• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Warning! Painted Wood Beads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Doris - I am not sure how long exactly but I know they've had them for quite sometime.
That's really sad, isn't it?

Shopping on line for our birds should be fun - but more than that - it MUST be as safe as humanly possible. No exceptions, no excuses.

Doris

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ugh, that disgusting. I'm sure they have it "marked safe for birds!" without really following up with their claim :mad: I certainly won't get any of those for my birds, thanks for the heads up Doris.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Holy cow Doris! That was the answer they gave you? We have to make an informed decision? How does one go about that if they don't even tell you what it's made out of? Why in the world would anyone carry something that had anything toxic on it for birds, humans, whatever? I'm really saddened and kind of sick to my stomach over this. I do avoid anything with paint on it like that unless I've called to make sure, but how many people even think of doing that? All I can say is wow....
Wow is right Jen.
They care about one thing - making money.
They know ZIP about parrots or what is safe or un-safe for parrots.
You and I and many others might notice stuff like this, but how many never do???

Doris

tattooedispatcher

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Terri
What company/website were these ordered from? Though I haven't ordered anything lately but would like to pass word on to other birdie parronts who aren't on the forum.

Robin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
Thanks for the notice ! I don't have any and will not be getting any.

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
I sent everything back today. They are still going to charge me a 10% restocking fee though. It's just sad that I had to even deal with the hassle. They totally need a warning on their site. :(

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I sent everything back today. They are still going to charge me a 10% restocking fee though. It's just sad that I had to even deal with the hassle. They totally need a warning on their site. :(

that's a shame they are charging you :(

birdsafe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Arbogast
I just wanted to clarify this issue as I just got off the phone with this supplier in question. They are NOT saying that these small animal blocks -- and I don't offer those so I don't have expereince with them personally -- have lead in the paint. They have tested all thier painted toy parts and all have come back safe. The company, as a company position, will not without question say that there will never be a problem with any of their toy parts. In my judgment, this is simply a legal CYA position that many companies take. I would not be concerned if your birds have chewed these blocks -- if you are concerned about it, you should send off one of the blocks to a lab for testing.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I did not realize Batz charges a 10% restocking fee. I have not ever returned anything back except one time I ordered the "unwelded" orings and they sent me the "welded" so I don't think they charged the 10% for that being it was their error.

I just wanted to clarify this issue as I just got off the phone with this supplier in question. They are NOT saying that these small animal blocks -- and I don't offer those so I don't have expereince with them personally -- have lead in the paint. They have tested all thier painted toy parts and all have come back safe. The company, as a company position, will not without question say that there will never be a problem with any of their toy parts. In my judgment, this is simply a legal CYA position that many companies take. I would not be concerned if your birds have chewed these blocks -- if you are concerned about it, you should send off one of the blocks to a lab for testing.
Yah as Joe said about having it tested at a lab... that too would tell you how much is in the paint or even perhaps what else. Regardless though for the size they are, its a lot of paint on each of them.

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Those look like the kind of thing you probably don't want your bird chewing on anyway. They're covered in thick paint. Birds will ingest at least some of the paint if they're putting their mouth on them, more so if they're chewing on them. Just because something's non-toxic doesn't mean it can't make you or your bird sick or under the weather from ingesting a lot of it.

birdstuff

Real Name
Claudia
We used to sell these on our site as toy parts. I questioned their safety also and I was told they had tested them and there wasn't lead, so we started stocking them BUT I also ran my own tests on a few pieces from each bag in every new shipment that arrived, you just never know when things might change. I never found any trace of lead but with all the problems with China I discontinued them. They are cute and the birds love the shapes but they just weren't all the extra effort to ensure their safety. It's been well over a year, maybe two since I received my last shipment but I know they were OK back then.

animalcrazy

I have picked up around 800 of these painted beads from a seller who says that these beads are safe and have been tested for lead.. Since my bird is only interested in breaking the beads and throwing them, I am wondering if I should use these beads...

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
I would not use the beads. Also, if they have been tested for lead ask the vendor for a copy of the report showing that they do not contain lead.

animalcrazy

I would not use the beads. Also, if they have been tested for lead ask the vendor for a copy of the report showing that they do not contain lead.
Thanks for the info. The vendor did show me a copy of the report however, she said something else as well.. She stated that the few batches of beads she has, dont have lead in them, but she cant be sure that other batches dont have lead hence every time I get beads I should get them tested for lead..

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I have picked up around 800 of these painted beads from a seller who says that these beads are safe and have been tested for lead.. Since my bird is only interested in breaking the beads and throwing them, I am wondering if I should use these beads...
I would NEVER use them. There are plenty of safe bead options.

Aisell

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aisel Murad
Thanks so much for the info, because it's very dangerous for our birds!!!!

Lucille

Moving in
Why do you sell them for birds? It's up to the customers' discretion to use them or not.
For future use,
in case of harm from a bird toy (or anything else): There is something called an implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose. If a manufacturer knows an item is going to be used for a particular purpose, the item has to be reasonably fit for that purpose and the mfr can be sued for damages if it is not. Just like a baby teething ring for human babies cannot be made of toxic materials, a toy which anyone would expect that someone with a beak would chew on, also cannot contain materials so toxic as to kill the critter. This is true even if the manufacturer was unaware of the toxic nature of the paint or other defect, and in some cases a seller who buys from the manufacturer and then sells to a party who is then injured can also be held accountable despite lack of knowledge.
Of course, it is better to simply avoid items that one thinks might be a danger, but if for some reason you, reasonably not aware of the danger, use a product made for a bird and it kills the bird because of a manufacturing defect or problem, the manufacturer cannot simply tell you it was your choice to use it and disclaim responsibility for the death that way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.