• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vitamin

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
I have eCotrition skin and plumage supplement for my birds and was wondering If I could directly give one drop or a little taste to them each day? It says to put three drops into one ounce of seed but that seems like it is unlikely to benefit them.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

AvianCrew

Real Name
michelle
:bump8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Why do you need to supplement your birds?

Milestone

Why do you need to supplement your birds?
Because I haven't been so vigilant with veggies lately so I thought a supplement would be good. Its mainly for Minty who has a brown stain above his cere ( I read its a lack of vitamin A and stuff).

AvianCrew

Real Name
michelle
Because I haven't been so vigilant with veggies lately so I thought a supplement would be good. Its mainly for Minty who has a brown stain above his cere ( I read its a lack of vitamin A and stuff).
Is Minty DNA tested?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I imagine since that is meant to be "diluted" in water or on seeds that 1 drop by mouth would be too much. And that can be bad - while you can't overdose water soluable vitamins like Vitamin C, fat soluable ones like Vitamin A, D, etc do build up in the body and can be harmful in extended periods of high dosage. They will get little benefit from them when they are on the seeds since they don't eat the shells. Have you tried pellets at all?

Milestone

"He" might be a female.
top two are male bottom two are females

The brown is above the cere and comes and goes. Thanks but I'm pretty positive he's male. He is 8 months old with a purple cere. I'll post a pic.

I imagine since that is meant to be "diluted" in water or on seeds that 1 drop by mouth would be too much. And that can be bad - while you can't overdose water soluable vitamins like Vitamin C, fat soluable ones like Vitamin A, D, etc do build up in the body and can be harmful in extended periods of high dosage. They will get little benefit from them when they are on the seeds since they don't eat the shells. Have you tried pellets at all?
Thanks, I agree. He didn't like pellets.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Thanks, I agree. He didn't like pellets.

A seed only diet is really not complete. How many types have you tried and for how long? They prefer seeds the same way a kid prefers candy to broccoli, so often you need to offer just the pellets for a few hours a day to get them too even try.

Milestone

I didn't try for very long but I'll give it a go again. He's tired 2 types, he eats one or two pellets but that's it.

AvianCrew

Real Name
michelle
@Milestone so your budgie's cere is closest to male, and I found this info:
Males of most colors will turn a vibrant blue, and females will change to tan. ... This usually occurs because the budgie has a tumor of the testicle that is producing female hormones, resulting in the cere color change. Females with a tan cere may develop brown hypertrophy of the cere, a thickening of cere tissue.

Attachments

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Pellets you can soak and serve warm might help. I think sprouts would benefit Minty, too, as he likes seeds. Budgies are granivores, right? He might accept sprouts. Whatever you try, you'll have to be patient, creative, and persistent. Morgan took 10 years to accept natural pellets.