• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vegetables and Cuttlebone

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Hello!

How are you guys!?
I'm was curious about what type of vegetables you guys feed your canaries. How often you give said vegetables? I've been alternating between Broccoli, Dandelion, and Romaine with Peeps's daily veggies, but I'm pretty sure there are other options. Any suggestions?

Also, I haven't seen him use his cuttlebone very often. He used to wear them down very fast, but I only see him pick on it from time to time lately. I feel he climbs onto it more than he actually uses it. Is that something to worry about?

Lastly, Peeps seems to be doing well since the last time I posted update photos. He says hi :)
20180413_082204.jpg 20180413_082205.jpg
20180402_170759.jpg Snapchat-1665240381.jpg

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Peeps you are killing me with your cuteness! No knowledge though here. Maybe you can shred carrots and try that?
@finchly

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
He’s so cuuuute! :heart:

There are many, many vegetables you can try. Canaries also like a little fruit (but don’t give too much). Let’s see.
Kale
Lettuce
Carrot (shredded or lightly cooked)
Peppers of all kinds
Sweet potato, cooked
Peas
Corn
Squash, all kinds
Parsley, cilantro
Green beans
Snap peas
Pumpkin - and since I cook a lot with pumpkin, I sometimes just add a teaspoon of the canned kind with whatever veggies I’m serving each morning.

Oh gosh. My brain isn’t working - I just woke up. I know there are more.

Also do you feed sprouts? They’re one of the most nutritious foods. You can just soak them overnight, or you can do the 2 or 3-day soak and actually get the little tails.

Another food I give my canaries is egg. I boil them and crush in the food processor, shells and all. Since Peeps has lost interest in the cuttlebone, egg shell might work. Cuttlebone actually is pretty low in value and egg shells are better. Sometimes I am lazy and scramble the egg instead of boiling.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Peeps you are killing me with your cuteness! No knowledge though here. Maybe you can shred carrots and try that?
@finchly
He’s so cuuuute! :heart:

There are many, many vegetables you can try. Canaries also like a little fruit (but don’t give too much). Let’s see.
Kale
Lettuce
Carrot (shredded or lightly cooked)
Peppers of all kinds
Sweet potato, cooked
Peas
Corn
Squash, all kinds
Parsley, cilantro
Green beans
Snap peas
Pumpkin - and since I cook a lot with pumpkin, I sometimes just add a teaspoon of the canned kind with whatever veggies I’m serving each morning.

Oh gosh. My brain isn’t working - I just woke up. I know there are more.

Also do you feed sprouts? They’re one of the most nutritious foods. You can just soak them overnight, or you can do the 2 or 3-day soak and actually get the little tails.

Another food I give my canaries is egg. I boil them and crush in the food processor, shells and all. Since Peeps has lost interest in the cuttlebone, egg shell might work. Cuttlebone actually is pretty low in value and egg shells are better. Sometimes I am lazy and scramble the egg instead of boiling.
received_10211307607822034.jpeg

And no, it's alright! You always give such educational responses @finchly im really greatful!

He loves scrambled eggs, ill make sure to add crushed eggshells next time!
I do mix a little bit of shredded carrots into his scrambled eggs sometimes too.

I've tried to give him a small slice of corn on the cob before, but he got freaked out. He's so fussy about new things, should I have given it to him with just the kernels?

No, I've never fed him sprouts? What kind? Can i use the alfalfa or clover ones in the store?
I've heard of sprouting seeds but never looked into it. I can definitely give it a try now that the weather is warming up. Are there specific seeds you recommend?

Again, thank you so much, I'll go to the store today and get some of the veggies you recommended :)

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

And no, it's alright! You always give such educational responses @finchly im really greatful!

He loves scrambled eggs, ill make sure to add crushed eggshells next time!
I do mix a little bit of shredded carrots into his scrambled eggs sometimes too.

I've tried to give him a small slice of corn on the cob before, but he got freaked out. He's so fussy about new things, should I have given it to him with just the kernels?

No, I've never fed him sprouts? What kind? Can i use the alfalfa or clover ones in the store?
I've heard of sprouting seeds but never looked into it. I can definitely give it a try now that the weather is warming up. Are there specific seeds you recommend?

Again, thank you so much, I'll go to the store today and get some of the veggies you recommended :)
:) Glad to help.

Don't buy too many (or freeze them)! He's small! I've been freezing the bags of kale and other greens, it seems to work out fine.

Corn on the cob, you can do it either way. If he freaks out put it a small distance away, and maybe another slice tomorrow and the next day, until it ceases being a "monster." I give mine kernels. Some days they get whole food/leaves/slices, and some days I throw it in the processor and chop it fine. Sometimes they get separate little piles but usually it's all together.

