• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Virulent New Castles Disease

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

Association of Avian Veterinarians (AAV)

January 15 at 6:08 PM ·
The third case of virulent Newcastle disease has reached a commercial facility in southern California. USDA/APHIS and CDFA employees have been working seven days a week in Southern California to eradicate virulent Newcastle disease in backyard birds, and to protect commercial facilities.

Virulent Newcastle disease is a fatal respiratory virus in poultry. It is highly contagious, and birds die within days of being infected. There is no cure. Euthanasia is the only way to stop the spread of the virus and eradicate the disease. VND is primarily transmitted by the movement of infected birds, but also by people who have the virus on their clothes or shoes, and by equipment or vehicles that can carry and transport the disease from place to place.

It is critical that all bird owners follow good biosecurity practices to protect their birds and to stop the spread of the disease. Simple steps:
• Washing hands and scrubbing and disinfecting boots before and after entering a poultry area
• Keeping birds and property clean and disease-free
• Not moving birds on or off your property if you’re in an infected area
• Cleaning and disinfecting equipment and tires, before moving them off the property.

Virulent Newcastle disease is not a food safety concern, and no human cases of the virus have occurred from eating poultry. Properly cooked poultry products are safe to eat. Human infection is easily prevented by using standard personal protective equipment and following sound biosecurity practices. In very rare instances, people working directly with sick birds can develop mild symptoms that are like conjunctivitis or the flu.
This link below provides the full article and details.

cdfa.ca.gov

CDFA > AHFSS > AHB > Newcastle

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I read it is mostly on the West coast but not sure if that is true.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I misunderstood "backyard birds". I was relived when I saw it means poultry, but what's to stop wild birds from getting it and transmitting it? I don't know why it couldn't be. :depressed:

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Here is more information & does appear transmissible to our fid-type.

NDV is spread primarily through direct contact between healthy birds and the bodily discharges of infected birds. The disease is transmitted through infected birds' droppings and secretions from the nose, mouth, and eyes. NDV spreads rapidly among birds kept in confinement, such as commercially raised chickens.

High concentrations of the NDV are found in birds' bodily discharges; therefore, the disease can be spread easily by mechanical means. Virus-bearing material can be picked up on shoes and clothing and carried from an infected flock to a healthy one.

NDV can survive for several weeks in a warm and humid environment on birds' feathers, manure, and other materials. It can survive indefinitely in frozen material. However, the virus is destroyed rapidly by dehydration and by the ultraviolet rays in sunlight. Smuggled pet birds, especially Amazon parrots from Latin America, pose a great risk of introducing NDV into the US. Amazon parrots are carriers of the disease, but do not show symptoms, and are capable of shedding NDV for more than 400 days.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thank you @Kodigirl210 for finding that out. I know it's only logical, but I was hoping it wouldn't be the case. :( One more reason to be super careful with our birds.

Do y'all think F10 would kill it? If anything can I would think that could.

Last edited: