1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Vasa Parrot changes during breeding season (viewer discretion is advised)

Discussion in 'Vasa Vista' started by Brittany0208, 4/17/19.

1. Brittany0208

Brittany0208 Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

***EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES Only***

Thought I'd share some information of Vasa Parrots during breeding season. The link belongs to Kim Waldie who I have spoken to in the past.
    Eve the Vasa Parrot

These are my personal pictures of Java during breeding season. This is for educational purposes.

You can see how dark his cere is and how white his beak is (minus the food).
    20190417_081851.jpg

When he's not in season, his beak is a grayish color and his cere is much lighter.
    20190219_111359.jpg

And the hemipenis (not for the squeamish)
    20190417_081834.jpg

20190417_081908.jpg

The last one is a male Lesser Vasa parrot with full cloaca extension. This is NORMAL.
    medium_cock-vasa_edited-1.jpg

Peachfaced, Eloy, Fuzzy and 8 others like this.
  2. Teckechick

Teckechick Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one! Celebirdy of the Month

Dawn
    Vasa's are so very interesting! Thanks for sharing. That poor guy in that last picture, it must be tough to get about like that even for a short time.

faislaq, Brittany0208 and Imogena like this.
  3. Imogena

Imogena Sprinting down the street

Joanna
    O, wow, I never knew. It's very interesting. Nature is full of wonders. Is this tippical only for vasa parrots? Full cloaca extension looks like something dangerous, like ugly disease. And it is normal. Does it hurt him?

4. Brittany0208

Brittany0208 Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Yes, Vasa parrots are the only parrot species with physical genitalia, and to my knowledge, it doesn't hurt them a bit, unless it gets caught on something.

faislaq, Hankmacaw and Teckechick like this.
  5. Imogena

Imogena Sprinting down the street

Joanna
    Oh, that's good to know.

Teckechick likes this.
  6. Zara

Zara Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Zara
    Very interesting. Good of you to share :)

Teckechick, faislaq and Brittany0208 like this.
  7. EkkieLu

EkkieLu Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Tricia
    Coloring changes to brighter colors to attract a mate. Kind of like us getting ready for a big date! LOL

Teckechick and Brittany0208 like this.
  8. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award SUPER HERO

Karen
    :laugh: I love messy beaks! Especially on this cutie! :heart: With his cere so dark and his beak so light, it looks like he's wearing a disguise. [​IMG]

Thank you for posting this information. It (and the assurance that it is normal) will be invaluable for any future vasa owners for sure! :thumbsup:

Teckechick, Zara and Brittany0208 like this.
  9. Brittany0208

:heart: It'll also explain why Vasas aren't popular. Very few would expect such a drastic expansion in body parts.

faislaq and Teckechick like this.
  10. BeanieofJustice

BeanieofJustice Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Steph
    This is really great information - it's amazing how much his cere changes. And oh wow... that last picture, it's really great that you're providing information that that's normal, because I never would have guessed that that was a normal thing. You've probably saved a few people from a heart attack.

Brittany0208 and faislaq like this.
  11. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Diane
    Thanks for sharing! It's very interesting . How is his attitude towards you these days?

12. Mockinbirdiva

Mockinbirdiva Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Andrea
    We had another Vasa owner here a while back. I remember her showing his hemipenis. I can't remember if it was a video or pictures. They certainly are a very interesting species! When I see photos of Java I always think he has such a sweet innocent face. I had had a male and didn't know about the full blown extension I'd freak out thinking his insides were coming out in a bad way! WOWZA!

13. Shezbug

Shezbug ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW! Moderator Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Wow Java is just so interesting and special in so many different ways.
    I love him to bits!!

Brittany0208 and Mockinbirdiva like this.
  14. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Rollerblading along the road Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Roz
    Thanks for sharing. Vasas are certainly interesting! The last pic is alarming!!

Brittany0208 and Mockinbirdiva like this.
  15. Brittany0208

He's still very clingy. If I even think about stepping out of the room, he clings to the bars and screams bloody murder. When I pick him up, he chews my shirt and stuffs his head down the front to look for my forward-clasping bra that he likes to chew the zipper on. When he's sitting with me, he's a little more mobile, preferring to perch on my arm or climb up my chest, or sit on my leg. He's learned how to give me kisses when I ask, even though he's noticed my retainers a few times and tried to go for them. All in all, he's still a mommy's boy that wants my undivided attention, and if anyone tries to talk to me, he screams over them.

CrazyBirdChick likes this.
  16. Brittany0208

Tell me about it lol. Knowing how extended it can become, I'm preparing myself for the day since it seems to be peeking out a bit more everyday. No DNA test needed here :D

Mockinbirdiva likes this.
  17. Brittany0208

:heart:

:heart:

18. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Diane
    Does the hemipenis stay out all day long during breeding season? :shy:

19. Brittany0208

Luckily, no, but it's more noticeable during breeding season. When he's not in season, it's hardly visible, even when he poops. My mom and grandmother already asked 'what is that?' So, yeah, I had to explain to them what it was. It hangs out the most when he's clinging to the cage bars, but when he's just sitting, you don't really notice it.

Mockinbirdiva and CrazyBirdChick like this.
  20. CrazyBirdChick

Diane

Thank you for answering my questions and again for sharing with us. It's just so unique therefore fascinating. I'm glad his attitude has been manageable for the most part.

Mockinbirdiva and Brittany0208 like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)