• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vasa Parrot Diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does anyone know the ideal diet for a Vasa Parrot? I know they don't do well on pellet-heavy diets, and require animal protein, but I'm not sure what I should feed Java. The internet says their main diet is seeds, nuts, and fruit, but I don't feed him commercial seeds, and I am starting to limit his fruit intake because it is messing with his behavior. I wish he loved vegetables as much as he loves fruit. I've asked the breeder a similar question and she recommended a commercial seed mix, cooked chicken, and whatever she's in the mood to toss into the aviary. It's been almost four months now that I've had him, but he's still very picky with vegetables. He has a wide variety that I include in his chop: kale, broccoli, rainbow chard, quinoa, lentils, bell peppers, acorn squash, carrots, zucchini, cauliflower, and things like that, but he picks at it and shovels it onto the floor. I'm still learning as I go, but he's eaten more fruit than vegetables, and I'm going to correct that. The problem is, I have yet to meet anyone with a Vasa, so it's difficult to gauge treatment for him. The only species I could possibly compare him to in regards to dietary needs is an Eclectus, but I've never owned one. Any advice on revamping his diet so he's getting the proper nutrition in the proper portions?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I found this that says

Fruits and veggies….50%
Grains……25%
Protein….15%
Pellets….. 10%

vasadiet - Eve the Vasa Parrot

As far as veggies, it's a lot of persistence. Offering it up in different ways helps, like different sizes or shapes, cooked vs raw, plate vs bowl. Eating it with him could also help.

You could also ask in the Nutrition for Pets group on Facebook. It's run by Dr. Scott Echols who is very knowledgeable about pet parrot diets, and he may have some insight.

Nutrition For Pets Public Group | Facebook

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Alright, I'll check that out. Thank you!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Good luck with that...hope you get some good advice

Interesting...Its hard with not commonly kept parrots.

Not sure what my Hawkhead should have also. Some says higher fat like macaws & more fruits...

Penny likes meat too...LOL Seems to prefer pumpkin seeds & almonds & fruit & carrots & of course her fav corn chip made w org blue corn, amaranth spouts & quinoa.

Really no seen her want much else even other nuts & seeds or pellets which I was told she ate...but then they said she did not like them much...

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good luck with that...hope you get some good advice

Interesting...Its hard with not commonly kept parrots.

Not sure what my Hawkhead should have also. Some says higher fat like macaws & more fruits...

Penny likes meat too...LOL Seems to prefer pumpkin seeds & almonds & fruit & carrots & of course her fav corn chip made w org blue corn, amaranth spouts & quinoa.

Really no seen her want much else even other nuts & seeds or pellets which I was told she ate...but then they said she did not like them much...
Thank you. Yeah it's a bit confusing when you have to figure this stuff out as you go. Hopefully in the future, hawk heads and vasas won't be as foreign as they are now. All we can do is love our fids and do the best we can with what we have. :heart:

Casa de Vasa

Meeting neighbors
Mine like home grown sprouts, chop (fruits and veggies) , a good seed and grain mix, pellets. Vasa usually have great appetites. “Meat Protein” is offered occasionally but not every day. A bit of organic Red palm oil can be added too occasionally.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
Have you tried a chop with the proportions referenced for Vasa's? Start heavier with what he like and slowly increase it to the proportions required.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No, I haven't. Where could I find that information?

Status
Not open for further replies.