• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Very large aviary?

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
So something I have always considered (keep in mind this is long term down the road, we're building my current birds an outdoor aviary first so this is a good 1-2 years out from even being considered) is rescuing some unwanted untame budgies and setting up a nice aviary situation for them where in the warmer months they could have indoor outdoor access but then in the winters they move inside with us into double flight cages or something similar.

I've seen pictures of people doing this successfully but how would I be able to ensure the birds wouldn't fight or anything like that. I have seen HUGE flocks of budgies and I've always wondered how they don't have problems. Its like my three birds look at each other funny and the world ends.

Can anyone think of any big concerns or red flags with this idea? I see so many unwanted budgies around me so I always considered doing something like this.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Great minds think alike!!! I also very badly want to do this for either budgies or cockatiels. Too many times I've seen people advertising to sell, like, seven cockatiels crammed in a small cage. Breaks my heart every time. :(

Though for me, I probably won't be able to do this until five years down the line, but still... I am so glad you started this conversation. Thank you!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
but then in the winters they move inside with us into double flight cages or something similar
This is where you will have problems. They will not adjust very well going from freedom (aviary) to being caged. Especially if you put more than 2 or odd numbers in a cage. IMO you're going to need an indoor aviary that provides the same thing as outside.
I have seen HUGE flocks of budgies and I've always wondered how they don't have problems.
This is the power of the flock. They live in flocks. The bigger the flock the more the rules/behaviour of a flock will dictate their behaviour. Providing there is enough room for all this.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@webchirp is the gal to talk to I think about how she keeps everyone :p Plus she just got some new aviaries I think!

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Great minds think alike!!! I also very badly want to do this for either budgies or cockatiels. Too many times I've seen people advertising to sell, like, seven cockatiels crammed in a small cage. Breaks my heart every time. :(

Though for me, I probably won't be able to do this until five years down the line, but still... I am so glad you started this conversation. Thank you!

Yeah agreed! People practically give them away here and often I see the same ones getting tossed around over and over again because they're not tame or they just don't want to deal with their mess/noise. I use to have budgies WAY back when. Like I had to have been like ten years old at most! I loved watching their shenanigans! Cockatiels around me come available here and there but not as often as other areas I've lived in.

This is where you will have problems. They will not adjust very well going from freedom (aviary) to being caged. Especially if you put more than 2 or odd numbers in a cage. IMO you're going to need an indoor aviary that provides the same thing as outside.

This is the power of the flock. They live in flocks. The bigger the flock the more the rules/behaviour of a flock will dictate their behaviour. Providing there is enough room for all this.

I wouldn't be opposed to this either. One of my set up ideas was building the aviary along our garage and building it indoor outdoor as we don't use the garage for cars or anything (I live on a farm so we have tons of outbuildings we put our cars in when weather is bad :p ) Usually our garage is storage and the cats come in a lot during the winter and hang out in there. (they'd be completely secure from the cats). But its a insulated and heated/cooled garage. We usually only worry about heating it as in the spring/summer/fall we leave the windows open and have room fans to keep the air circulating.

I was thinking about building it so they can go in and out the windows then in the winter close the windows and keep them inside and warm.

@webchirp is the gal to talk to I think about how she keeps everyone :p Plus she just got some new aviaries I think!

Hopefully she sees this :) I'd love to hear some of her experiences!

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Thank you so much for posting from me too! I've been doing the same thing. We take our little ones from their "birds' room" where the temperature is kept at 78-80 all the time with a humidity of 40%, outside in our DYI aviary. Fortunately, I live in N. CA and the weather is mild here year long. It's dry except for the El Nino rains that may come through (we were in a bad drought). We can get cold in the winter, sometimes a day or two of freezing or near.

We've had a back patio where, installed a fully enclosed canopy with a canvas top and insect liner all the way around. My husband insulated under the canvas roof with pond liner, then I purchased tapestry type heavy duty upholstery fabric and hung on the ceiling (maharajah style) with a large disco ball hanging from the middle (flies hate reflective light) and a heavy screen on top to allow for air. I added clear, heavy-duty, mold-free, shower curtains outside of the insect screen on plastic shower hooks (to open and close as needed), put an outdoor swamp cooler out there for use during the really hot days, and the birds loved it. We are planning to now re-install all new screen-type wiring all the way around the whole inside with a double door (net with a second opening that has heavy duty screen/glass), we just re-freshed the pond-liner on the roof, began putting in a ventilation w/filter system, and just purchased 2 large outdoor heating lamps (each 500 Sq ft. outdoor) that will be outside of the canopy on each open side to allow for either sun or heat (2 other sides are against the house), one wall has a window into our room and the other wall has a second screen door and a third slider. The outdoor heaters are really tall and the heat comes down from above. We also have 2 portable room to room heaters that works great, child proof with temperature (ceramic heater 8 yrs old). Our sycamore gets hacked back every winter to a stub (makes great chewing toys for our guys after cleaned and dried for a year) and the sun shines through keeping that area in the sun all day (both areas sit East/West and sun either comes through (winter) or passes right overhead (summer). In the summer, that same tree grows 25+ feet with huge leaves and provide us with fantastic shade.

