• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Water turns pink

PeanutXoXo

Moving in
Real Name
Bobbi
i clean my bird's water dish every day. She doesn't poop on it, it is nowhere near the foods dishes, yet every day it pink/red hue! Quite colored, not just slightly.
I have considered flouride, but no other cup of water turns color that fast, and the color isn't staining or sticking to the dish, it's just the water.
(Btw she is a sun)
Anyone else experience this or have an idea of what is doing this to her water?

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Are you sure she is not dunking her pellets in the water dish? Are you wiping the dish out everyday? A bacteria grows in the water dishes which might turn it pinkish. The dish has to be washed/wiped clean daily. Do you have pics of the water?

Kaliska

Strolling the yard
If anything acidic gets introduced to our hard water, even just a vit c supplement, I get purple. It's some minerals settling out. I forget which ones people said. Mine doesn't all stay suspended in the water though.

PeanutXoXo

Moving in
Real Name
Bobbi
Thanks for the ideas, guys. I wash it out every day, I even have a new bowl, which also turned pink within a day. Her pellets aren't dyed, so if she is dipping them I'm not sure if it would turn it pink or not.
I don't put vitamins or minerals in her water.
I am really hoping it's not a bacteria of some sort, but I can't think of what else it might be.
At her next vet visit I'll ask if they know, and I'll update if they do.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
What about any red or pink toys? Picture of her cage setup?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Some of my birds dunk ? into their water and it ends up pink by the end of the day. I have 2 sets of bowls for every cage so they get washed out daily as do the 2 playstands that don't have a back-up set of bowls. Hot water and Dawn. I'd look at any toys that your fid(s) may be dunking and then taking out. I've found my fids to be very creative when it comes to giving me worries and nightmares about nothing at all.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is it filtered or out of the faucet? Are you drinking red water too? I would contact the county you live in and get your water tested, otherwise use bottled water and see if it turns red too. Then you know it is something your birds are doing.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have well water?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What food do you offer? Seeds? Any dyed vitamin enrich seeds?

alcmene

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Put water in the dish and just leave it sitting out on your countertop for the day. If it still turns pink you know it's something either with your water or with the dish itself, not something that your bird is doing. If that's the case, I would bleach the dish to kill any bacteria or just throw it away and buy new one. I would also start giving my bird bottled water

If the water stays clear on your counter, then it has to be something from your bird. Watch him closely to see what he's putting in his water that's turning pink so you can make sure it isn't something potentially harmful