• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wanting to get a bird. I have some questions

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I followed your link and found this little guy @webchirp @Monica I don't think I've ever seen a gcc that pallid?

Amarillo (above) was part of 300+ birds taken in from a bad (I'd call it hoarding) situation. :sad10:
So beautiful...is that the bird from Best Friends? I believe suncheek or perhaps moon cheek. If they would have been closer, I likely would have adopted one or two in that bunch. Oops yes, Best Friends...and Paprika...a roseifrons :heart:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Probably just be a regular ol' American Dilute... colors don't seem right for any other mutation.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I actually got to meet Amarillo and Paprika. I went and volunteered at the sanctuary a couple of weeks ago. I, of course, stayed at the bird part of it while my parents went and volunteered at the big animals place. They were extremely shy at first. Although, from what I've seen, most birds are like that with a stranger. After a while though Paprika came up to me and even let me hold him!

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Do African/Indian ringnecks require a seed mixture like Budgies or Cockatiels? Or is it just a good idea to always supply a little bit of seed for all birds? Can they have the same kinds of fruits, veggies, herbs, and spices as other birds? Would a good diet be Hagen pellets & Goldenfeast medium beak goldenobles, Golden feast Conure blend, and then a simple chop? By simple chop I mean like Carrots, Broccoli, Kale, Fresh ginger, Bell peppers, and then some fresh fruit on top. Stuff like that, that's not very much but I would add quite a bit more than that. Just can't think of very much more at the moment.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I believe ringnecks can have fruits, veggies, herbs, pellets, and things like that with no problem so long as there's balance. I'm not familiar with the pellet brands you've listed, but the chop sounds like a great way to include variety. I give my bird chop everyday along with herbs, spices, fruit, pellets, and a seed mixture every once in a while.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I was thinking I was going to make 2 separate chops to change up the diet day to day. For the first chop I was thinking Carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Fresh ginger, Red bell peppers, Radishes, Radish greens, Turmeric powder, Basil, Mint, Cantaloupe, and Cantaloupe seeds. I will put the Cantaloupe on fresh when chop is thawed out to avoid too much moisture. And then the second chop I was thinking, Orange and Green bell peppers, Kale, Steel cut oats, Sprouted mung beans, Sprouted chick peas, Cucumber, Butternut squash, Quinoa, Corn, and Mango and Strawberry put on afterwards when thawed.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like a winner to me :)
Your bird will be a lucky one

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I actually got to meet Amarillo and Paprika. I went and volunteered at the sanctuary a couple of weeks ago. I, of course, stayed at the bird part of it while my parents went and volunteered at the big animals place. They were extremely shy at first. Although, from what I've seen, most birds are like that with a stranger. After a while though Paprika came up to me and even let me hold him!
Oh my :heart::heart::heart:

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Wait I didn't even stop to think... Is coconut milk safe for parrots? I assume it is due to the flesh being safe. But I can't find anything online about it.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
And maybe some cool tea from time to time... Like Peppermint, or Chamomile. Ooooh, and maybe Rosehip and Ginger tea?? Sorry for making so many posts, but I'm going through another rush of parrot fever!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's alright. If you want more immediate answers, maybe you should make another thread to get things going. :)

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
With feeding should I give Chop and pellet in the morning and then mix some seeds/nuts with the pellets in the afternoon? And then give a little more chop in the evening? With snacks all throughout the day. How do you know if a bird is getting enough food? I'm assuming if it maintains a certain weight it's getting enough.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
From my understanding, you're only supposed to feed your bird twice a day, morning and afternoon (or evening). I feed Java breakfast at 7am and dinner at 3pm, leaving his food down for a few hours and then taking it up. As far as what to feed your bird, I guess it depends on season. During the Spring, Java will mow through zucchini, broccoli and grains, but after breeding season, he doesn't seem to be too interested in zucchini or grains. I would always offer a variety and let the bird choose what it wants to eat at whatever meal. With Java, I always try to give him a variety of colors and textures at each feeding: if he has rice pilaf, I'll add grated carrots on the side and a spoonful of baby food, sometimes I add pellets and nuts. If the majority of his meal has a similar texture, I toss in a few crunchy options like chia seeds, pellets, chopped nuts, steel cut oats, black-eyed peas. As long as you offer variety, you can't really go wrong.
And once you find out what species you plan on bringing home, you can look at weight average and go from there. Also, when you take the bird in for its first exam, the vet will be able to tell you what weight to maintain and things of that nature.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Do Quakers require seed like a budgie or a cockatiel? Or are they better off with very limited seeds to avoid fatty liver. I have been looking into them a lot recently and I think I might have some more questions in a minute.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I wouldn't say they "require" seed. Given the choice they'll go for sunflower seed any day but, at the risk of offending all the beautiful Quakers out there, my Quakers will try/eat just about anything/everything. The one Quaker who was found as an injured feral chick will eat just about everything, at least try it. The one seed that will start a knock-down-drag-out between the Quakers and the gccs are fresh seeds from any type of pepper. I'd call them the "cereal Mikey ad" (give it to Mikey) because for the most part they'll eat anything you put out for them.

Keep in mind too that some Quakers are mechanically inclined and can open cage/food/water doors and are more than happy to let out the fids in any other cages. Some are also builders

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I wouldn't say they "require" seed. Given the choice they'll go for sunflower seed any day but, at the risk of offending all the beautiful Quakers out there, my Quakers will try/eat just about anything/everything. The one Quaker who was found as an injured feral chick will eat just about everything, at least try it. The one seed that will start a knock-down-drag-out between the Quakers and the gccs are fresh seeds from any type of pepper. I'd call them the "cereal Mikey ad" (give it to Mikey) because for the most part they'll eat anything you put out for them.

Keep in mind too that some Quakers are mechanically inclined and can open cage/food/water doors and are more than happy to let out the fids in any other cages. Some are also builders

I must say that is a very nice nest. I was reading that they can build nests that weigh up to 200 lbs and I didn't believe it until I saw that video lol. Every time I see a bird with parakeet in its name I can't help but ask if they need to eat like budgies lol. And thank you for the info!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Then you might find these interesting:
Parrot Behavior Problems | Quaker
Wild Quaker Parrot Nests - Petcha

Of the 5 Quakers JJ is the best builder and has adapted his timothy grass tube into a nest, the girls Loofa & Daisy destroyed their grass tube but are weaving things in the ramps of their cage. Baby does some weaving but it's only half hearted. I'll try to find photos of JJ's nest. Polly is blind, so she doesn't do very much.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I just realized I didn't reply lol. Those videos are really cool! Are they in New York? Doesn't it get too cold for them? And now I have some questions on Love birds. Well, actually just one question. Most things I have read have suggested to get 2 birds so they're never lonely, but if I were to get one to start with, bond with it, then get a second one, bond with that one too and THEN put them together, would they both consider me part of their "flock"?