• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Watery droppings throughout the day, foamy in the morning

TheBirb

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Josh
Jess my (roughly) 7 year old green cheek conure has watery droppings, foamy in the morning with little to no bubbles during the day, a few more regular droppings throughout the day but mostly watery, happening since last Friday & taken to an experienced small animal vet the following day (not a dedicated avian vet though).

They checked her body weight & felt her kidneys, all good.

Faecal smear test showed what looks like Coccidia, they showed me an image of the test results which I agreed.

I was provided with Avitrol Plus worming medication which I treated immediately but no Coccivet medication stocked locally, express ordered & started treatment 5 days ago with little to no results.

The food grade butchers paper that I use does hold water so their droppings do appear more watery but not this much.

Jess appears happy & healthy with no weight loss or mood change so far but since birds don't often show signs I'm starting to get concerned that her condition is potentially left untreated for 8+ days now, after Googling I'm starting to think bacterial infection requiring antibiotics or Clostridium requiring probiotics... perfect... is there any clear indication here?

I left her paper in overnight for comparison of a dry dropping to a recent dropping, as you can see her first morning dropping is more foamy less watery, becoming less to no foam & more watery but a few normal sized.

Since the vet is not a dedicated avian vet I thought i'd come here for some opinions & thoughts before I call them to discuss.

Diet has been consistent with no issue for almost 2 years since adoption so a non issue but in any case - Fresh filtered water, a little more than enough mix of Vetafarm Nutriblend, B-Calm & South American Pellets during the day, 1/8 cup of mixed sunflower, safflower & millet seed at 5pm every night, half a cashew/walnut/pistachio every other day, small amounts of defrosted/fresh veg & fresh fruit every 2 or 3 days.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Sorry you are having issues, but interested in learning and following. Excellent to provide pictures.

Not something we see much( well ever , for me anyway ) around me in captive non aviary parrots .

How did they acquire?

I've seen plenty of parasites in zoo and aviary birds , but been awhile so don't remember treatment protocol, or meds.

I feel like some were linked with stress and nutrition, but plenty of low levels in otherwise healthy birds. Except for those with extreme loads , I'm pretty sure fecals still looks normal . Again memories aren't what they used to be tho...

So the polyuria, biliruri make me wonder if you might also have clymadia in them ? It's bacteria and relatively common infection of birds. Not something you culture from poop, takes a blood test . Any other symptoms?

TheBirb

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Josh
@Pixiebeak

No idea how she'd acquire whatever it is

Low and behold her poops have been back to normal since posting... Lol, I guess the Coccivet is kicking in now on the 5th day since it does recommend using for 5-7 days, hopefully all is well tomorrow as far as foamy bubbles.

I guess blood work will be the next step otherwise & no other symptoms, mayyybe a little more appetite for her seed at 5pm but that's a big maybe as they always look forward to it, I know it's not great for them but it's only a small quantity that I prefer to give to them as a ground feeding training mechanism were they to ever fly outside.