• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Want to set up a bioactive enclosure and need a little clarification

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
So, the plants I'm currently using are
1 small aloe vera*
1 wandering Jew
1 mother in law's tongue
1 small jade*

* And I mean small. The jade has a few leaves and the aloe is still a pup

I plan on adding a small Christmas cactus and spider plant once Tad's big enough to move into a larger home.

He currently also has a fake hanging plant from his old home that he likes to sleep in, a cave he doesn't use, and a piece of egg carton to explore.

My main questions are;

1- would I be able to get rid of the fake plant once I get my spider plant? Purely for aesthetic reasons. I'm a okay with leaving it.

2- I have heard that you can catch insects from your yard and home. Is this true? We don't use any chemicals on our property. The insects I have access to and would like to use are; isopods, small milipedes, and small snails. I also have earthworms, dandy longleggs, and pantry moths*.

*They sometimes get in our food. Would it be alright to use them/their larvae as treats?

3- What else could I buy, both now and later on when he's larger?

4- Could I introduce live moss and lichens? If so, what kind?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So I don't know much about the bioactive portion, but I do know that the biggest issue with bugs in the yard is that they can sometimes have parasites so I stick to farmed ones for my leopard gecko

Garet

Real Name
Garet
So I don't know much about the bioactive portion, but I do know that the biggest issue with bugs in the yard is that they can sometimes have parasites so I stick to farmed ones for my leopard gecko
I'm absolutely okay with buying them if I can find them. I thought the pantry moths would be okay, though, considering they're an isolated population that live inside our house.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I mean, they started somewhere, they didn't just exist in your kitchen since the beginning of time. I know my leopard has zero interest in anything flying lol.

I have to buy mine online; I don't have places around here to buy good quality bugs. I avoid crickets like the plague - I hate them and they are sooo noisy and stinky. I do dubia roaches, mealworms, and black soldier fly larva, with the occassional wax worm for treats.

My understanding is cresteds don't need that many bugs, maybe once a week at most? I could be wrong

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I mean, they started somewhere, they didn't just exist in your kitchen since the beginning of time. I know my leopard has zero interest in anything flying lol.

I have to buy mine online; I don't have places around here to buy good quality bugs. I avoid crickets like the plague - I hate them and they are sooo noisy and stinky. I do dubia roaches, mealworms, and black soldier fly larva, with the occassional wax worm for treats.

My understanding is cresteds don't need that many bugs, maybe once a week at most? I could be wrong
Right, derp. Their buggy ancestors could have had parasites. The swarm has been in the house for generations no matter how hard we try to get rid of them.

And yeah, they need them primarily for enrichment. I was kinda hoping to let him enjoy hunting the larvae we get from time to time.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
well if its been that long then they might be fine :)