• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wahhh

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
IMG_20170117_152356.jpg

Those are feather fragments on the bottom of Mango's cage when I got home from work today. Our princess is barbering again. :(

There are a few feathers along her shoulders that she always seems to nibble on when they grow in, seems to be a habit, we just accept it. But over the last few days she's been doing that. I've even seen her doing it when she's out and sitting on me.

Not sure what's set it off, but clearly something is bugging her.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So sorry! :( I hope you find out what causing this. But it's February soon, perhaps hormones?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Awww, I'm so sorry.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Write it down. Make a log book of things that changed, time of year, foods eaten, humidity, anything you can think of.

Always worth a re read

The Basics of Feather Picking

Also edit****

Change that cage spot. Put a toy where she was sitting and chewing. Whenever Korbel has a spot in his cage he barbers I change it. I move the perch or put a toy there. I rock his world when he starts up.

Last edited:

Heather F

It's quite possible it's hormones. The vet thought it was hormonal last time. Frodo is being a bit of a hormonal little butt recently too, either cuddly or cranky and frequently trying to hide out in the space between the fridge and the counter when he's out. And if he's got hormones she's probably got them too.

Her last barbering episode was late spring last year so it's not the same time of year, but we only got her the previous fall so it's hard to tell what her "normal" would be since this time last year she was still getting used to a new home.

Trying to think of anything that has changed lately in terms of diet and/or routine...

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Sometimes you need time to see a pattern. Just write it down, trust me. Note behavior, foods, time of year, new toys, just anything, even small.

If she does it while sitting on you, set her on a perch and walk away for a minute. Don't make a big deal other than moving her.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I can't really offer many ideas, but I hope Mango subsides in her barbering soon...

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
I'm so sorry! It's so frustrating when they were doing so well and start up again! :arghh:
I try to introduce new toys and stuff when Flynn starts up again, because he seems to be easily bored. I also have Metacam from the vet, which I give him on days when he seem particularly itchy.

Heather F

Yeah, she has a fluffy grey patch on one shoulder now :(

But I tell myself, she did the same thing last spring and stopped. She'll stop again. Her wings always look slightly ratty but she'll get over it, I know it. And she'll always be my pretty princess regardless of what she does to her feathers. :heart:

Heather F

I think it was a combination of dry winter air, hormones, and the beginnings of a moult causing a perfect storm of annoyed itchiness. She only chewed at her feathers for about a week, which was of course long enough to give herself some rather ratty spots. I'm no longer seeing feather bits lying around, but I am seeing some normal intact dropped feathers and floofs including them falling out in my fingers as I give her scritches, and her poor pretty face is all spiky with fresh pinfeathers. There are already a couple of fresh green spots in the grey fluffy patch where new feathers are coming in. :) Hopefully she will leave those at least mostly alone.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Mango...pweeze leeve da new fetherz alone...

Big Brother Milton da Too :umbrella2: