• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

volunteer weekend, , I'm not sure....

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am very sorry about this difficult situation.
Updates on Happy and Peace health are greatly appreciated. It is good that Happy allows Andrea to care for her. Prayers for Peace and Happy of healing body, mind and heart.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Ok update time:
Peace and Happy are both doing good. They are eating, taking their meds. Happy finally seeming to settle into a routine. She allows both Nicky and Andrea to care for her. There definitely pinnies showing on her duck butt. They changed her chest protector daily and there are pinnies there too.
Peace is also molting but just a few here and there. He has never been a snuggle bird, but is allowing scritches and loves.
There is a Thanksgiving party on Saturday but I'm not going because of whatever bug I picked up, I don't want to spread it around. Nobody needs to get sick because of me.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that Peace and Happy are both doing well.
Hope you feel better soon.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
A decision has been made but it is nothing I can post here publicly until the clinic can find Tony. The clinic that he told Dr Barb that hired him, has never heard of him or hired him.
His father who works at our clinic is being tight lipped of his son's where abouts.
Here is something that all of you should know, for all the abuse/neglect cases that Dr Barb has turned into police. Less then 5% are ever prosecuted to the full charges. 95% are reduced to petty misdemeanor or dismissed.
In my book that is just sickening.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Update: Peace got Nicky yesterday on the wrist. Apparently Peace was not happy about being moved so Nick could clean his cage. It was whip around and nail the the arm of the hand that holding you.
Happy is being a good girl.
Dr Paul turned his notice in and is leaving December 15. It very awkward in the clinic with all that has gone on. He feels it's best to leave.
Dr Barb is looking for another veterinarian to help out. She hoping to find someone that will compatible with both mammals and our feathered friends.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am very sorry for this uncomfortable situation.
Saying a prayer that all things get put in right order and you regain comfort at the clinic.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Update time: bothe Peace and Happy are off of their anti fungal meds. They will continue to get ACV bi-weekly. They are eating well, lots of fresh greens, fruit, some type of orange mash. Happy is wall to wall pinnies. She is still in her jazzy collar and chest protector. She is still very afraid of sudden movements, she remains in the back kitchen until she is better adjusted. They are both getting showers bi-Weekly. Most of Happy's scabbing feet are healing, but there is one spot that deep and pusy. Dr Jon will be in tomorrow to look at it.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Update time: Peace and Happy are doing great. They seem to grow more confident daily. Dr Jon looked at her boo-boo on her foot again. It's very slow healing, and was deep at one time. He cleaned it and removed a bunch of dead skin and scar tissue. He's hoping that it will heal better. They are applying aloe and vitamin E oil daily. She is eating like trooper and has gained grams back.
Peace is peace, he has his good days and bad too. The last couple of days haven't been his best. He can be bully some days especially towards Fast Freddie. They have never been the best of pals. But will tolerate each other at distance. The last 2 days, they have gotten into each other spaces. Freddie got very upset he let it be known the whole clinic heard a huge squawk. Nick ran and Peace was flying back to his cage top, when he got there. No birdie got hurt but they will have be watched carefully.
There maybe a new vet by January 1. Nothing in stone yet but he has both avian and mammal experience. He lives within the radius of the cities.
We will see.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hiya! How are things? I've been MIA due to the holidays & spending tons of time on Buddy. Happy N ew Years!

:gbh: Rain

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Peace and Happy are doing great, eating well. I saw them today, Happy has about 30% of her feathers back, she is still frightened of people but it's better. She came to me briefly but it was only a few seconds before she got a minor pinch on my fore arm. She wanted to be with Andrea or Nick.
Peace is himself, sweet one minute, rowdy the next. It was mostly rowdy today. I'm not allowed to have any of the big guys on my shoulders, to easy to get chomped on. Peace tried several times, each time he put to back to a java tree. He finally just hung out with toys and forging toys.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for continuing to update us on Happy and Peace and their progress. It must be such a difficult situation for all of you :hug8:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow that was fast! I'm glad they are doing better! Peace sounds like his trust has greatly cone back. Really happy happy is making her way too! Thank you for be ing a volunteer (& updating us)

:bighug: Rain

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Happy's pinch on my fore arm 20181230_112821.jpg
My skin is so fragile that minor pinch leaves a bruisey looking ouchies

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
He must care for you a bit as he certainly could have done much worse. Sorry he got you and hopefully they'll both keep getting better and better.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Peace I could fall in love with, but I also know how loud he can get too. In a apartment he could be, a problem. I try very hard to love on him when I see him. Spend special time, just making him forging toys that take time to open and something to keep him occupied. Before Dr paul left he cut probably 50 board feet of assorted lumber into triangles, squares, circles all with SS eyehooks for pear hooks. Some of them have holes drilled in them for corks and treats. We can add other things like shredders, phone book chunks, and his favorite rainsticks. I have friend that works in book binding shop. The tubes he brings me are for the big guys, 1/4- 1/2" thick cardboard and some are 5-6' long. You can stuff them with newspaper, other tubes from paper towels, gift wrap with treats in them. It will take him a couple of days to rip them apart.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Happy's pinch on my fore arm View attachment 293286
My skin is so fragile that minor pinch leaves a bruisey looking ouchies
Oh my, he got you good! But like @Dartman said could've been so much worse. It looks like he wanted attention, bad attention may have been acceptable to him. I know w/ my Buddy lately thats the case. He doesn't seem to like me leaving the room. He yells/honks in the hopes I'll run in & scold. I couldn't imagine him in an apartment situation. My last apt my neighbors called the landlord to complain about my kids footsteps on way out door to work @ 5 am. Thankfully my rent was paid & they owed back rent. My landlord told them to.... Umm..... Fly a kite, yeah lets go w/ that.

I wish we could save them all. Hubby & I are talking rescue, & I've been watchin online but haven't found one yet. We need to get a good fit & I don't want to rush. Do you have any babies of your own? Something smaller?

:gbh: Rain

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
2 cockatiels, Sweet Pea and Bebe. Sweet Pea is 4yrs old, Bebe is 12 NOT real sure of his age i've had him 2yrs. He is a handful and half but love him just the same.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
2 cockatiels, Sweet Pea and Bebe. Sweet Pea is 4yrs old, Bebe is 12 NOT real sure of his age i've had him 2yrs. He is a handful and half but love him just the same.
:smileflower: Sometimes handfuls are the best, they're our challenge with the biggest rewards. :smileflower:

:hug8: Rain
ps you know its time for bed when your happy spellin your name rian instead of rain :dead:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Just for clarification Happy is a girl. Peace is a boy.