• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Want to Adopt Maluccan Cockatoo

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
LOL. That's not being a hoarder. We had a home here last year that had over 200 cockatiels (and other animals) living in the attic with no heat, etc. That's a hoarder.
Ugh! I can't imagine the mess and misery.
Worked on both sides of shelter/rescue. You REALLY don't know the person until you go to the house, and even then...
I only cleaned - adoptions just seemed like too much responsibility. Just couldn't hand over an animal, and not totally KNOW.
It's scary out there!

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
OMG! That is insane! People that treat animals like that make me sick. Around here I get upset if I don't have the right color bow to match Bella's harness dress... and Yes, I ironed it! 20170520_134851.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Ugh! I can't imagine the mess and misery.
Worked on both sides of shelter/rescue. You REALLY don't know the person until you go to the house, and even then...
I only cleaned - adoptions just seemed like too much responsibility. Just couldn't hand over an animal, and not totally KNOW.
It's scary out there!
You don't. And I feel for both sides. I feel bad when a good person can't adopt because they're not in the right area, etc and I understand the rescue's concerns about making sure it's a safe home.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
For sure. All it takes is some bad apples to ruin things for the rest of us. I'm all for stricter laws for animal protection. Maybe then people would think twice before abusing God's creatures

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
The rescues put so much time and effort into rehabilitating the parrots they rescue I imagine it would be too heart breaking to have them come back when people were tired of them or they’re too noisy or too messy. I emailed Irena Schulz and told her about the 12 yr old U2 I brought home as my first large bird. She tried to amputate all 5 of my kids toes as well as the baby sitters kids toes too. She hates middle aged men and will leave them with a 2” gash given 1/2 the chance. And she’s a screamer .. fairly incessant... so I found a cheap contractor and added a 10 x 10 “sun” room that helps mute her noise. And she swears like a sailor sometimes.
I think Irena knew I wouldn’t give up on her rescue.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
My Lucy is a biter. The slightest thing triggers her so I have to be very careful. She's getting more relaxed as time goes by so maybe some day I won't have regular bite marks!

BTW- I always tell people I've been gardening!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Try craigs list for your state and local area :)

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Sounds good! You never know...!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
@EkkieLu

Just stumbled upon this thread. I know its old, but I was wondering if you ended up adopting a ‘too? :rolleyes:
I got a call about a hoarding situation and went to help. I ended up seeing over 70 birds all wedged in canary sized cages that hadn't been cleaned for months. So very sad to say the least. A male RB2 was the largest Bird involved (with my crew small birds won't fit in). So I said No to fostering him and YES to permanently adopting him!
20190205_152215.jpg

pawfectly

Walking the driveway
I got a call about a hoarding situation and went to help. I ended up seeing over 70 birds all wedged in canary sized cages that hadn't been cleaned for months. So very sad to say the least. A male RB2 was the largest Bird involved (with my crew small birds won't fit in). So I said No to fostering him and YES to permanently adopting him!
View attachment 298637
Yay! Glad this has a happy ending. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's beautiful! Congrats! How are things going with him?

katebf38

Sprinting down the street
View attachment 298637
Hurray for you! He’s beautiful!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
His chest was picked bald and the up side of his wings were nearly plucked clean. The feathers are starting to slowly come back. The vet suggested I wait another month or so and if he's still plucking put a poncho on him!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I just posted a thread on Newt wearing a poncho. Please check it out.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
He's beautiful! Congrats! How are things going with him?
Newt is doing very well, other than the occasional plucking. He wasn't ever let out of his cage before so having his door open all the time is very new to him. Took him a while to venture out, but I let him do it on his own time. Now he's all over the place! He loves having his crown scritched and puts his head down to let me know! He steps up but I have to scratch his head first! Lol He talks in a sweet little girl voice, says full sentances, and "chats" with my other birdies. He's still a little nervous and isn't allowed to sit on my shoulder yet - I've tried several times but he keeps biting my ear if I move my head too fast. He's finally learning to eat a healthy diet but it's slow going. He gets along with Sergei and Angel very well and play together all day. He's come so far and we totally love him!