• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Velociraptor macaw

Aerein

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Hello all. I will put some background here so that you can understand the direction of my question with behavior.
I have a 3 year old blue and gold macaw that I truly believe is not only lucky to be alive but I feel he will bear emotional scars for his whole life from the things he lived through.
Let me give you some background on him. his name is Harvey. A friend of mine who had never owned a bird but wanted one, got him and finished weaning him as he was hand fed. Though C tried, he missed a few essential steps in Harvey's training. I moved in with him and his first wife (he is like a little brother to me). I worked just a little with Harvey after I would work with and play with my cockatoo, but he was already snappy and only c could touch him.
C divorced. I moved. C married again. Over a year passed.
C divorced. January. Harvey was taken to his moms house. She is terrified of Harvey. At this point it was 3 months before I moved in and started working with Harvey every day.
Back to January. Harvey just got dropped off and hasn't seen c again. The one time he heard him on speaker phone, Harvey threw a screaming fit that lasted an hour.
He would sit huddled in his cage and only vocalized by screaming and yelling shut up.
The first time I came over to the house after he moved in, it had been a year since I had seen him.
I found out the exwife had been doing a lot to terrorize Harvey when c was gone. (Not an excuse. He should have seen, and cared for Harvey too so I blame him in part for the negligence as well). First I noticed the huge pile of feces in the grate and cage pan. I gave the cage to c to use and it was in perfect condition when I saw it a year before. Both front legs are bent now, the latch is broken, the toys and perches were missing as well. (I left them in the cage too). Harvey had 1 ring about 8 inches around and the diameter of my pinky to sit on and a small 6 inch long perch. The stainless steel bowls stained are black.
Harvey did nothing but scream and snap, lunging and very territorial. Not like a macaw will often test a person type lunge. This was get away anger and fear.
I let him out and he almost would not get out of the cage. I scrubbed the cage and so on and I ended up having to use a towel to put Harvey back in.
Now let me tell you the things I have learned since. 1. Mom caught wife slamming cage into the wall. 2. She saw the kids spraying the bird and when she asked what they were doing, they said "mommie does it all the time. She will spray him and just keep spraying him" with a stream spray not a mist. 3. His cage was put in a room and he was left covered. 4. The cage has dents and strangely broken bars. (He is terrified of things like brooms) After I moved in and started working with Harvey. He started talking again. And screaming. He imitates the cockatoo I used to have, he says hi Harvey, and shut up, I hate you, dam* f-×#$@ bird, shut the _ up, what are you doing, bad bird, and no no Harvey. He does scream like a woman and say ouch and I have to say it's one of the few times I hope someone got bitten.
Fast forward to now, it's been 4 months since I moved in. He gets out every day. Now on good food he has dropped feathers and replaced them. He has learned that he can get a mist bath now and seems to even be liking them. He does talk more, I have only had him on my arm twice at this point when he ended up on the floor. He did test me and then bit me, but not horribly. He is no longer rushing over like he is going to chew your arm off if you get near the cage, I am introducing the clicker as he seems to love banana chips. He will act like he wants to be petted by putting his back to the bars but then turn and bite. He will put his head down but then snap and bite his leg or nails. Sometimes he screams. I walk away if he screams. He will click his beak and sometimes bite toys, cage or his leg during interaction. He is starting to put his foot up for play (tickle foot) and act like he is interested in peekaboo and body gestures like bobbing. He takes treats now most of the time without biting. We ignore screaming and reward positive behavior. If he talks (other than cursing and so on) he gets spoken back to. He of course now has toys, chew items, forage things and perches and a variety of treats and food.
I will be taking him to the vet very soon about a few other concerns, (he seems clumsy and falls more than I think is normal during play) and again in September to get a health certificate before we move to new Mexico. He was outside the kitchen when he lived with the wife and all the cookware was non stick. He is a very lucky bird to be here but I worry about any lingering problems. Now he is very active and moves and plays like I expect a young macaw to do. He can still be very afraid of new things and reticent about change but there are many positive changes.
He does pull some feathers on his inside leg but not excessively. He also screams out of the blue for no reason, it's not a contact call and not even that I am king of the jungle normal macaw yell, it's a fear or anger shriek.
Sometimes he will yell once then wait then immediately say hi Harvey. He knows he gets a reply for a hi Harvey.
My parents raised birds and we had quite a few parrots and macaws as pets as well. I see positive changes but I also wonder if there more I can do.
I do plan on Harvey never being rehomed and even if he doesn't decide I am his person I still want to get him to a handleable point. He will get a new cage in October when we move and I have an aviator harness that I would like to be able to allow him flight (he has never flown-he used to walk all over with chris dogs).
Last night we had extinction burst type behavior, then agression. I never know whether I will get interested in people bird or angry at the world bird.
So questions, I am wondering if hemp oil will help him any. He will let me touch him about 10 seconds at this point then he bites. I have had him on kings, sshh for 2 months and it does seem to help the anxiety - of course he also sees that no one here will hurt him. He exhibits head down ruffled feathers, puts his back to cage bars, and is greeting me more but sometimes even just when I stop on my way by and say hi he will suddenly bite his leg and scream. I have had macaws before, the main scream he does is something learned and not quite a natural bird yell. I expect noise as a macaw certainly is not quite but I am getting to where it seems I get no where with behaviors. Thanks in advance for and information!

