• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Water bottle or water bowl?

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
I was just wondering what is better for a Rose Breasted Cockatoo, water bottle or water bowl? I’ll clean them everyday or more, that’s not a problem. I just didn’t know what was best? Also placement, Where is the best place to put the food and the water in the cage ? I’m bringing home a new baby RB2 in July.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I use a bottle only for the travel carrier and prefer to use a bowl for his cage. There are some extra precautions you would want to take when cleaning the bottle tip/nozzle..... its not easy to get in there to make sure it is scrubbed and clean so when ever I use the bottle I make sure I run a heap of F10 through it. I use the F10 when cleaning the bottle out after use but I also run F10 through it again before I next use it. I am so concerned about not being able to get in there to see and clean it properly.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
I was thinking of getting the Bird Butler.
I think it’s easy to clean with the special brush and the stainless steel actuator nozzle is supposed to be excellent and cleans well. It just seems most people use water bowls, but it seems like it would get dirty often

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yep so then you change the water often and know they always have a fresh supply of clean water.

The nozzles get grubby too but because you can’t see it or the water inside the tube is still clean then they are using a grubby nozzle all day. I have had to go and buy vinegar while out for the whole day with the bottle to make sure I had fully cleaned out the chewed up gunk that got put on it. It was rather inconvenient and I’ve now learned to also take a bowl and bottle of water whenever we need to be out all day as I’d hate to think what germs would be building up (unseen) on the nozzle after my bird has eaten and used it.

My preference is for bowls but I am sure you will find others who swear by the bottles. Each to ones own I guess.

Actually, I believe there may be a thread on here already about the bird butler...I believe there are a few members who love it. I have no experience with that particular bottle, I did look it up and (from memory) it seemed much better than the other water bottles available.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
I did find the thread and it was interesting. I’m still trying to figure out what I’ll do?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I only use ss bowls. I don't trust bottles.

But mine drinks from the tap, they come to my shoulder reaching for water if I placed near the tap. Here in Sweden we have very good water quality so that's why I allowed it.
And Akela can turn on the tap on her own in the bathroom, sadly she never turn them off after.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have two bowls in each of my fids' cages, because they all love to make 'soup' with their food, and bottles steal that fun from them. One bowl for soup, one bowl for clean drinking water.

It does require a lot of cleaning and switching out dishes, but it's well worth it IMO.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I have used both, and both have their advantages and disadvantages. If you use a water bottle make sure it is cleaned thoroughly every day and in good working order. SS bowls also need to be cleaned every day, but water should be changed one or two times a day also. Place water bowls so they aren’t “in the line of fire” so to speak, because if poop gets in the bowl, bacteria will multiply really fast in it, especially on a warm day.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I have two bowls now in the cage and have been looking at the bird butler myself. Jenks makes soup in his water so I am constantly cleaning water bowls and worrying about bacteria. We really need to buy a good bottle too. I tried one of the typical animal water bottles and he wouldn't use it, it also leaked like a sieve. So I think I will have to buy a BB as soon as they have the one I want in stock.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used to use bottles but they either leaked or the birds who had them removed them. I would find them on the floor. Good thing is that I also used water bowls. I think you will just have to figure out how Bisou does with the bottle and the bowl. Try them both out with him/her. My preference would be stainless steel bowls or ceramic crocks. You can figure out where to place food and water dishes once she is home. You will get a better idea of her climbing and balancing abilities when Bisou arrives and then you can decide if you need to start the bowls low to begin with and then move them up higher at a later time. Just try to arrange perches so poop doesn't wind up in the bowls. Sometimes it's unavoidable.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I am using the bird butler and have had no issues. I clean the nozzle with qtips, use the brush they sell for the bottle, then I spray some Force of Nature into the bottle and stir that around, then rinse and fill. I use this as my main cleaner too, in my kitchen, bathrooms, stains, carpet, deodorizer.
If your interested in Force of Nature, here is my referal link, I love this stuff!
The Family-Safe Way to Clean & Deodorize - Force of Nature

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Tibs will not drink from a bowl, but I still supply him one with fresh water daily. I'm not a fan of the bottle however he's an ace at using even though it is a pain to clean. The store didn't offer them water bowls, only bottles, so I expect it may take him a while to adjust.
Sam has two bowls, and he has self-designated one as a bath bowl and the other is his soup making/drinking water bowl.
I like bowls so much better, I'd take cleaning the soup over a bottle any day.