• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wanting to adopt in North Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I have messaged Soft Landings and they were nice enough to send us adoption forms and info, but she hasn't said anything about Matilda or any other birds. I'd like to know about a bird before I submit any personal info, but I hate to keep bugging her. I know she is busy. :unsure1: If Matilda has already been adopted or doesn't like men, then there is no need for us to apply.

How far are you willing to travel? Do you have I see you are in N. Tx. Do you have Facebook? There are a few FB pages I can recommend that allow rehoming of birds. I am in Bryan/College Station and can ask on my own page, if you are interested in travelling this far.
I just saw your post today when I was re-reading this thread. Well, we were already prepared to drive 4.5 hours to Oklahoma, so I think only 3.5h to your area sounds pretty good if you or your friends have anybirdy in mind. :) I do have a Facebook page, but I am not very good at it. I am willing to try if you have a group I should "friend" or "like" or whatever it's called. (I am so not cool. lol)

Last edited:

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I have messaged Soft Landings and they were nice enough to send us adoption forms and info, but she hasn't said anything about Matilda or any other birds. I'd like to know about a bird before I submit any personal info, but I hate to keep bugging her. I know she is busy. :unsure1: If Matilda has already been adopted or doesn't like men, then there is no need for us to apply.

I just saw your post today when I was re-reading this thread. Well, we were already prepared to drive 4.5 hours to Oklahoma, so I think only 3.5h to your area sounds pretty good if you or your friends have anybirdy in mind. :) I do have a Facebook page, but I am not very good at it. I am willing to try if you have a group I should "friend" or "like" or whatever it's called. (I am so not cool. lol)
DFW Parrots is one to keep on. They allow rehoming and have members from all over. My personal page is Brazos Valley Bird Buddies. As I think of others, will let you know. If I see anything I can PM you.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You're right to keep after Soft Landings...your concerns are very important to the situation here. When I started talking to a rescue (after Cassie passed) I ended up with over 30 emails sent there. They are no doubt very busy...but you do have the right to have any and all questions you have answered in a respectful way.
Hopefully, Matilda will still be available...and she likes guys...:fingerscrossed:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I emailed Soft Landings again, asking how they would like the forms submitted and also asked a couple of basic questions about Matilda again. My original inquiry was at the bottom of the email they sent me with the forms, so I'm sure she had to have seen my questions. I'm telling myself that she either sent me the forms in the first place because she thinks Matilda may be a match and just wants to know more about us, or didn't have a chance to read my inquiry because they're busy with helping the Houston shelters (which they are) and sent the forms anyway or automatically. I figure either way at least @Eloy says Matilda likes men and if we go ahead and sign all of the forms, she can look at them when she gets time. Thank you guys for the encouragement, but somehow I still feel pushy.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Be polite but keep contacting so they know your serious and haven't moved on. Once things calm down they'll probably go through their backlog and contact match up the people who have stayed in touch.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I am redoubling my efforts to find my husband a bird. I have been searching fairly regularly, screening any potentials before even bringing them to his attention because as I've said dealing with the scammers is a bit of a beating. And I feel like it's less defeating for me because I already have my bird. Yesterday I saw a post on Craigslist of a woman who rescued a green quaker from a cat and was searching for its owner. I found another post from the day before hers saying that someone had lost one, hoping it might be the same bird, so I forwarded them each other's listing info. As we were getting ready for bed, I told my husband about it. I thought it was good news in that there was likely a happy ending for the poor bird, but my husband got very quiet. I gave him a few minutes, apologized and asked if I'd upset him. He said it reminded him of Pistachio and I could tell he was really hurt.

As much as I love Buzzard he hasn't quite filled the hole that Pistachio left, but he does need me and keeps me busy. I love seeing our bond grow stronger every day and I know he will never replace 'Stachi, but has already made a place of his own in my heart. :heart: I am 100% sure that having him has helped me heal, but last night reminded me that my husband has not had that bond to help him heal and that after almost a year, I believe he is still hurting nearly as much as when Pistachio was taken. :(

I know many of you have special birds that have helped you though tough times as Buzzy has helped me, and I am now even more resolved to find my husband his companion.