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
An all to familiar story! I feel so bad for Harvey! Since glad he is getting the care he so desperately needs! Thank you.

Linda & Harvey
THE .

I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE AVENUE!! WE'RE A BUNCH OF ANIMAL LOVERS HERE!! HOPE YOU FIT RIGHT IN!!

Last edited:

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Oh my goodness, how heartbreaking for Harvey. I'm so glad he's in a much better place now. It sounds like you're making fantastic progress, keep up the good work!

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
He does scream like a woman and say ouch and I have to say it's one of the few times I hope someone got bitten.

I liked that and for the record I hope so too.
you're the right person to accompany Harvey on his journey through life.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I have 2 blue front amazons.

Mine were afraid of brooms for quite some time, years maybe. It's all good now.

Patience and love can conquer mountains.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I have 2 blue front amazons.

Mine were afraid of brooms for quite some time, years maybe. It's all good now.

Patience and love can conquer mountains.

Scotty's still afraid of brooms, so I have to vacuum my kitchen. :shrug: Whatever works. Sad that a broom can be scarier than a noisy vacuum cleaner.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Scotty's still afraid of brooms, so I have to vacuum my kitchen. :shrug: Whatever works. Sad that a broom can be scarier than a noisy vacuum cleaner.
I used a broom around them but talked softly the entire time. They were nervous and it showed, but calmer while I talked softly.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Welcome Linda.
Your situation is somewhat like mine was 21 years ago. I had volunteered at a parrot sanctuary for 18 moths. This was a true sanctuary that birds came in and never ever went out. They took only the worst of the worst - ones that had been ruined by humans.

Not being a spring chicken I wanted an older bird and bought Hank (18/19 year old, wild caught). I thought I was ready for a bird like him, but I wasn't. He had been a display bird at a hotel in Las Vegas and had been terribly abused by teen age keepers for 10 years. To make things worse he had chronic Aspergillosis when I bought him and had to have constant treatment and medications - not fun and not easy. Hank (the bird in my Avatar) was the meanest bird I have ever run across. It took five years of effort, with both of us making compromises, but we made it to the point that we were the very best of buddies. When he died 6 years ago part of my heart died.

My first piece of advice is to avoid all bites. Bites are a success in your bird's opinion and a successful bite is self perpetuating. If he allows you to scratch him for 10 seconds, quit at 5 seconds - always leave with him wanting more and on a positive note. Bribe him a lot. Every time you walk past his cage drop a treat in his cup - leave the taking it from your hand for the future. Talk to him constantly tell him what a good bird he is, tell him what you are going to do - just talk, talk, talk. Don't push his buttons! When he acts uncomfortable (starts attacking, screaming) back off and apologize to him. This bird has been badly damaged and he can be much, much better/happier, with your help, but he may always have scars from his past. Hank never lost all of his scars, but we learned to live with the occasional meltdowns.

