• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Visiting with the flock

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Yesterday, we began visiting some of neighbors at the nursing home. We start once the weather turns tolerable. It's quite a bit of work getting travel cages ready and all the other things that you need to have a good visit. The birds knew something was up,cause we always let them know when we are going.
As usual,Milton,the U2,becomes everyone's favorite,as he plays with his toys,and generally hams it up for everyone. The tiels, Igor and Goalie, like to sit on people's shoulder and hang out together, and Titan,the IRN, will actually go from person to person around the room.He sits with the residents and"talks" with them for a few minutes ,and then moves on to the person next to him.
I love to hear the stories the residents tell about their pets that they have owned in the past. The stories are so beautiful,some so funny,others you have tears running.
After about an hour and a half, it was time to go. As we are leaving ,everyone was asking when we're coming back. I tell them we'll be back next month. One added little bonus, the house is quiet for the rest of the day!:)

MarleysMom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Debbie
That is so sweet of you. It's so nice that your birds are so well socialized they will go to anyone. What a gift you give the people in the nursing home!!! :heart::heart:

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
What a blessing you and your birds are bringing! That is very heartwarming. They are truly avian ambassadors! :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what a wonderful thing for you to do..I hope you do it on a regular basis...

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
That is wonderful of you!
When my dad was in a retirement home before he died I used to take my search dogs to visit. It was a retirement home for military men and they were always so happy to see us.
People don't realize how lonely residents in NH's can be, some have no family, family lives far away or they just don't visit. I'm sure you and your birds brightened everyone's day, Bless You for doing this!

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
thats awsome , I would love to take my birds to a senior home and let them visit everyone but the only ones I could take would be Opey , Squiggy and Rudy , I have to get Cody out of the house as soon as the weather gets nicer out he growls at any strangers except my girlfriend that comes over but he has gotten use to her

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
That's a wonderful act of caring you are doing for the residents!!

Status
Not open for further replies.