• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Warning for those who use BirdBreeders.com

BirdBreeders

Checking out the neighborhood
My name is Greg, and I am the owner of birdbreeders.com.

At age 14, I had over 100 birds including budgies, lovebirds, finches and canaries and I sold my babies to a local pet store. I loved all animals, but especially birds. 12 years ago, I decided to get another pet bird. There were only a few "bird classifieds" sites at the time. It was very discouraging, because everyone I contacted on these sites was either no longer in business or the ads were so old that the birds were no longer available. Finding a bird online was a joke.
I wanted to learn to be a programmer at the time, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to change that. I envisioned a website where ads would expire and members could be removed at the click of a button. So, I purchased a domain name that I thought was fitting(you could just do that back then - lol) and published the site in 2003. Over the next few years, the site exploded. Unfortunately, so did hosting fees, so it was time to shut it down. After speaking with a few members and hearing their success as a member, i realized that was not an option. I don't have a problem with external ads, but decided they didn't belong on my site, so I began to charge a small fee. Ironically, the site traffic exploded again. After adding public reviews, again.

There is a little history I never shared. With that said, there seems to be a few things I need to make clear after coming across this post.

Yikes!
If you see only breeders with good reviews on birdbreeders.com, it's because the breeders with bad reviews have been removed!

Birdbreeders.com only post the positive comments about their premium members.
NOT TRUE!

We have NO PROBLEM posting bad reviews. If fact, reviews have been our best tool in weeding out the scammers.
By protecting our members and showing only good reviews, we would be doing a disservice. We are not about that. If a member receives a bad review and threatens to leave the site, they can, and hopefully will. To us, a membership fee is not worth the risk of harming the integrity of our site.

We are extremely picky about who we allow to list birds on our site and always will be. If you've ever listed birds there, or tried to, you probably know this. For starters, we don't even approve 9/10 accounts. Of the 10% that actually get approved, their reviews determine if they stay.

Have found out that the breeders themselves get to screen and post only the reviews they want.
Also not true.
When a breeder received a review, they were allowed to activate, or remove it. The word "remove" was a horrible choice on my part, because they were never actually removed. Instead, they were put into queue for me, an administrator, to decide if they were valid, not slanderous, and the customer actually did business with the breeder. If they were, I activated them myself. Admittedly, the volume of reviews and the fact it was not a fun job being the arbitrator, it sometimes too me a while to activate them. During that period, people thought they were filtered until they eventually appeared on the site.

If a review didn't make it on the site, there is probably a good reason for it. Our rating system is for breeders and their customers. Just because a breeder was rude, or made you sad, it doesn't mean you should leave a review. If that's the case, report them. Enough bad reports can also get them removed if they are making us look bad.

With the launch of the new site on 1/1/2015, the reviews system has been totally revamped. No review system is perfect, but we are doing our best to keep people informed of who they are buying from.

Thanks for listening to my rant..
Greg :coffeescreen:

Avian Avenue-- nice site! We tried the forum thing for years but it never took off, so we are sticking to our niche :). Keep up the good work.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks for your input, Greg.

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I was looking for a breeder and tried to post. An account was activated to inquire about a specific bird and could not post anything. Very disappoointing. I will check your site out.

