• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Warm beak?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I could just be over reacting but today I noticed ralphie's beak abnormally warm. It usually only gets like that after he has been snuggling with me under blankets. He's been acting fine he has been out playing with foot toys...er well the foot toys are sitting here and he deicided to chew my hard drive that I had sitting unplugged on my desk from having to take it for a presentation. But he's been running around and getting into everything. Pulling my hair and being as playful as always I just am worried about it because its really warm compared to normal.

Any ideas or am I just over reacting? Oh and just fyi we are inside in the air conditioning and have been all day so he's not hot from being outside or anything.

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could he have just been napping and had his beak tucked under his wing? I keep an eye on my birds' temps by touching their feet and beaks. If just the beak is hot and not the feet I don't worry. If both feet and beak start feeling overly warm and I know they are not showing signs of being sick in any way with maybe the exception of doing a little panting I dig out the spray bottle to mist them down a little bit so they can cool off. Since you have yours in an air conditioned room, I wouldn't think that would be necessary. In the winter I check feet and beaks to see how cold they are so I know how to adjust the heat setting on my pellet stoves.

I do think it's good to check their beaks and feet but believe you have to also look at the big picture and if you're not seeing any signs of sickness I wouldn't worry but just keep an eye open.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ruby always has a nice warm beak or feet after she's napped. :)

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Birds thermoregulate which means they can cool their feet and redirect heat if they need to, to other parts of their bodies.

Sounds like napping, I wouldn't worry unless your fid becomes quiet.

My Sam got quiet and wouldn't even do his morning call to me and I knew something wasn't right, that wasn't normal for him. Straight to the vet.

Could you call your vet and ask them if you should be concerned?

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
He hadn't been napping. He had been out and playing for a couple hours. He feels much better today I just was super worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.