I have heard that the sprouts in the store have chemicals on them , but we eat them right? So I rinse mine a lot. No one has been hurt from it that I can see. I also use the sprout house, which you can get on their site or on Amazon, and they make an assortment of small packages for $18 that lasts forever so that you can try them all out. Today I am feeding this mix, which they like: Organic Bird Seed Sprouting Mix | Bird Feed

On that same site, I'm interested in getting the wheatgrass kit and letting them forage!

You can find lots of info here on AA or just online about sprouting. I have this sprouter, I soak the seeds overnight in a bowl, dump them in, and keep rinsing. Others have said they have mold issues but here in FL we have high humidity anyway.... I rinse a LOT through the day, and every time I rinse I switch the bottom seed tray to the top. No problems.

ETA: Oh - my male canary, if I give him a kale leaf or lettuce leaf he tries to bathe on it! So then when he gets chop, he rubs himself all around in that!!! :rofl:

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
:) Glad to help.

Don't buy too many (or freeze them)! He's small! I've been freezing the bags of kale and other greens, it seems to work out fine.

Corn on the cob, you can do it either way. If he freaks out put it a small distance away, and maybe another slice tomorrow and the next day, until it ceases being a "monster." I give mine kernels. Some days they get whole food/leaves/slices, and some days I throw it in the processor and chop it fine. Sometimes they get separate little piles but usually it's all together.

I have heard that the sprouts in the store have chemicals on them , but we eat them right? So I rinse mine a lot. No one has been hurt from it that I can see. I also use the sprout house, which you can get on their site or on Amazon, and they make an assortment of small packages for $18 that lasts forever so that you can try them all out. Today I am feeding this mix, which they like: Organic Bird Seed Sprouting Mix | Bird Feed

On that same site, I'm interested in getting the wheatgrass kit and letting them forage!

You can find lots of info here on AA or just online about sprouting. I have this sprouter, I soak the seeds overnight in a bowl, dump them in, and keep rinsing. Others have said they have mold issues but here in FL we have high humidity anyway.... I rinse a LOT through the day, and every time I rinse I switch the bottom seed tray to the top. No problems.

ETA: Oh - my male canary, if I give him a kale leaf or lettuce leaf he tries to bathe on it! So then when he gets chop, he rubs himself all around in that!!! :rofl:
That's adorable!!! Does he get a tinge of green after bathing on the leaves? xD

Turns out, Peeps likes parsley lol he has a green beak now and his cage floor is litered with leaves he accidentally dropped while eating lol
I got some cilatro as well, so he'll try that today with his scrambled egg.
I went ahead and got the 12 pack of organic assorted seeds, thank you for the recommendation, it seems like a good deal for the quality and mount. I think I'll get a small sprouting jar since its only for him at the time being. I shall post updates when I get started! :)

Thank you again, @finchly !!!

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Good Evening (or morning?)!

So my seeds arrived yesterday, and I got a great deal on mason jars and mesh canvas (friend gave me a discount and only paid ~$4 for 3 jars and 2 sheets!)

But now, I have some new questions @finchly ! How should I store the unused seeds, and how long do they last?

20180419_000707.jpg

Currently soaking the seeds, I'm so excited to watch them germinate and grow!

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh fun! It is 3:25 a.m. where I am. So...good morning?

I just store my seeds in a big ziplock bag. They last for ages. Seriously like a year.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Oh fun! It is 3:25 a.m. where I am. So...good morning?

I just store my seeds in a big ziplock bag. They last for ages. Seriously like a year.
omg that's early! But then again, it's 1:33 am here ahaha

Nice, I'm glad to hear that! It's going to take a while for Peeps to get through all those packets lol
I feel like I'm going to save a lot with his veggies now. Thank you so much!

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
It’s nearly 5:00 AM here - I have not slept! :p

Glad you’re trying sprouted seeds. And I must say that your Peeps is so cute! (I love his name, too!). I wish you luck with the whole sprouting process. :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin

Glad you’re trying sprouted seeds. And I must say that your Peeps is so cute! (I love his name, too!). I wish you luck with the whole sprouting process. :)
O dear! Hope you sleep better tonight! It often sucks to Pull the night through!:hug8:
It’s 11:44 midday here:D I also store my seeds in ziplock bags:)

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma

AWE SNAP! I hope you get some rest soon! And thank you so much, he is my baby lol <3 I'm really excited to see them grow. I can already imagine him eating tiny spouts and enjoying them!

O dear! Hope you sleep better tonight! It often sucks to Pull the night through!:hug8:
It’s 11:44 midday here:D I also store my seeds in ziplock bags:)
Whoa, already!?
Nice, I now have ziplock bags within ziplock bags! They're so simple to keep, i wish I had done this sooner lol thank you for replying as well :)