helping a BUNCH!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
5 almonds is to much. 1 or max 2 is enough. Try to give her walnuts too, very healthy for them.

I give mine everything, incl seed. I believe that a varied diet with several sources to the same thing is the best for them. (and for us too)

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
5 almonds is to much. 1 or max 2 is enough. Try to give her walnuts too, very healthy for them.

I give mine everything, incl seed. I believe that a varied diet with several sources to the same thing is the best for them. (and for us too)
Okay, Sherman wasn't very fond of the walnuts and that's why I changed to almonds. Today, she only got one in morning food bowl and I just put one in her supper bowl.
I added a Nutr-Berry and some pellets to her forage basket. She still doesn't get any seed.
Is anyone familiar with
Volkman Avian Science Hookbill Food
Volkman Avian Science Hookbill Food, 4-lb bag - Chewy.com
I wonder if this would be better than pellets.
Another thing added to her food bowl was a seeded date. Sherman doesn't seem interested. She doesn't seem interested in the Sugar Snap Peas in the Pod either.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Is anyone familiar with
Volkman Avian Science Hookbill Food
Volkman Avian Science Hookbill Food, 4-lb bag - Chewy.com
I wonder if this would be better than pellets.
You could certainly feed it, but I wouldn't replace pellets with it. It contains peanuts, which many people (myself included) do not like to feed due to the risk of aspergillosis. It's essentially a seed mix with some extras. I would continue doing what you're doing (although lower the amount of almonds), and feed a varied diet :)

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
many people (myself included) do not like to feed due to the risk of aspergillosis.
You're the first person that actually said that about peanuts. I knew but no one ever said it including me! Thanks! Peanuts have been controversial for quite awhile, but even my AV avoided the subject.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
There's something else. I know little to nothing about Golden Berries. My knowledge is limited to 3 things:
1) They don't grow in the Arklatex (where I live),
2) They are quite healthy for humans,
3) They are distantly related to tomatoes.
Should they be available to my WCP or not?