• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vet Wrap vs. just Wrapping

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
I am trying to plan on making a hanging play stand for my Beaksey (and eventually baby Lovie Mo when he's ready for it). It will be a reverse graduated (can't think of the word at the moment) set of three or four rings (or triangles-depending on what I find) connected with either cotton or Jute/Sisal rope. I'm wondering if I should use vet wrap or non-pil fleece to wrap the rings.
Any thoughts?

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
What will the rings be made of? If you made the rings out of wood, like grapevine that is easy to wet, bend and form a ring, then there would be no need to wrap the rings at all. If you are doing the hula hoop type rings, then I would think the vet wrap would be easiest.

Rolanda

I was honestly thinking of using... wait for it... Embroidery hoops. They're cheap, readily available (as quilting hoops etc), and can be obtained in many sizes. Wrapping would be necessary. Wood would be great but I just don't seem to be finding readily available sources. Grapevine would be neat though, wouldn't it?

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Are the hoops treated with anything, they may chew thru to the wood. Grapevine sounds good

Rolanda

I would assume they are. I was thinking that enough wrap and close monitoring would cure any risk of that.
You both bring up great ideas with grapevine. Hmmmm.... Where to get grapevine...

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm sure a lot of AA vendors have some

Rolanda

OH, NOW I see what you both mean. I would really prefer to use something more substantial than the really twiggy grapevine. something solid. They also have plastic hoops.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What about PVC, talk to a vendor about the strength and let them know why you are considering it. Be careful with plastic

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
OH, NOW I see what you both mean. I would really prefer to use something more substantial than the really twiggy grapevine. something solid. They also have plastic hoops.
You can get some pretty thick grapevine and still form it into circles and it will be comfortable for their feet. You are in California. Bet you can find some.

Rolanda

You can get some pretty thick grapevine and still form it into circles and it will be comfortable for their feet. You are in California. Bet you can find some.
I started looking but am STILL looking. That's why I decided to look for something else. The search continues...
I am a CITY girl... just in case you meant look for it myself.:hehe:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
you live in Cali right? land of grapes and wine, find organic vineyard and talk to the owner. they trim the vines this time of the year good time to ask....

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I started looking but am STILL looking. That's why I decided to look for something else. The search continues...
I am a CITY girl... just in case you meant look for it myself.:hehe:
oh. LoL! I agree with Rocky's mom above. This is about the time of year that they trim back the vines, so you may be able to get some from the vineyards. And it may be free if you talk to the right people. Make sure and ask if they are pesticide free, though.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
if you do get grapevines from vineyards dont forget to bake it or bleach it or freeze it just in case there may little buggers

Rolanda

if you do get grapevines from vineyards dont forget to bake it or bleach it or freeze it just in case there may little buggers
Yes. Getting them clean would be the top priority. I've done cursory search... no Organic in SD proper. Moving my search out to Tamecula/Escondido.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
post ISO ad on craiglist in wino country, sure as shooting you may just find somebody. LOL, I would bake them 250 degrees, for at least 15 minutes

Rolanda

OH, GREAT IDEA!!! I don't use CL. I'll have my son or nephew do it for me.

Perriewinkle

I like using hula hoops and I wrap them with natural hemp, just enough to give grip. I believe that you can even buy adjustable hoops online. They are segmented