• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Watching a friends cockatoo

Karen1455

Checking out the neighborhood
FC9569C5-C7DC-45CD-8CDA-361EB8DBE9F9.jpeg Hi, I have a friend who is having surgery and I’m watching her 25 year old umbrella cockatoo. She brought him to my house and he was pretty freaked out for about 5 days. He’s finally starting to settle in. I may have him for the next 3 months as my friend is having a very serious operation.

My question is, his toe nails seem way too long, to the point that sometimes he catches them on the cage. I took the best picture I could, I didn’t want to freak him out. His owner told me that he hasn’t been out of his cage for a very long time. I guess his cage at home is quite large. The one she brought me to use is too small, so I’ve been opening up his cage door and letting him exercise his wings and be on top of the cage. I’ve read as much as I could about cockatoos, but have a lot to learn. So far my husband and I are really enjoying his antics and dancing capabilities. After he goes back home, we quite seriously will probably buy our own parrot.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
His nails are long... You could try to file them with some sand paper wrapped around an emory board - if he's easily held and touched, this could be easy. You'd take it very slowly, maybe just a couple swipes on one nail, and move slowly. This would be low stress, and a long-ish project. If you have no experience with bird nails, don't try to clip them - you have be prepared for bleeding, and it could really stress him out. If you have a really good bird vet around, you could try that route but it could be very stressful, during an already stressful time. I'd go with the filing if he'll allow it. Poor guy. Maybe your friend will let you have him when all is said and done.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
His nails do look on the long side. When I got Fred, he could practically skate across my kitchen floor on his. Now he has large, (suitable for an Umbrella) concrete perches to keep his nails trim.

If your friend is okay with it, can you possibly take him in for a nail clipping? Yes, he may freak out a little, but it is something he will quickly get over.

They are a fun bird, needy, but fun. :)

Karen1455

Checking out the neighborhood
My husband got him to go up on his arm yesterday. He won’t go on mine yet, which I find strange since he was raised by a woman, and hasn’t been around any men. My friend has owned him for 23 years. She just hasn’t paid much physical attention to him for a while. She is older and frail with severe back problems.

He seems like a really nice bird, just needs to get to know us and trust us. I’m reading about how to do this. The consensus is to go slow and let him come to us.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
She may decide it would be in his best interest to permanently stay with you and your husband. You both seem to already want to give him extra TLC . Poor bird haven't been out to stretch his wings and all the other things you could do to enrich his life. You already are reaching out to help him, by joining Avian Avenue.
Welcome to the Forum . :fairy:

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thanks for helping your friend. This is going to be a big change for all of you. I wish you luck and offer support.