• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Venting about Bad Breeders/Brokers

Birds are loud

Meeting neighbors
I just need to vent. Disclaimer I'm extremely pro breeder. But when breeders sell direct to brokers who have a documented history of selling diseased birds that is unexcusable. I watch bird adds quite frequently and tiss the season for brokers to flood the sales pages on various websites. Whatever happened to quarentine and disease testing? But who im really infuriated with are the breeders. A simple Google search shows how many bad reviews some of these brokers have with track records of selling diseased birds. It's blatant proof that these particular breeders don't care about anything but the $. And to top it off these disease riddled brokers are being sold birds that are rare in captivity and or endangered species basically ensuring that what little genetic diversity is left in the US populations of these species is doomed to disease. These breeders should be ashamed of themselves. Disgusting. And don't be bothered to chime in with that adopt don't shop nonsense bcuz so called "rescues" are hotbeds of avian disease.

To clarify some common avian diseases are capable of living on surfaces for weeks or more and can attach themselves to dust particles and become airborne. So physical contact between individuals is not required for transmission.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
I personally think if someone is going to sell their birds to a broker they are a crappy breeder.

I breed and raise Lovebirds and I could never even think of handing off my birds to a broker or a middleman (whether it be a pet store or what have you) with no idea who their forever home will be.

I really do think to adopt is the good way to go but also I think buying from a great reputable breeder is just as good when getting a new family member. Sadly there are too many breeders out there that just don't care but if people only buy from the good ones, the bad ones will be forced to stop since no money coming in.

I think the responsibility falls on the consumer more than anything. They choose what happens essentially.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Never met a breeder I didn’t absolutely hate. Since we’re venting.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The only breeder I've dealt with was the lady I bought Java from, who is Jessica Hurley at Lone Palm Aviaries. Even now, I'm not sure if Java is considered rescue, adopted or what, since he was going to be placed in another breeder program if I didn't convert him to a pet (hate that word). I was told that the male he was housed with has since been added to a breeding program in Oklahoma. I'm not sure if Java would have continued to be used as a breeder because of his disability. Hmmm, I may ask just out of curiosity.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
As far as I'm concerned, if you use a broker or other middleman to sell your birds, you're not a breeder. You're a human trash can.
It's often said in the dog world that there has never been a reputable breeder who sold their puppies in pet shops, and I think the same can be said about birds. Disease doesn't matter, behaviour doesn't matter, hybridizing doesn't matter, as long as the cash keeps rolling in.

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
I believe in rehoming birds rather than buying, especially from a traditional pet store. There are so many birds in need of a home. And they do not all have behavior problems. Go to any rescue organization to see. Mostly they are the large birds that end up in rescues or sanctuaries. A friend recently decided to move out of state and didn't want to take his 3 cockatiels. So guess who ended up finding them a home. While I had them, I changed them from a bad seed diet to pellets along with fresh veg. Took them for a vet check. Great birds, very easy to handle. It took 3 months but it all worked out very well. Very good home with young sisters. I met the adopter at the local bird club. Two of my birds are rehomes. Some would call it rescue but they were not abused or neglected as far as I can tell. Regardless where I acquired a bird, the first place I would go is to my avian vet for a thorough check, blood work and all.