• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vid: He found the Motherlode of Palm Nuts!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Here's a vid I shot earlier today of Taboo. The little stinker discovered a cache of Palm Nuts that I had just washed and was getting ready to distribute to our parrots in their outdoor flights. Can you tell he likes those nuts? I gave him some to play with this afternoon and he's been busy with them ever since.....busy keeping them away from Voodoo! :rofl: Ah yes, that will have to be a video for another day!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Wooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww he is absolutely spectacular!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, i would say he likes the palm nuts

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I can't see it!!! And I want too!!

Ginger

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
He is a cutie and is really chowing down.

What kind of palm trees? I could get friends in PHX to gather some for me, if I just knew what kind of palms.
ML

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Where do you get them? Cassius says he wants some too! :D

drop

Cute video. I was also wondering where you get/buy them? I have seen them for sale from frozen once in awhile, is this how you buy yours? I have yet to try them, they sell out very fast when they have them :(

Last edited:

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Thank you, everyone! Palm nuts are seasonably available in South Florida and we pick them fresh for our birds. The ones you see in this video came from a Foxtail Palm tree. When mature, the nuts turn a dark red. We have found our birds enjoy them either green or red.

Taboo is only a baby yet (only about 7 months old now) so he is not up to actually cracking the nuts open but he and Voodoo do enjoy chewing them up and playing with them. Our mature birds though get right down to business and work hard to get the nut out. I just posted a video today showing 2 of our BFAs working the nuts yesterday. You might look at that if you want to see how birds truly chew them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.