• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vasa maturity changes?

DaisyBird

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all,

I'm new here and I found this board because I'm considering getting a vasa. I'm looking at getting a two year old male. Has anyone noticed a difference in behavior after the vasa reaches maturity? I've read that vasas mature between 3-7. I previously had a male cockatoo that was a completely different bird after he matured, and I don't want to go through that again. I would love to hear your stories.

Also, I've been researching their powder/dander. Most people say that they aren't nearly as bad as cockatoos, but I would love to hear your stories.

Thank you!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I never noticed any powder dust as you see with toos and greys.

Hormone time...some changes in mood and behavior but not as strong as seen with other species such as toos and eclectus and amazons. They are not loud birds but from my reading they may get louder during breeding season. One person who has spent time researching the species found that the birds did better with meat a few times a week during breeding season.

They are a wonderful species to have.

DaisyBird

Thank you! Have you seen personality changes as they get older? The one I'm looking at is very sweet. I'm not sure if it is just because he is young.

Also, what is the time range of hormonal season?

Thank you!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I had mine until she was 3. I did not see changes except for some visual color change of face and some feather loss on her head. She was a very loving bird. She was not hand tamed when I got her but became so. She even enjoyed sitting on my shoulder to nap as I worked. She chewed some but not a heavy chewer as other birds her size. She was flighted and flew great. She could turn sharp corners and almost hover over an object. There was no problem feeding her as she loved eating. She never, NEVER bit me or anyone else. She had more of a flight response than a fight response.

Their hormone time is nothing like a large too. I have had goffins, lsc and RB2 toos. I found Vasa's to be an easier going bird.

DaisyBird

Thank you again. You have great information. What months are they usually hormonal, or does it vary?

Thanks for answering all my questions.

Novembergypsy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bethany
The Vasa I worked with for a year was very, very sweet. He was about six. I didn't know him previously, but my understanding was that he had always been a kindly natured fellow. I also never noticed dust. I will say that he began to decide I was his mate and would not only regurgitate on me at every opportunity, but would have his display all out (Vasa's have external sexual organs). He displayed a lot during the End of winter and beginning of spring. I loved him, and I miss him. (I worked with him in a rescue setting) he found a really good home. But there are still times when I wish vehemently I'd been able to take him home, especially since I'm now in a place to have him. They are wonderful, wonderful creatures.