• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
I recently got a baby conure to add to my flock. She is VERY nippy, and i am trying my best to teach her that this is not okay. I am trying to determine WHEN it happens so i can know the triggers... but its hard. sometimes she will fly to me and be at peace (Im not moving btw) and then all of a sudden my ear gets a bite. If im not moving and im giving her my attention (speaking to her softly) is this biting due to exploration? One time she was curious about bathing im water and she went down my arm to investigate.... Only to bite down on my finger. Mind you, i never force her to do anything she doesn't want to do. Everything is of her own violation. She is free to fly around the house 24/7 and has plenty of different toys and branches to play on.

She is 6 months old and being raised on chop and pellets. Is there anything i can do? Ive watched a couple videos but i want expert advice. Tia.

Attachments

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
One of my conures will bite my ear. I dont think hes trying to hurt me, i think he doesnt realize how hard hes biting.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
My pip is the nippy one and bites harder than remi
Pip too loves bathing in sink when I change water in my hands and bites my finger or palm while thrashing around in water remi does it too but a lot softer I think they get over excited having a bath and it’s misplaced not Meaning to bite I fill sink a bit more so my hands more in water with tap running so they don’t bite as they don’t like fully dipping their heads in

things I have found help and pip bites a lot less now
Is saying no bite and putting pip down on a perch and giving no attention
Step up training like laddering my fingers so pip steps up a few times then treat at first I gave a treat for every step up then slowly reduce treats to a few step ups only treat when they step up without a bite remember though babies will first check your finger with beak before stepping up as long as it gentle and not a bite it’s normal if it’s harder than you like say gentle
I have had to redo this with remi past few days as he started biting my finger when asked to step up but that’s probably because I very rarely ask to step up I normally tap my finger or arm and they come rather than step up

you can also do target training either with a stick or just tapping your finger on where you want them to go perch etc

trick training helps keep pip occupied loves to do tricks more than remi pip will go get the hoops from under cage take it off its stand and fetch me hoop drop it in front of me for a treat if I am not paying attention or will wave and flip around perch when wants treats

I’ve found teaching tunnel under my hand helped pip first few times bite my hand rather than go through I just hold a safflower seed at end now pip goes through without biting

if pip doesn’t want to step up will push backwards on perch before so I just leave has I know that’s pip saying no

they are very clever birds and catch on quick don’t get me wrong pip still can nip hard still at times but it’s so much less than when I first got pip

Last edited:

YogiBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
My pip is the nippy one and bites harder than remi
Pip too loves bathing in sink when I change water in my hands and bites my finger or palm while thrashing around in water remi does it too but a lot softer I think they get over excited having a bath and it’s misplaced not Meaning to bite I fill sink a bit more so my hands more in water with tap running so they don’t bite as they don’t like fully dipping their heads in

things I have found help and pip bites a lot less now
Is saying no bite and putting pip down on a perch and giving no attention
Step up training like laddering my fingers so pip steps up a few times then treat at first I gave a treat for every step up then slowly reduce treats to a few step ups only treat when they step up without a bite remember though babies will first check your finger with beak before stepping up as long as it gentle and not a bite it’s normal if it’s harder than you like say gentle
I have had to redo this with remi past few days as he started biting my finger when asked to step up but that’s probably because I very rarely ask to step up I normally tap my finger or arm and they come rather than step up

you can also do target training either with a stick or just tapping your finger on where you want them to go perch etc

trick training helps keep pip occupied loves to do tricks more than remi pip will go get the hoops from under cage take it off its stand and fetch me hoop drop it in front of me for a treat if I am not paying attention or will wave and flip around perch when wants treats

I’ve found teaching tunnel under my hand helped pip first few times bite my hand rather than go through I just hold a safflower seed at end now pip goes through without biting

if pip doesn’t want to step up will push backwards on perch before so I just leave has I know that’s pip saying no

they are very clever birds and catch on quick don’t get me wrong pip still can nip hard still at times but it’s so much less than when I first got pip
ill definitely consider training her in the touch technique... it's only been like 4 days but it's still a good idea to start early. Pina is a cutie pie and loves to snuggle, so i dont want to lose that about her. thanks for your reply.