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
I bought my TAG using Bird Breeders.com. I was new to parrot ownership we had just gotten a Quaker about a month earlier from a great breeder here in Southern IL. Im my anxiety I found Timmy on BB.com and he was fairly close in Ia. so after very limited questions I sent my deposit. 3 months later we went and picked Timmy up from the handfeeder in a parking lot in her town in Ia. At 1st I thought nothing of this figured it was just an easier place to find.
Then after the fact I find out that 10 flights were clipped on each wing :( and the woman told me she was the only hand feeder for this breeder and they clip every bird for their own safety because she has seen 1st hand too many birds break their neck or fly out the door, and they do this before the babies have even been allowed to fledge.
Again as I said before this was mostly my fault for NOT knowing all the proper questions to ask. So started this post to make sure anyone looking for a baby bird learns all the questions they should ask a breeder before they send a deposit on a baby bird.
My only problem with BB.com is they allow the breeders to pick and choose what reviews they post in the review section. And if Greg as he says will post negative reviews why was mine NOT posted. I stated in that review all the good things as well as the bad that I knew happened to Timmy the 1st 4 months of his life. I just wanted to warn buyers that the birds from this breeder were all clipped and not allowed to fledge.
As many of you here know we are still battling growth of Timmys flights at over 2 years old he still has been able to grow his right wings flights in.
Later I find out this is the only hand feeder for this breeder and she lives in a trailer with 31 of her own birds plus hand feeds all the babies that he hatches so I assume the safety of the wing clip is not for the bird but for convenience of the breeding and raising situation.
Ok again done with my rant if Greg or anyone else wishes to discuss this any farther you can messaged me here through the sight.

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
I was looking for a breeder and tried to post. An account was activated to inquire about a specific bird and could not post anything. Very disappoointing. I will check your site out.
BirdBreeders.com is a great sight to find birds, just be careful and learn all the questions you need to ask the breeder before you send any money. And again don't go by the reviews of that breeder there on the sight alone, try and find someone who has dealt with that breeder so you can get a more 1st hand review.

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I had no intention of buying at the time, just looking for a breeder for the future. After making many calls to breeders listed on the website, many of them told me they have gotten out of the business. I was disappointed that the information listed was not correct.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
What a wonderful and informative post, Greg! Thanks!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
My review of birdbreeders is limited but very positive.

I got my Precious there from the Bird Lady. She raises many species including macaws & this one time fostered my precious...
I interviewed many breeders by email & found them to all be pretty good from the answers they gave me.
I went for the older bird instead of a baby. My choice but still after 2 months don't have the type of interaction I would have had with a baby. Again my choice. Breeders tell you the things you want to hear in my experience no real way to check
but I was satisfied with Bird breeders & would use it to find the type of bird I was looking for.

Ask all sorts of questions. I made myself a pest. If they don't want to answer your questions then skip over them.
I found the most endearing nice people on the site most of whom I'd buy from.

I found leaving feedback was a pain as you had to register with a email but I liked my breeder enough to do it to repay her for all her kind attention to every detail as she made picking out my precious a joy. She took good care of him the 2 months she had him & stuck with me the 2 months it took for me to decide to get him...:rofl:

He is the sweetest bird just still very shy about coming out of the cage

We still stay in touch & she gives me advice if I need it.

Highly recommended if she has one of your species.

The Bird Lady at birdbreeders.com

Breeders Availability :: The Bird Lady, East of Dallas (off of I 20) , TX

has a rare rosiefrons & white ear conure

Tweet

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jacklyn
Have found out that the breeders themselves get to screen and post only the reviews they want. My TAG was well socialized and fairly healthy even though I think he was weaned to just sunflower seeds and they butchered his wings before he was allowed to fledge.
I would have wrote a long review and then somewhere down the lines after 10 or so lines be like " ok here's the stock, that's all fake " and explain the screening and what happened. Sometimes the breeders only read the first parts. But I would be surprised it it made it past

cajo

Checking out the neighborhood
For anyone who had read this complaint and is not willing to give the breeders that list on the Birdbreeders.com site a chance I would like you to know that there are some very good breeders on there and you should not judge all by the few bad ones. Also they have changed their site and a breeder no longer has the say as to if a review gets posted or not ALL reviews are posted without the conscent of the breeder. If you want to warn people about a bad breeder tell them who that breeder is but don't put down a site that honest breeders use and pay to use.

spurs21550

Meeting neighbors
I just got my Ekkie from a breeder on birdbreeders.com, and he is well socialized, not clipped so he flies very well, and eats a variety of fresh fruits and veggies, and pellets. I actually bought him with no reviews so I guess I got lucky. He now has several reviews and they are good reviews.