Get a "T" stick to move him. He can't bite you while on a "T" stick. Act silly around him - sing to him, dance for him, play with his toys and make silly noises/actions.

Make sure he has a good, nutritious diet so he feels good. Can't be very cheerful if you feel bad.

Has anyone told you that this takes patience. Lots of patience.

I'm going to call @MiniMacaw who has had a more recent experience with a badly abused younger macaw

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
It sounds like you are a brave and patient person.
It is horrifying how some people will treat other people and animals.
I wanted to send you a resource for when you move to New Mexico.
Anna runs the Macaw and Cockatoo Rescue of New Mexico. She has downsized a bit due to her own health, but still doing it.
I've met her and adopted from her and she absolutely understands birds and has an amazing ability to help, especially the big guys.
We've got a number of knowledgeable macaw owners here on AA, but if you ever need "eyeballs on" I wanted to share the info.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Thank you for taking care of Harvey. :hug2:

When I brought my macaw Bowser home he was very traumatized. He had been steadily abused by not being fed (the crop swab revealed he was eating his own feathers to feel full), held by his head and neck off the ground and left in an empty dog kennel outside with no perches, nothing in it for weeks.

When I first started working to get him comfortable, because he was terrified of anything, I talked softly to him all day whenever I could. Bowser is not a guy that likes loud noises to this day, but he responded very well to soft talking and even ballads I would (poorly lol) sing to him. Where many macaws like dancing with their people Bowser was terrified of any quick or loud movements. I learned to do everything very slowly for him. Even changing out a water dish meant singing a soft song first and inching the bowl out.

The way to Bowsers heart has always been calmness and good food. Pine nuts are a favorite, as well as warm bird bread. Just like we have comfort foods that can settle us down after a hard day, Bowser would slowly savor a bird bread slice at night before bed and instantly start his happy break grinding after. To help gain trust between us I also started sharing my nightly tea routine with him. I always have a chamomile tea and so Bowser started getting his own in a cup just for him. I’d sip mine and hold out the cup for bowser to sip his. He loved that and eventually got used to after tea scritches until he almost falls asleep.

I think the key is always patience like has been said above. And also seeing how Harvey, as the individual he is, needs care. I’ve had bowser for almost two years now and he still doesn’t like silly loud things or fast movements and that’s ok. He still gets super excited at a cup of tea at night and I’ll call that a win lol.

I think they’re so smart that they know when they’re loved finally. It may take years to accept it, but every day can bring a little progress. When getting Bowser over his fear of towels (he had been picked up by his previous owner by having heavy towels thrown on him and he was so scared of them) I was amazed how much trust he had put in me already. He loves showers and when he was younger I was worried about him catching a chill. So I’d put a towel around him and let him perch that way watching tv to dry off. :) The first few times he was pretty nervous but then he realized it meant fun family tv time and now he looks forward to it. Consistency will go a long way with building a relationship of trust. I found if I was confident in what I was doing in my interactions with Bowser then he felt that and was less nervous.

Also important for Bowser was learning to play. He had never had toys before so I got a variety to introduce him to. Play helped him gain confidence and find joy independently for the first time too. Plus I really believe having an environment full of colorful, fun toys helped make Bowser feel happy, which also helped him calm down.

I’m so glad Harvey has you now. I’m sure in time he’ll begin to blossom under good care and love. :pinksmile:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Over the years, Harvey will reveal snippets of his past through actions and organs more words/sounds. Those can be heart wrenching, so be prepared. And the vet visit, if comprehensive, will reveal a lot. He might be in pain or feeling poorly in addition to dealing with his past experiences: if that's the case, things will change some when he's feeling better.

