• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

washing machine worries?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So our washer finally died, and dad bought a new one. It's arriving on Thursday. Do I need to worry about teflon or anything? Will I have to take Chirp and Fuzzgig outside to keep them safe? Or am I just being overly paranoid?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Washer is SS but the smell from the rubber inside a new washer tells me to don't let them have direct contact with it.
I wash with it as much as possible in the beginning, and also adding baking soda to every wash and after every wash.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Washer is SS but the smell from the rubber inside a new washer tells me to don't let them have direct contact with it.
I wash with it as much as possible in the beginning, and also adding baking soda to every wash and after every wash.
Dad says this new one is SS. Chirp certainly won't be having any contact, seeing as the washer is in the basement and Chirp is never allowed there (too dangerous, too many things to get into).

What brand of washer did your dad get? I have a Maytag.
He says it's a Maytag as well.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Taxi, I think you’re safe. Mine’s a Samsung, but when we got it there was not smell or anything.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
We got a new machine with a SS tub back about 2014. It didn't bother Lurch in the least but he was in the kitchen laundry nook by the door with it either. I think as long as it isn't putting out any serious smells you should be fine but I'd be worried about him getting into any leftover soap spilled around the outside if he's free flying around and can get to it easily. Dobby will chew anything he can and for some reason is fascinated with soap and soap boxes so we try to keep things like that covered or put away and keep an eye on him.
Maytag, Whirlpool, some of the earlier Kenmore's, are all made by Whirlpool and there might be a few other brands not that it really makes much of a difference.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Taxi, I think you’re safe. Mine’s a Samsung, but when we got it there was not smell or anything.
We got a new machine with a SS tub back about 2014. It didn't bother Lurch in the least but he was in the kitchen laundry nook by the door with it either. I think as long as it isn't putting out any serious smells you should be fine but I'd be worried about him getting into any leftover soap spilled around the outside if he's free flying around and can get to it easily. Dobby will chew anything he can and for some reason is fascinated with soap and soap boxes so we try to keep things like that covered or put away and keep an eye on him.
Maytag, Whirlpool, some of the earlier Kenmore's, are all made by Whirlpool and there might be a few other brands not that it really makes much of a difference.
Good to know. Yeah, he's not getting to the laundry area. He is never allowed in the basement, as it's big and dark, filled with things that could be dangerous to him, and if he were to get lost it would be a nightmare to find him. He's gotten down there a couple of times before, and I think I was just as terrified as he was. He goes quiet when he's scared- doesn't make it easy to find him!

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
You should be very happy with the machine. I do super amount of rinsing but that is just me being extra cautious. Simon goes quiet when he is scared too, I think it is a safety thing so whatever any bird is scared of cannot find it.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
One warning, the earlier HE top load Whirlpool designed machines like mine have a tub bearing and seal problem. The rubber seal on the top bearing of the tub shaft eventually leaks a tiny bit rusting up the top and bottom bearings and the machine gets noisy badly in spin cycle and eventually leaks out of the center of the motor/tub bearing shaft. I think they have gone to a different design since mine came out but if not the bearings last two to five years and get noisy. The whole kit to repair it costs around 90 bucks for everything you need in original Whirlpool parts. You can buy the bearing install tool for around 30 bucks and as long as it looks like all the other tools for sale it will work. I think the Maytag version comes with a 5 year warranty, Whirlpool comes with a year but is the same machine.
Now if your new machine is a front load, or it uses a new drive setup compared to mine none of this will apply but something to be aware of just in case.