• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Way to Go, California!

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Screenshot_20171014-122302.jpg

I'll be the first to admit that I don't like living in California very much. I much prefer having four distinct seasons as opposed to living in the desert. Just my personal preference. That being said, gotta love this new pet store requirement!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
View attachment 258148

I'll be the first to admit that I don't like living in California very much. I much prefer having four distinct seasons as opposed to living in the desert. Just my personal preference. That being said, gotta love this new pet store requirement!

I don't believe this includes birds or other exotics, just dogs, cats and rabbits.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I guess with the fires this hasn't hit the news up here. Glad to hear they're starting something that should've been done all along. Thanks for posting:D

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I guess I didn't realize that this wasn't a law. The place where I board my bird has always done this. They also have rehomed birds when their owners have gotten ill or couldn't care for them any more and they have even taken in some of these birds to be their own pets, especially the ones who have boarded them a lot there and they have gotten attached to them.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Here's the link to the article
California becomes the first state to require pet stores to sell rescue animals - LA Times

I sort of have mixed feeling about it. I feel like rescues should be in charge of finding homeless pets homes. I'm just not sure I trust a store who has to worry about the bottom line to do it properly. I would really like the pet part of pet stores be greatly reduced and have them focus more on pet supplies. While I have mixed feelings I do really applaud the intention and sentiment behind the law :)