• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vet Visit for TD ????'s

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Hey everybody and everybirdy...

George and I are getting ready to head from California to Tennessee. I need to get a certified wellness check from a vet. Sometimes, I understand, you can be checked at the state lines. There's been a small outbreak of rabies (in the feral cat population) in Colorado, so I completely understand the need. We've gotten the dogs' shots caught up, but I am so worried about taking TD to a vet.

TD is so not used to any other people except for George and I. He's also not comfortable being touched, except for tickles (scritches) from me. I've read some pretty tragic stories, here on the Avenue and elsewhere, of fids going to the vet for something simple and not coming out. I'm terrified. I know it has to be done, but how do I know if the vet is really good with birds? There's only 3 near me that takes birds (well, two are near me...one not so close).

I called the first one and they only take walk-ins. Somehow, that bothers me...that they don't make appointments. I haven't called the others yet. These guys don't just take birds. They take just about any animal. Here's their info. If anyone out there has used, uses or knows anything about them, could you please let me know?

Loma Linda Animal Hospital

2605 South Waterman Ave E, San Bernardino, CA 92408
(909) 825-3144

Loma Linda Animal Hospital - Google Search

If anyone out there is near me in Southern California (I'm in the Inland Empire) and has a good Avian vet to recommend, please do! We leave in only 11 days!!!!

Thank you!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
There are threads too.....

I posted a link yesterday on an Amazon thread

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would try to find someone that treats a lot of birds. The first vet I took my tiel to said he treated all animals and was way to rough with my tiel. My tiel was traumatized and so was I. My current vet isn't avian certified but treats a large number of birds and has always been great with both of my birds.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have never heard of being checked at State lines for anything in the States. Sure going in or out to Canada, but not here. Sometimes transporting with airlines, but not private passenger cars.

You should be fine. Happy and safe travels! :besafe:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
They check you when you enter California, mostly for produce, but also for invasive species like quaker parrots.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A wellness checkup is a pretty light and quick checkup. It is a necessary evil and vets are skilled in the handling of animals. Being a one time thing with this vet and having never met I would insist in being in the room at all times during the exam. Even if you have to gown up (which I doubt). If they don't like that deal move on to vet that will. Keep your eyes on TD and everything will be fine.

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
They check you when you enter California, mostly for produce, but also for invasive species like quaker parrots.
California is stopping you at the state line now?

Tennessee could care less I move horses through there all the time and it’s rather hard to hide a horse but idk about states in between.

It should be a fairly basic check up. Read reviews and get there early and interview people in the lobby.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
There been doing it for as long as I can remember. I live near the NV state line. I usually bypass the check station even though they don’t stop you if you have a CA license plate. Sometimes I drive through if there is road construction on the streets through town. One time I had my tiels in the car, and they made me stop just to make sure there weren’t any other birds. When I was a kid I remember you couldn’t bring peaches in from out of state. Too much agricultural damage can happen from infested produce I guess. I don’t think they care if you bring horses and most legal animals in.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Where in Tennessee?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I drove from Nevada to CA with a cockatoo. They could care less about my bird, just wanted to know if I had any fruit. That was many years ago but I still think they just check for fruit. However it's always better to be safe rather than sorry and to check state info about crossing state lines with pets.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I have never heard of being checked at State lines for anything in the States
They check you when you enter California,
I traveled from AZ to KY in my motorhome
How long ago?
Tennessee could care less I move horses through there all the
That's good to know.
. I don’t think they care if you bring horses and most legal animals in.
That was many years ago but I still think they just check for fruit.
When I came to CA from ohOh I had two dogs and two cats with me. We were checked at the CA border...just for produce. They took my sunflower from my sister's yard that I had brought. Didn't even check the dogs for rabies vacs. It's different now. According to the Dept of Agriculture, domestic, companion animals must meet minimal requirements to travel State to State. Each State sets their own requirements. I sincerely doubt we will be checked at all, but why take a chance? I have been needing to update the dogs and have actually been anxious to hear what a vet would say as to TD's health. His nails seem quite long to me and no time like the present to establish a relationship with a good vet for all three of my babies, right? And , with my luck, ilI' be stopped at every State border we cross! :hehe: Thanks, everyone!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How long ago?
I go through about every one or two months, since I live close to the check station. If you have a CA license plate, they usually just wave you on through. If you are from out of state they might ask you a couple of questions. They usually don’t get completely thorough about it, and are mostly concerned with produce. If they happen to see an animal, they will probably just ask a question or two and move you along. Only illegal animals like Quaker’s would be cause for concern.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
About four years ago now. Was in and out of CA many times. Had to throw away a banana once.

Also, I went to KY by the southern route and came back by the northern route - no questions other than could they talk and can I take a picture.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
A banana!:rofl: That’s crazy!

Alien J

Avenue Veteran