I think it's a good sign that he screams when you walk away. I'd hang out in the room with him in his cage to provide ambient attention. If you a play stand, position it near his cage, so he can climb on it. Just be patient and spend time with him. You can always bribe him to return to the cage with a treat or food. Patience is the key. Eventually, it will sink in that you don't mean him any harm. I would hold off on trying to touch him. He's telling you he's not ready. I suspect that him turning his back prior to a bite attempt is something he learned to strike back at his tormentors, too. It's not a request to be touched.

When he does something you don't want him repeating, I'd ignore him completely and leave the room. He needs to be included in your life but on his terms. Thanks for saving him!

Aerein

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Wow, a lot of replies. Awesome. I will go through and reply to everyone, I see a few things I do, a few things I tried and a few great ideas. We are currently watching Rio while I type and reply to good words, lol.thank you all. I have to remind myself of the sad shivering fellow that came home and the much better and currently feeding his favorite toy, bird of today.

Aerein

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I had a nice reply and I went over the edit time......lol. I will try to remember stuff.
Bowser sounds like he has a wonderful person and has come a long way too!
Hank, I remember a green wing my dad had that was wild caught. He was a scary fellow when I was a kid, I remember my dad sitting and just talking to him for hours. He fell in love with someone who came to buy a horse and ended up going to live with that person, but he was a changed bird! I am sorry for your loss, it never really heals the hole in your heart that is, but there are memories we can smile about after time.

T stick. I tried that once when he fell off his cage. He was utterly terrified. I ended up with him getting on my arm after a long conversation, lots on thinking and even grabbing me to see if I would move. He jumped up nice as you please and I put him back on his cage.

He really never got a basic bird education. My friend never taught him about bite pressure, step up or any play things. He would reach out and grab beak to finger or let him climb up his body. Harvey has climbed up me, however I draw the line at chest high. With the mood swings, I like my glasses where they are thank you!

Talking, lets see. If he says anything except the phrases I want to weed out, I repeat and converse. If he screams I turn away or ignore. He has learned that a quick hi Harvey after gets him attention.

Going back into cage bribes......oh yes bandanna chips lol. Smarty feathers has even learned to swing back in and shut the door. Thank goodness for bandanna chips!

One day at a time.

Has anyone used or have an opinion on the hemp oil? Thanks!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My Jasper (25 yo GW female) has severe arthritis - she has even had two toes amputated because of the pain. She was on Metacam for many years, then on tramadol for a short period and the Dr. wanted to try CBD on her because of the long term potential effect on her kidneys. I gave her the CBD for six weeks and the dosage was clear up to .3ml and it had no effect on the pain. I'm now giving her the leftover CBD to help her sleep at night - I don't know if it is doing any good. I even tried the CBD for my arthritis for 30 days and it had no effect on the pain at all.

Jasper is now on Gabapentin and Celebrex and the pain is well under control.

Aerein

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Thank you for the info! Gabapentin is some strong stuff. Hope he keeps doing well.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Gabapentin was developed for neural pain and if the dosage is not too heavy it works well without damage. There can be damage to the kidneys, but that is only after long term usage. She gets a CBC and Chem Panel every six months and either an xray or CT scan once a year every thing has been fine (other than for her heart disease and atherosclerosis) for five years now. Celebrex was developed specifically developed for arthritis, and although bird arthritis does not develop the same as human arthritis, she has seen a lot of relief since we started the combination of gabapentin and Celebrex.

IMO - living in constant debilitating pain is not living. My niece who has MD takes gabapentin daily and has had not detrimental side effects.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
If you would like some ideas for forging treats n toys please let me know. I make tons of them as volunteer for vet clinic. Newest macaw ones are Dixie cups with nuts, dried fruit or nutriberries. Huge hit

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Ha4vey is so lucky to have you. I almost cried when I read your post. Patience is going to be as everyone said. Doesn't matter the size of the bird it's a two way street of patience and trust. He is slowly starting to trust you but he has a long way to go from what it sounds like. Shame you can't report the ex wife for animal cruelty.