• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wanting to adopt in North Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
A few months after Pistachio passed, we needed to try to fill the hole left in our lives so we put an ad out on Craigslist that we were interested in adopting a "small to medium-sized parrot". o_O A woman emailed us that she had a parrot that "might be a little bigger than you were looking for...." I saw this giant macaw and promptly deleted her email. Then I decided to un-delete it and show my husband because it wasn't my decision to make alone. That night we spoke with the woman and agreed to at least meet the bird the next day -and Buzzard came home with us that afternoon. :xflove: Buzzy bonded with me fairly quickly, I think because the woman had been his primary caregiver and, from some of the things she said, we assume her husband was not kind to Buzz. Over the past 8 months, my husband has watched as Buzzard and I play and bond, while he is left still feeling left out and empty. Pistachio was "our" bird, and so far Buzzard is just mine. :(

We tried Craigslist again, and a couple called us in February about adopting one of their CAGs. We did a phone interview and have visited the bird 3 times. Communication was great for the first few months, but the woman lost her job back in May and after that the messages, and our hope, tapered off. It has now been nearly two months since the last time she promised to send us pictures and an update and unfortunately it seems it is not going to happen after all. I understand that people change their minds or that circumstances change, but I wish they would have told us something. :shrug:

We already bought a beautiful 42x26 A&E playtop and gobs of grey-sized toys. My husband pointed out that Roxanne (the CAG) had more toys than our other birds and she hadn't even come to live with us. :ashamed3:

So once again, we are looking for another companion bird. Ideally one that prefers men or has no preference. Age, sex, species are not important to us. What is important is the individual. We have even discussed getting a baby from a breeder, but we would really prefer to adopt one instead because there are so many parrots out there in need of good homes. We have posted again on Craigslist, but all of the scam emails have been exhausting. I figure we may as well post here in the hopes that another member may know of a parrot that needs a home and may be a good fit.

upload_2017-8-9_22-28-39.jpeg

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We do not want to limit our search to a bird that fits the cage we bought. We are absolutely able and willing to purchase a larger cage if necessary, or another with smaller bar-spacing if need be for the right bird.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
If you don't mind traveling...there are a few absolutely adorable macaws at Soft Landings. Matilda is a military macaw and is such a corker and loves her little boy...Lisa usually only posts the super adorable videos of Matilda playing on her personal page. But she is def worth an inquiry!

Soft Landings Parrot Rescue, Inc. - Home | Facebook

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I wish you were in PA! I know a number of birds here in need of homes. Are there any rescues near you?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If you think a lot of Buzzard please don't get a dusty bird - like a Grey, Cockatoo, Cockatiel. Remember that macaws are susceptible to Pulmonary Hypersensitive Syndrome - it is deadly.

Macaw Asthma | BluePearl Veterinary Partners

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
There is one south of DFW, but we are in an apartment and I've heard most rescues won't consider you unless you live in a house? I could be wrong -I hope I am. Our complex has no problems with birds. :) We are okay with a home visit if they are open to us, and we don't mind visiting the shelters a few times first, but the farther they are, the fewer visits we could manage. Unfortunately my husband and I are on terribly conflicting schedules; great news for our fids at home, but incredibly difficult to arrange any outings.

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@webchirp Thank, I will see if I can find some more information on them. Soft landings is an 8.5 hours round trip, but some music, singing and treats should make the 4hr return ride not too hard on a bird, right? I'll look into them. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
All I can say is don't give up...sometimes it's in the most surprising place where you will find the bird that's waiting for you...:heart:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@Hankmacaw When my husband had his heart set on Roxanne (the CAG) I couldn't tell him no. We just bought another, bigger air filter & planned on keeping them in separate rooms with a filter in each and batting in the air vents. But now that we have realized that Roxanne is not going to happen, I am glad that he is open to other birds.

@cassiesdad I agree! My husband and I often say how life puts us where we need to be. If the company I was working for hadn't gone under 5 yeard ago and been absorbed by a competitor, I would have never been transferred to their office closer to where he worked & we wouldn't have crossed paths. But here we are... :D And had we not stopped for dog food and seen a certain green clown, we would never known how much joy birds can bring!

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would check with the individual rescue's policies. The ones that I'm familiar with just sometimes ask to see a copy of your rental agreement to make sure you're allowed pets, but don't refuse to adopt to you just because you're in an apartment complex. Some will only adopt out within a certain geographic area, etc. because of home visits. Some like the one I help with require bird classes before you're eligible to adopt. But most state on their website what they require.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I didn't know that. That would be amazing! :fairy2: Thank you @sunnysmom

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That's the same one! I only knew it as Wings of Love; no wonder I couldn't find the site. It's "Wings of Love Bird Haven". Thank you.

and @sunnysmom Congrats on your Spotlight Award! :ygg:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I saw those. The first lady isn't 100% sure she wants to rehome in her other post & the 2nd bird prefers women. We're trying to get a companion for my husband, not a mate for Buzzard, no matter what he tells you. ;)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wishing you all th best in your search. Suggest you also post on FB. There are several bird rescue group in Texas.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That would be my husband's jurisdiction. :) I'll suggest it. He'll know what that means and how to do it.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Soft landings is an 8.5 hours round trip, but some music, singing and treats should make the 4hr return ride not too hard on a bird, right?
Just a comment on this... Milton was a seven and a half round trip to bring him home...and a quick visit to the AV in the middle of the trip home. :) That was quite a day, indeed. ;)

Mocha Tiel and Nimbus (budgie) were adopted from a rescue with a five hour round trip for both. (Brecksville, OH)

And then there's Buddy...from south-central PA... @Laura729

The rewards for our road trips...priceless...:heart:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@cassiesdad I agree a new companion is totally worth a road trip, but how did you know you would be bringing somebirdy home that day? I think it would be very discouraging to drive that distance full of hope, only to drive home disappointed.

I understand visiting first, but after a certain distance, "just a visit" becomes less feasible for us; it is super hard for us to manage a day off together. (I am the only person in my office for over three months now and we should have 2-3 people depending on their availability, so I am having to cover all of the shifts. :confused:)

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Don't get me wrong, we'd move heaven and Earth to get to the right bird. :joyful: It's just there's only so many times we'd be allowed by our jobs to make those arrangements before our requests were denied and I'd hate it if that one time we can't get approval, it would have been the one. :what:

Status
Not open for further replies.