• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vinegar to clean cages?

SamAlexandra

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Hello, I hope I'm posting in the right place. I want to do a deep clean on my budgies cage, and I've read white vinegar is a good thing to use.

Unfortunately I can't buy that where I live, only destilled malt vinegar.

Does anyone know if that would be just as effective and safe?
If so what ratio of water to vinegar should I use? And if not, what cleaners would you recommend?

Thank you in advance! :)

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I don't know where you are in England but most places will sell all kinds of vinegar.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Hello, I hope I'm posting in the right place. I want to do a deep clean on my budgies cage, and I've read white vinegar is a good thing to use.

Unfortunately I can't buy that where I live, only destilled malt vinegar.

Does anyone know if that would be just as effective and safe?
If so what ratio of water to vinegar should I use? And if not, what cleaners would you recommend?

Thank you in advance! :)
I think I read a thread about this before. Let me search....

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I think malt vinegar is 5% acetic acid so in theory there are some cleaning applications you can do with it. I wouldn't recommend it, it might smell delicious delicious on fish but I'd warrant it wouldn't be so great on a bird cage. I wouldn't know how long it would take to wear off either off the top of my head. I'd wear some old clothes and disinfect with a 1:10 bleach solution if you can't find white distilled vinegar. I like to use F10 which I get off Amazon, not sure if it's available in England. Keep in mind if you're trying to disinfect a cage from any possible diseases vinegar is not a viable solution anyway.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda

feathergirl

Walking the driveway
here is some information all about vinegar pretty interesting,

White vinegar is often used as a household cleaning agent.[37] Because it is acidic, it can dissolve mineral deposits from glass, coffee makers, and other smooth surfaces.[38] For most uses, dilution with water is recommended for safety and to avoid damaging the surfaces being cleaned.

Vinegar is an excellent solvent for cleaning epoxy resin and hardener, even after the epoxy has begun to harden. Malt vinegar sprinkled onto crumpled newspaper is a traditional, and still-popular, method of cleaning grease-smeared windows and mirrors in the United Kingdom.[39] Vinegar can be used for polishing brass or bronze. Vinegar is widely known as an effective cleaner of stainless steel and glass.

Vinegar has been reputed to have strong antibacterial properties. One test by Good Housekeeping's microbiologist found that 5% vinegar is 90% effective against mold and 99.9% effective against bacteria,[40] though another study showed that vinegar is less effective than Clorox and Lysol against poliovirus.[41] In modern times experts have advised against using vinegar as a household disinfectant against human pathogens, as it is less effective than chemical disinfectants.[22]

Vinegar is ideal for washing produce because it breaks down the wax coating and kills bacteria and mold. The editors of Cook's Illustrated found vinegar to be the most effective and safest way to wash fruits and vegetables, beating antibacterial soap, water and just a scrub brush in removing bacteria.

Vinegar - Wikipedia

edited to add this link White Vinegar - 2 x 5L: Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

Last edited:

SamAlexandra

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I like to use F10 which I get off Amazon, not sure if it's available in England. Keep in mind if you're trying to disinfect a cage from any possible diseases vinegar is not a viable solution anyway.
I use F10 to clean perches/toys, so I could definitely use that. Do you know how long I should leave the solution on before rinsing it off?
One of my budgies uses the bars of the cage a lot to get around, so I don't want her to injest too many chemicals.

SamAlexandra

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Thank you so much for all of your replies! I won't be using the vinegar. It's so frustrating that "regular" white vinegar isn't available here.

I'm concerned about Avian Gastric Yeast and/or candida, so I know everything needs to be kept very clean. (My vet is involved, currently trying to figure out the problem.) It's a little overwhelming when my girl's cage is SO big. If anyone happens to have any tips I'd really appreciate it.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I use Dawn dish soap and then vinegar rinse on both my cages.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You do not need to rinse F10 off. It is totally non-toxic to you or your bird. I have nebulized my bird with F10 as do many falconers. I have a friend who gave her bird a soaking in F10 with her vet's approval. F10 is non-toxic and non-corrosive. It also has the broadest spectrum of bacteria, fungus and molds that are killed by it.

F10 is readily available in England.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I use vinegar for everything. I mix it with water. It's the only thing I use in the house since i have dogs

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Apple cider vinegar is an alternative to white vinegar. It can be used at full strength and allowed to dry or diluted with water.