• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Waffle accidentally ate garlic & onion

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I feel like the dumbest/worst parrot Mommy right now.
I shared some of my breakfast earlier today—eggs, frozen hashbrowns, and swiss chard. It wasn’t until later after Waffle had a bit of diarrhea that I checked the hashbrowns and discovered they contain both dehydrated onion and garlic. :bash:
The poops are pretty much back to normal, and Waffle is playing, climbing, and eating food normally. Do you think it will be okay to wait until the morning and see how Waffle is doing? I am so scared I hurt my poor little bird. I am done being creative with food & sticking to fruit, veggies & pellets from now on!!

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you. The information out there is rather inconclusive. If Waffle seemed really off or still had diarrhea, I’d consider it more of an emergency. I feel so foolish. :sad1:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Waffle had a bit of diarrhea that I checked the hashbrowns and discovered they contain both dehydrated onion and garlic.
One thing that give them diarrhea is lactose. Is that lactose in hashbrowns?

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
I think you are going to be fine.........the diarrhea is clearing and he is acting normal. Just check on him off and on during the night to make yourself feel better, but I think it's OK. Disclaimer: I am not an Avian Vet, LOL

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Onions and garlic are largely avoided because it's bad for dogs and cats - for birds it is unknown. I think it's mostly repeated exposure to large amounts that is bad: Onions, Garlic And Birds - Petcha

Garlic is even in some dog foods now.

I think you are fine as long as you stay mindful to read ingredients before offering any prepackaged foods :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Ernie eats them. I think it's okay.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When I had a grey I fed her soft foods sometimes. One day I noticed she had an odor of garlic. Now I abhor that smell and never eat any so to have my bird stink was shocking. I checked the soft food ingredients and sure enough there was garlic on the list. She was a stinky girl from a while.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
When I had a grey I fed her soft foods sometimes. One day I noticed she had an odor of garlic. Now I abhor that smell and never eat any so to have my bird stink was shocking. I checked the soft food ingredients and sure enough there was garlic on the list. She was a stinky girl from a while.
:laugh:

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
waffle.jpg should be fine as I doubt he ate that much to be overly concerned about. It sounds like it was all cooked and should not present a problem other than maybe a bit of an upset stomach due to not being used to that rich of food. Keep an eye on him and if he gets worse get him to a Avian Vet.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
If in doubt call your vet

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I may call in the morning. They were unfortunately closed by the time I figured it all out. We’ll see how the morning poop goes!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have recipes for meals that can be cooked for people to share with birds. Small amounts of cooked garlic and onion are safe. May have just been a little richer than the tummy is used to?
Also, my dogs, ferrets and cats have always had small amounts of garlic in their diets, it helps to keep blood drinking parasites away. I use it because I do not like to use the chemical flea treatments, the vets I have seen for the last 20 odd years have all said it is fine as long as it is not a major part of the diet. Some of the vets I have used also give it to their dogs to help with various things.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I doubt that waffle would consume enough to warrant any issues! I think it’s more a worry for the Parront rather than the fid! It wouldn’t be the first time Pilo had a touch of the runs!

But I think processed foods should be avoided just the same!
:depressed: If it’s not good for us, it’s not good for... Well you get the picture! :)