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And your husband should be glad that he has you that understand his feeling and what he needs to be healing too.
I know many of you have special birds that have helped you though tough times as Buzzy has helped me, and I am now even more resolved to find my husband his companion.
I really hope that you soon find a new bird that will be perfect for you all! ♥
Give your husband a hug from me, and tell him that a new bird is out there waiting for him. :hug4:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
After re-reading this thread, I will try to contact Soft Landings again. Lisa did respond saying that she must be "answering messages in her head again". :) Who hasn't done that before?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@iamwhoiam :blink: How the heck did you do that? You wonderful, sneaky sorcerer you. :rpg9: But seriously, thanks! :D

@EkkieLuv Good point! With all of those cuties to look after it's amazing she has time for a website at all. lol Hope your home is safe and dry.
You are welcome. I am good at finding all kind of things on the internet. :) Good luck. Hope that you and the right bird find one another.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I know I'm late to this thread but I also would like to wish you the best of luck finding the right bird. And I'm sorry you had to deal with lots of scammers a long the way. It's scary that there seems to be so many out there. I hope you come across bird that's a good match for your husband soon
:hug8:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I think it's ridiculous that they won't speak to Matilda's information. I understand that rescues are busy, but they also need to respond to potentially good matches. Like you said, you have no interest if she's been adopted.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I emailed Soft Landings again, asking how they would like the forms submitted and also asked a couple of basic questions about Matilda again. My original inquiry was at the bottom of the email they sent me with the forms, so I'm sure she had to have seen my questions. I'm telling myself that she either sent me the forms in the first place because she thinks Matilda may be a match and just wants to know more about us, or didn't have a chance to read my inquiry because they're busy with helping the Houston shelters (which they are) and sent the forms anyway or automatically. I figure either way at least @Eloy says Matilda likes men and if we go ahead and sign all of the forms, she can look at them when she gets time. Thank you guys for the encouragement, but somehow I still feel pushy.
Generally, with rescue, we won't go into detail on specific bird(s) until we get the application. Marie gets hundreds and hundreds of emails so applications come first. If you are truly interested, complete the application. A few hoops in the beginning but then you'll be in. She also has waiting lists of people looking to adopt out their bird(s).

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thank you @webchirp. That makes me feel much better. I was a little frustrated when I asked about Matilda again and all I got back was, "Matilda is a completely wonderful bird. She will make someone a completely amazing family member." It's not much to go on, but it's more than we got before and it helps to know that short answers are pretty standard. At least we know she is available and this plus what you have all told me, I am very hopeful again. I already have the pages filled out & will have my husband sign his waiver and we'll get them scanned and emailed a.s.a.p. :)

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Thank you @webchirp. That makes me feel much better. I was a little frustrated when I asked about Matilda again and all I got back was, "Matilda is a completely wonderful bird. She will make someone a completely amazing family member." It's not much to go on, but it's more than we got before and it helps to know that short answers are pretty standard. At least we know she is available and this plus what you have all told me, I am very hopeful again. I already have the pages filled out & will have my husband sign his waiver and we'll get them scanned and emailed a.s.a.p. :)
Thank you! I know I sometimes get questions about the bigger birds at FFOM and I don't have much to go on. I could tell anyone and everyone all about my foster cheekies. I have had several people inquire and talk and talk but then no application or further interest. So I can only imagine other rescues fielding lots of those.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Thinking good thoughts...:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
"Matilda is a completely wonderful bird. She will make someone a completely amazing family member."
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bliss:
In fact I have a feeling that she still is available for a reason... ♥ SO HURRY UP!!! :D

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
I'll chime in again here and tell you to be patient. Lisa is ridiculously busy. She was on the road to pick up a bird in need at the spur of the moment the other day, which she gets requests for constantly. She has a heart of gold, works a full time job and spends every other waking moment taking care of the many birds in her care - and does an amazing job at it. Sorry if that sounds defensive of her but I've seen her in action and she deserves the benefit of the doubt. :heart: She also gets tons of emails, texts and FB messages and tries to respond to all of them. Send her the app. All good things are worth a little wait :D

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
No, it helps a lot. I can only imagine how crazy running a home-based rescue must be. I just didn't want to pester her. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.