1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Very informative Blog from Dr. Scott Echols on ABV/PDD

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Greycloud, 5/11/13.

1. La Vena :>

La Vena :> Meeting neighbors

La Vena Coufal
    Please feel free to pm me any time. I would appreciate any information that you have. She has been on the meloxicam for a few months now, and even though it is helping a little...It's by no means fixing it completely. So, I'm hoping that there will be something that will stop if for good. Lolei is going through what you said...Her skin tears there every time she flaps her wings, which makes her pick at it more since I know it's painful. Kind of a vicious circle. Thanks for your help :)

2. allison

allison Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Allison
    Mutilation can be a sign of PDD. At the rescue I volunteered at they had PDD. 2 of the cockatoos mutilated themselves after the outbreak. One under his wing like your bird and one on his stomach. The PDD can attack their nerves and cause them discomfort. That being said, there are many other things that can cause these symptoms. I would take her into UC Davis. They are very experienced in PDD.

1 person likes this.
  3. La Vena :>

La Vena Coufal
    Thanks Allison...That's what I thought as well. I didn't realize I could take her directly to UC Davis. I know they have an excellent veterinary school there where they do lots of research. I think she also needs to be tested for giardia.

1 person likes this.
  4. sodakat

sodakat Rollerblading along the road

Kathy
    I can't PM you until you have 20 posts. Please call Dr Speers and ask if your bird could have similar bacteria to an eclectus male he is treating who is FINALLY recovering.

1 person likes this.
  5. La Vena :>

La Vena Coufal
    Oh..I was wondering why when I tried to pm it said I couldn't. Well, now I know :) I will definitely do that. I plan on calling tomorrow as a matter of fact and set an appointment for Friday. I will inquire about the Eclectus as well. Thank you Kathy:)

6. La Vena :>

La Vena Coufal
    Hi sodakat...I emailed Dr. Speer and asked him about the Eclectus. He told me that the it's case is very different than Lolei'sand that Lolei has a "presumed" bacterial dermatitis diagnosis. He was treating her symptomatically, since she has had no testing. He feels it's now time to do testing, since her problem isn't resolving. I also asked about the possibility of giardia. He said that there is no correlation between feather picking in Galahs and giardia, and it is only loosely documented in cockatiels. So, it looks like the next thing will be some tests tomorrow.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)