1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Waffle accidentally ate garlic & onion

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by d_msparkles, 6/22/18.

1. d_msparkles

d_msparkles Sprinting down the street

I feel like the dumbest/worst parrot Mommy right now.
    I shared some of my breakfast earlier today—eggs, frozen hashbrowns, and swiss chard. It wasn’t until later after Waffle had a bit of diarrhea that I checked the hashbrowns and discovered they contain both dehydrated onion and garlic. :bash:
    The poops are pretty much back to normal, and Waffle is playing, climbing, and eating food normally. Do you think it will be okay to wait until the morning and see how Waffle is doing? I am so scared I hurt my poor little bird. I am done being creative with food & sticking to fruit, veggies & pellets from now on!!

2. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Basically it's the raw onion and garlic that may present problems. Just keep an eye on him for a while. You should be ok because the two things were cooked.

3. d_msparkles

Thank you. The information out there is rather inconclusive. If Waffle seemed really off or still had diarrhea, I’d consider it more of an emergency. I feel so foolish. :sad1:

4. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    One thing that give them diarrhea is lactose. Is that lactose in hashbrowns?

d_msparkles likes this.
  5. nu2birds

nu2birds Jogging around the block

Kurt
    I think you are going to be fine.........the diarrhea is clearing and he is acting normal. Just check on him off and on during the night to make yourself feel better, but I think it's OK. Disclaimer: I am not an Avian Vet, LOL

Lodah, ConureTiel and d_msparkles like this.
  6. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor I Can't Stop Posting! BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna
    Onions and garlic are largely avoided because it's bad for dogs and cats - for birds it is unknown. I think it's mostly repeated exposure to large amounts that is bad: Onions, Garlic And Birds - Petcha

Garlic is even in some dog foods now.

I think you are fine as long as you stay mindful to read ingredients before offering any prepackaged foods :)

Lodah, Ankou, Sarahmoluccan and 2 others like this.
  7. d_msparkles

@Eloy no dairy in the hashbrowns, and no dairy eaten at all.
    Thank you everyone else! I imagine Waffle got a bit of tummy irritation. But no more packaged foods until Mommy can be counted on to read labels!!

Icey, Lodah, ConureTiel and 1 other person like this.
  8. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Vendor

Tanya
    Ernie eats them. I think it's okay.

d_msparkles likes this.
  9. d_msparkles

Oh, that’s reassuring. Thank you!

finchly likes this.
  10. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    When I had a grey I fed her soft foods sometimes. One day I noticed she had an odor of garlic. Now I abhor that smell and never eat any so to have my bird stink was shocking. I checked the soft food ingredients and sure enough there was garlic on the list. She was a stinky girl from a while.

Lodah and d_msparkles like this.
  11. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Vendor

Tanya
    :laugh:

12. BirdManDan

BirdManDan Rollerblading along the road Vendor

Dan
    waffle.jpg should be fine as I doubt he ate that much to be overly concerned about. It sounds like it was all cooked and should not present a problem other than maybe a bit of an upset stomach due to not being used to that rich of food. Keep an eye on him and if he gets worse get him to a Avian Vet.

d_msparkles likes this.
  13. d_msparkles

Thank you! (The picture is great!)

14. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    If in doubt call your vet

15. d_msparkles

I may call in the morning. They were unfortunately closed by the time I figured it all out. We’ll see how the morning poop goes!

16. Shezbug

Shezbug I have a macaw and don't post enough photos

I have recipes for meals that can be cooked for people to share with birds. Small amounts of cooked garlic and onion are safe. May have just been a little richer than the tummy is used to?
    Also, my dogs, ferrets and cats have always had small amounts of garlic in their diets, it helps to keep blood drinking parasites away. I use it because I do not like to use the chemical flea treatments, the vets I have seen for the last 20 odd years have all said it is fine as long as it is not a major part of the diet. Some of the vets I have used also give it to their dogs to help with various things.

17. Lodah

Lodah Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

I doubt that waffle would consume enough to warrant any issues! I think it’s more a worry for the parront rather than the fid! It wouldn’t be the first time Pilo had a touch of the runs!

But I think processed foods should be avoided just the same!
    :depressed: If it’s not good for us, it’s not good for... Well you get the picture! :)

d_msparkles likes this.
  18. d_msparkles

Waffle’s (giant) morning poo was completely normal. Thanks everyone. I hope I didn’t misuse this forum, but perhaps a new bird owner can learn from me.

Clueless, Shezbug, Eloy and 1 other person like this.
  19. Lodah

Lodah Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

That’s what this forum is all about! We help each other! :)

20. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    Great! :) :marlenesmile:
    Yes! ♥

d_msparkles, Lodah and Shezbug like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)