• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Very discouraged with my POI :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I must say that I am so glad I stuck with trying to understand my Poi. It would have been so sad for both of us if I had given up and went about finding someone to adopt him. Our lives have been so filled with discovery and laughter since Wiggles came to live here. Lots of bumps in the road but we made it. I can say now that we are on the home stretch of becoming good buddies.
Tonight Wiggles begged for long head rubs and kept his eyes closed, no biting, just tons of long purring sounds like a kitten. I had Christmas music on the CD player, some old fashioned stuff with horses hoof beats in the background. I walked into the bird room to find Wiggles bobbing his head to the music and making clicking sounds like the horsed hoof beats! He looked so pleased with himself! I am using a shorter stick these days, about 10 inches and Wiggles makes no moves to bite my hand or try to run down after me. Today was a much quieter day since I believe that he wants the company of the other birds and isn't calling loudly as before. My stitches have healed and my hurt feelings have too. Nothing like being bitten to make you re think your choices. I read that book by Jenny Gardiner - Winging It. It is a wonderful book and I highly recommend it!!!
I wear lots of light pastel colors now! I can say that wearing RED or Black is Not a good idea with a hormonal bird for some reason. I wonder if wearing Black just confuses the bird. Maybe we just look like a Shadow to them? Anyhow, no more Goth look! My husband says he likes my colors!

Last edited:

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Here it is January already and Wiggles and I are bonding I guess you would say. He is so much quieter that I can only say that all his noise in the beginning was just his settling in and getting used to how life would be here. He begs for Head Scritches and purrs endlessly when he gets one. Every time he does a step up he turns around and looks real hard at he as if to say "Okay, where's my Treat?" I have Wiggles in a much smaller cage most of the day right by my desk and the interaction between us is fine tuning now. I mean, all I have to do is change the channel on my radio and tune in some nice classical music and I can look over and see Wiggles gently swaying back and forth and looking at me with sleepy eyes! He is enjoying he music the same way I do!!
You really gotta watch out though. If you fart he will make the very same sound. Ahhhhhh.....BONDING IS WONDERFUL!
Katherine
:heart::heart:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:rofl::rofl::hug8::heart::hug8:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Happy to hear things are getting better :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I told you it would be worth it. Familiarity does not breed contempt, it breeds love, companionship and joy. Congrats. Next year's hormones will not be so difficult since you know what to expect and he knows what you will and will not put up with.

I am proud of you, kiddo, and of Wiggles. (I just think that is the cutest name.)

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
What a wonderful story! I'm just catching up now, but what a change from your initial post to now :)
This fall was crazy for my pois. Percy, my Red Belly would attack me! I suspect he's older, as he's generally always very mellow and laidback so I was quite surprised by this behavior! And Walter (aka Waltamina) has always been a little loopy, so of course he was a basket case. But they are sooo sweet when they get over all of that :) I simply adore my pois, they are such unique and lovable birds!

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Thank you all for your unwavering support while I got MY head on straight for my bird's sake!
I am exchanging sounds right now while I watch the home shopping club with my Blue Crown on my shoulder. Wiggles is in the bird room just a little ways away. He is doing chicken clucking, small dog barking and, one that I love, little piggy squealing! I imitate him and he loves it! After I get done in here and go back in the room where Wiggles is I pass by his cage which is lower than eye level. I look at him and he looks at me with an expression that only can be described as "I just love you so much mommy!" All of you bird lovers know the look! It's that soft squinty eyed thing with the flip of the wings that we all love.
In times of stress all I can say is Stay with it! Don't give up! The work is well worth the outcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.