• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

**Vacation Time** *UPDATE* Sakie at the vet

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
They are all fighting over who gets to do what props! Gave each of them two but if they know how to do it... they want to be on the table. Fun with flighted birds that just go where they want to be! Omg.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I still say you should video this. It'd make a great drinking game, which it sounds like you need. I'm hoping the tough old girl just has some inflammation and needs to rest. She already suckered Joe, huh?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Just did a show with the three understudies. I will need a drink after I get done with work. Lol

You've got the best job in the whole world.

What are we drinking?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Just did a show with the three understudies.
Which three do you have in the show now? Sam tagged in for Maui last year, right? Now Maui's back in filling in for Sakie. Who's the third understudy? Can't be Kailua, can it? I thought she was a diva not an understudy. :sing:

I still say you should video this. It'd make a great drinking game
Great idea! :drinks42: I'll drink to that! :pinkgrin:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I still say you should video this. It'd make a great drinking game, which it sounds like you need. I'm hoping the tough old girl just has some inflammation and needs to rest. She already suckered Joe, huh?

Video? Are you crazy? I have wild monsters flying all over the place! Out of routine = Complete chaos! I can't believe I have anot her show today still and three tomorrow too!

You've got the best job in the whole world.

What are we drinking?

OMG, I want to do concrete today John! I will shovel stuff if you want to make a show out of my macaw daycare center!

Which three do you have in the show now? Sam tagged in for Maui last year, right? Now Maui's back in filling in for Sakie. Who's the third understudy? Can't be Kailua, can it? I thought she was a diva not an understudy. :sing:

Great idea! :drinks42: I'll drink to that! :pinkgrin:

Sam is in for Maui, Maui in for Sakie. Kailua is just so diva that she doesn't want anyone touching her props. Volar is the only sane macaw on stage.... which is scary. Very scary!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
At the vet with Sakie. They gave her a shot to sedate her and instead she was running around like super women. Ugh

Waited 45 minutes for it to slow her and opted to gas her for xrays. Tough old girl.

View attachment 308185
Boy... for an old lady she is gorgeous!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

0.2ml x2 daily. I have to check the concentration if you need more then that.

I saw nothing on camera so I'm hesitant to believe injury but... all I can do is wait and see. Bloodwork looks great for her age, I'm told. They haven't sent it to me yet.

That's a mildly conservative amount, adequate for a macaw. Had to use some on Lou, he had issue with nerves, such as his Charlie horse as vet called it, or in layman's terms, pinched a nerve. But it helped once it began working in his system. Took a few weeks to get in his system and start working. Lou was a pro at hidding his owwweees! Hated vets. LOL...

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
She is a little military. Just under 1000 grams.

Her metacam dose is 0.65 2x daily in addition to the gabapentin. I didn't feel either dose was conservative.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The Metacam is near the maximum for a 1000gm bird ( 1.0ml 2x/day). The Gabapentin is much higher than Jasper gets (if yours is 100mg/ml concentration), but she is medicated for long term pain control, while Saki is being medicated for acute pain. Makes a difference. Metacam is almost always 1mg/ml concentration in the US.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My metacam is always 1.5mg/ml, just looked at the bottle and that's what it is.

The gabapentin is 50mg/ml so we are giving the same amount there as Sakie's is 2x daily.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
She is doing well on these amounts although I'm not giving her a bunch of room to move about. She is in Maui's walk in and we take her out to Maui's tree. No extra curricular activities..... I'm not ready for oscar the grouch to retire. LOL

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
My metacam is always 1.5mg/ml, just looked at the bottle and that's what it is.

The gabapentin is 50mg/ml so we are giving the same amount there as Sakie's is 2x daily.
About the same as Lou had. Lou was a big boy though, around 1120 grams . Vet also mentioned back then to monitor weight as the gabapentin has tendency to put on weight. Ehh, maybe a little.

Last edited:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Video? Are you crazy? I have wild monsters flying all over the place! Out of routine = Complete chaos! I can't believe I have anot her show today still and three tomorrow too!

OMG, I want to do concrete today John! I will shovel stuff if you want to make a show out of my macaw daycare center!

Sam is in for Maui, Maui in for Sakie. Kailua is just so diva that she doesn't want anyone touching her props. Volar is the only sane macaw on stage.... which is scary. Very scary!
:rofl::coffeescreen: If we were not absolutely swamped right now we would be taking the road trip to Wisconsin to see the fun your having!! :lol: Hopefully your actors/action stars/drama queens play nice today!!:wacky:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:rofl::coffeescreen: If we were not absolutely swamped right now we would be taking the road trip to Wisconsin to see the fun your having!! :lol: Hopefully your actors/action stars/drama queens play nice today!!:wacky:

The calm before the storm...

20190625_165131.jpg