I'd love to hear of large indoor/outdoor flight cages but ours are so used to this now. Unless we get another bird that is larger than our lovebird, we want to introduce to our flock (I don't see this happening unless there is an emergency), we don't mess with their "sleep area." Ours fly free in their room and sleep in the evening in the larges cages they have been in for a long time now, they are also ones we are comfortable grabbing and running with in the middle of the night without even thinking. They spend (other than 12-13 hrs sleep), they are out flying and the 1 hour in the sun in their cage. Our hens, as nervous as we believe chickens are, know our neighborhood quite well and us too. They, along with our dogs, are trained to run with us when we make a certain noise.

ps. I had to have my husband water blast the old paint and re-paint to assure the paint was okay for the birds. After, it turned out, the paint was okay throughout the whole house since the painter knew I had kids when we got the house painted last and was good about it and I apparently paid extra for it too (dang, long time ago) but better safe than sorry! I figured it was time anyway.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I really don't want them to breed and most of the set ups I've seen are breeding set ups. I've considered cutting the aviary in half and doing half with males and half females but I feel having all one gender would throw off the flock dynamics. Thoughts?

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I have something similar for parrotlets. There are a couple of budgies and finches though. The aviary is about 7x6 or so. I am planning on buying material for an extension. Want to add another 6x6 or 6x12 area. The birds get along well in there with only some squabbling. Breeding is not successful but was shocked when I had a couple of fledglings flying around. I keep nest boxes since it is added protection from elements and helps them feel secure. Just hadn't checked boxes in months. It is nice when you see them all foraging on the ground and then flying up to branches when they get spooked. I am lucky in that we get only one month of cold weather a year and birds are protected by heat lamps and plastic curtains on side to block wind.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I have something similar for parrotlets. There are a couple of budgies and finches though. The aviary is about 7x6 or so. I am planning on buying material for an extension. Want to add another 6x6 or 6x12 area. The birds get along well in there with only some squabbling. Breeding is not successful but was shocked when I had a couple of fledglings flying around. I keep nest boxes since it is added protection from elements and helps them feel secure. Just hadn't checked boxes in months. It is nice when you see them all foraging on the ground and then flying up to branches when they get spooked. I am lucky in that we get only one month of cold weather a year and birds are protected by heat lamps and plastic curtains on side to block wind.

Do you have any problems with the different species sharing the aviary or are the squabbles you talked about between the parakeets?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I was thinking about building it so they can go in and out the windows then in the winter close the windows and keep them inside and warm.
That’s what I would do. :)

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
They do squabble sometimes. Never any picking or blood draws. In fact they all hang out at feeders and waterers together. But if a pair is sitting together somewhere and another bird comes up they will lunge in warning. Then the other just flies away. Never any chasing. Hoping to get add on done soon as I have three parrotlets waiting for wings to grow out to be put in. And I would like a couple more colors. Not to breed but just for variety

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Well it doesn't get too cold or even snow. There may be a week where it is wet and cold. Usually shower curtains against the side to block the wind and rain. We also use heat lamps. I know eeeek heat lamps but feel that is safer than most other options. And since I have lots of nest boxes in there the birds go in there and that helps also. Living in tropical deep south Texas means that birds are safe weatherwise through most of the year.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Oh yes. Just visited Beaumont last November...I melted. I heard it got hit with Harvey. : ( Sorry if you got affected too.

We don't have the humidity and we are cooler in the evening. We just purchased outdoor heathers (super large, the ones they use in restaurants) and we have two small portable. I'm hoping we are able to use the patio (we can hose it all down easily when cleaning) out here this winter too. Thanks!

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Yeah here in Ohio it gets really cold haha! The wind burns your face its so cold! We don't normally keep it super warm in our garage but it probably stays in the mid 60s. We'd keep it warmer if there were birds in there tho :p

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
It just depends on the birds but I don't leave all mine out in the aviary. I need to build again at the new house. I actually thought about housing Zephyr with the three girls but last night he picked on Julip so that's out for now. But lots and lots of space would let them divide up if the needed to. You should contact Ziggys rescue as they do outside flights.

Rocco will not bother Giggie and Carlton...he doesn't like taking on two birds at a time. But those three can't be mixed with the rest of my guys. I use sheer nets to kind of section of "zones" so that others will stay in their area...aka Amada hates Happy but accidentally flies onto his cage if I don't have a barrier. It's just on one side though.

Man I wish mine would all get along...I'd do away with cages!

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
We put them all in the aviary together. The budgies are the most hyper and get "scolded" by my parrotlets who will take 3/4 of the large canopy and defend it like crazy. I don't mind because it gives them exercise and most of my birds are flighted. They love it in there and hang on the screen and ceiling. When I first put them in, they kind of froze, like "what is this?!!" It took them a few days and the braver ones Tito and Diablo, would fly all around and then the others would join.

I sit with them when they are out there. I don't leave them unsupervised in the outdoor aviary, anyway.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I don't think I'd have mixed species, this would be a single species aviary. Chandra that definitely gives me things to consider if I get some that don't get along. Where I am looking to build this it wouldn't be the end of the world to divide it up as needed, I just want to let them have as much flying space as possible :)

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I will be following this idea of yours. I too constantly see budgies being rehomed in my area. I would LOVE to do something like this in the future also. The harsh Atlantic Canadian weather we have will probably be an easier obstacle to overcome than my husband though LOL

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Yeah it gets pretty rough here in Ohio but I am sure you blow us out of the water! I'm hoping to build it so the inside section is big enough for the whole flock over the winter.