• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Washbourne may have cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
My 3.5 year old cat Wash may have cancer. Specifically, renal lymphoma, which is bad as cancers go. We go for more tests on Monday to confirm that's what he has, but so far no one I've talked to can think of anything else it might be given his symptoms and test results thus far. You can see his bald belly here from the ultrasound he got today.

Lymphoma sucks in cats because it moves fast, and even with chemo (which cats and dogs do pretty well with) it is hard to slow down and you can't really cure it in cats. If the test come back positive, I'm looking at 1-7 months on average. All animals are a study of one when it comes down to it though, so I'm hoping for better, but fearing the worst. Maybe even that everyone is wrong and he has some other, entirely curable disease.

Right now he is happy, doesn't seem to feel sick at all and is really only peeing and drinking too much. As long as he's happy, it's all good. Please wish us lots of happy, comfortable days ahead.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
is really only peeing and drinking too much.
Did they test for diabetes? Cindy{Riley's mom} and I were just talking about this yesterday. She said they see more cats coming down with diabetes than ever before. I hope it is nothing serious, and hope for the best for Washbourne.:hug8:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I am so sorry ...I really hope it comes back something else.

My kitty had stomach cancer....she made if three months before we had to make that decision....

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
positive thoughts and healing energies on the way:hug8:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Oh Sharpie, I am so sorry! I will be praying for your little Washbourne. He sure is a cutie. Sending positive thoughts and healing prayers your way. Please keep us posted.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Wishing you the best and hoping you have several more happy months with your cat. :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I am so sorry to hear this, sending prayers and healing energy your way

:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh dear...I hope you get encouraging news. Saying prayers for a good outcome.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Did they test for diabetes? Cindy{Riley's mom} and I were just talking about this yesterday. She said they see more cats coming down with diabetes than ever before. I hope it is nothing serious, and hope for the best for Washbourne.:hug8:
He is not diabetic... I was actually hoping for that since of the things that cause too much water in and out it has the best long-term prognosis and is pretty easily managed with food and shots. There are no signs that he's having any blood sugar problems though- there was no glucose in his urine and only the correct amount in his blood.

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
That is so sad. He is such a beautiful boy. I'm hoping you get happier results than you fear. *hugs*

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
so sorry to hear this Sharpie. Hope he stays well and with you for many many more years :hug8:

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Keeping you in my parayers :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am so sorry.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
**UPDATE**

So, one test filled day and a few hundred dollars later and we don't know what is wrong with him. We know that he doesn't have any visible masses in his abdomen, and that his calcium is very high (causing the drinking and peeing), and there is a test coming back in a week which will hopefully tell us WHY his calcium is high. It could still be cancer, just one we haven't found, or it could be something else. Hopefully the test will direct us in which way to go (more cancer hunting or hunting for something else all together).

ellimaye

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ellie
Thanks for the update on Wash. I've been thinking about him. It must be terribly frustrating to know something is wrong and yet have no answers. Keeping you guys in my prayers!:hug8:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
We got his heart murmur checked out and it's not a problem for him. So it's subcutaneous fluids to try to help him bring the calcium down until we get the blood panel results back and have a better direction for our next steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.