• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Vasa Parrot changes during breeding season (viewer discretion is advised)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
***EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES Only***

Thought I'd share some information of Vasa Parrots during breeding season. The link belongs to Kim Waldie who I have spoken to in the past.
Eve the Vasa Parrot

These are my personal pictures of Java during breeding season. This is for educational purposes.

You can see how dark his cere is and how white his beak is (minus the food).
20190417_081851.jpg

When he's not in season, his beak is a grayish color and his cere is much lighter.
20190219_111359.jpg

And the hemipenis (not for the squeamish)
20190417_081834.jpg

20190417_081908.jpg

The last one is a male Lesser Vasa parrot with full cloaca extension. This is NORMAL.
medium_cock-vasa_edited-1.jpg

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Vasa's are so very interesting! Thanks for sharing. That poor guy in that last picture, it must be tough to get about like that even for a short time.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
O, wow, I never knew. It's very interesting. Nature is full of wonders. Is this tippical only for vasa parrots? Full cloaca extension looks like something dangerous, like ugly disease. And it is normal. Does it hurt him?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
O, wow, I never knew. It's very interesting. Nature is full of wonders. Is this tippical only for vasa parrots? Full cloaca extension looks like something dangerous, like ugly disease. And it is normal. Does it hurt him?
Yes, Vasa parrots are the only parrot species with physical genitalia, and to my knowledge, it doesn't hurt them a bit, unless it gets caught on something.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Very interesting. Good of you to share :)

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Coloring changes to brighter colors to attract a mate. Kind of like us getting ready for a big date! LOL

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
how white his beak is (minus the food).
:laugh: I love messy beaks! Especially on this cutie! :heart: With his cere so dark and his beak so light, it looks like he's wearing a disguise.

Thank you for posting this information. It (and the assurance that it is normal) will be invaluable for any future vasa owners for sure! :thumbsup:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:laugh: I love messy beaks! Especially on this cutie! :heart: With his cere so dark and his beak so light, it looks like he's wearing a disguise.

Thank you for posting this information. It (and the assurance that it is normal) will be invaluable for any future vasa owners for sure! :thumbsup:

:heart: It'll also explain why Vasas aren't popular. Very few would expect such a drastic expansion in body parts.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
This is really great information - it's amazing how much his cere changes. And oh wow... that last picture, it's really great that you're providing information that that's normal, because I never would have guessed that that was a normal thing. You've probably saved a few people from a heart attack.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
We had another Vasa owner here a while back. I remember her showing his hemipenis. I can't remember if it was a video or pictures. They certainly are a very interesting species! When I see photos of Java I always think he has such a sweet innocent face. I had had a male and didn't know about the full blown extension I'd freak out thinking his insides were coming out in a bad way! WOWZA!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wow Java is just so interesting and special in so many different ways.
I love him to bits!!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for sharing! It's very interesting . How is his attitude towards you these days?
He's still very clingy. If I even think about stepping out of the room, he clings to the bars and screams bloody murder. When I pick him up, he chews my shirt and stuffs his head down the front to look for my forward-clasping bra that he likes to chew the zipper on. When he's sitting with me, he's a little more mobile, preferring to perch on my arm or climb up my chest, or sit on my leg. He's learned how to give me kisses when I ask, even though he's noticed my retainers a few times and tried to go for them. All in all, he's still a mommy's boy that wants my undivided attention, and if anyone tries to talk to me, he screams over them.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We had another Vasa owner here a while back. I remember her showing his hemipenis. I can't remember if it was a video or pictures. They certainly are a very interesting species! When I see photos of Java I always think he has such a sweet innocent face. I had had a male and didn't know about the full blown extension I'd freak out thinking his insides were coming out in a bad way! WOWZA!
Tell me about it lol. Knowing how extended it can become, I'm preparing myself for the day since it seems to be peeking out a bit more everyday. No DNA test needed here :D

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does the hemipenis stay out all day long during breeding season? :shy:
Luckily, no, but it's more noticeable during breeding season. When he's not in season, it's hardly visible, even when he poops. My mom and grandmother already asked 'what is that?' So, yeah, I had to explain to them what it was. It hangs out the most when he's clinging to the cage bars, but when he's just sitting, you don't really notice it.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
He's still very clingy. If I even think about stepping out of the room, he clings to the bars and screams bloody murder. When I pick him up, he chews my shirt and stuffs his head down the front to look for my forward-clasping bra that he likes to chew the zipper on. When he's sitting with me, he's a little more mobile, preferring to perch on my arm or climb up my chest, or sit on my leg. He's learned how to give me kisses when I ask, even though he's noticed my retainers a few times and tried to go for them. All in all, he's still a mommy's boy that wants my undivided attention, and if anyone tries to talk to me, he screams over them.

Thank you for answering my questions and again for sharing with us. It's just so unique therefore fascinating. I'm glad his attitude has been manageable for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.