• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vacation and Tameness

Saya

Meeting neighbors
20170714_180601(0) (1).jpg (This is the friendliest budgie, she decided to take a bath in a wet leaf in my hand, literally the first time she ever did anything like this) Hello! I have two budgies that are housed separately because they don't really get along. I have been working to tame them for about a year now but only the past month really seriously. One budgie know how to step up and can be very sweet (fall asleep on your finger and wants to step up, only in the cage though) and the other knows how to hand feed but is still working on the step up. I am planning to go on a vacation for two weeks and I'm afraid they will become untame during this period. I would want to bring them with me but my parents won't let me. If I completely tame them, could I have someone come over and handle them to keep them tame? Should someone just pop in to say hello and change the food? Should I leave music and stuff on? I really have no idea what to do because I've worked so hard to get where I am in the training now, and if they become untame again I don't know what I would do... (I've once gone 4 days without hand feeding and it took a long time to get them tame again)

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would have someone come over everyday if you can, but they should get to know this person before you go. It would be great if the person could interact with them each day, but only if they are comfortable with the person. They definitely will need to be checked on, papers changed, be given fresh food and water. Leaving the radio on is a good idea also. They might regress a bit, but hopefully they will return to their current level of tameness after a while.

Saya

Meeting neighbors
I would have someone come over everyday if you can, but they should get to know this person before you go. It would be great if the person could interact with them each day, but only if they are comfortable with the person. They definitely will need to be checked on, papers changed, be given fresh food and water. Leaving the radio on is a good idea also. They might regress a bit, but hopefully they will return to their current level of tameness after a while.
So have you gone on vaca without your birds?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I have gone on vacation both with and without my birds. They are a little mad when I come home, but that's soon forgotten and everything goes back to normal soon. The most I have been gone is a week, however, and my birds were already tame.

Saya

Meeting neighbors
I have gone on vacation both with and without my birds. They are a little mad when I come home, but that's soon forgotten and everything goes back to normal soon. The most I have been gone is a week, however, and my birds were already tame.
oh I see okay! I'm really hoping mine will turn out nicer and won't be so scared of people walking in the room so I can have someone comfortably take care of them!!

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
As long as your birds don't have a negative interaction (pet sitter scaring them by trying to grab them ,etc.) while you are on vacation it should be fine. Just keep them busy with some extra toys in the cages.

I leave for 7-15 days at a time for vacation and while Bingo, my grey, gets mad at us for a bit she forgives us within a couple days. My conure, Baby, does not seem to understand time and doesn't even get mad. I swear he thinks we were just in the bathroom a really long time.

Our pet sitter comes twice a day and provides food & water but does not interact with the birds. Having a radio or something on a timer would be nice for providing some background noise.

Being gone a week is not that long in the grand scheme of things, especially when you think about spending 10+ years with your bird.

Saya

Meeting neighbors
As long as your birds don't have a negative interaction (pet sitter scaring them by trying to grab them ,etc.) while you are on vacation it should be fine. Just keep them busy with some extra toys in the cages.

I leave for 7-15 days at a time for vacation and while Bingo, my grey, gets mad at us for a bit she forgives us within a couple days. My conure, Baby, does not seem to understand time and doesn't even get mad. I swear he thinks we were just in the bathroom a really long time.

Our pet sitter comes twice a day and provides food & water but does not interact with the birds. Having a radio or something on a timer would be nice for providing some background noise.

Being gone a week is not that long in the grand scheme of things, especially when you think about spending 10+ years with your bird.
oh thank you for your reply! That makes me feel a lot better, especially since my birds have been making such good progress the last few days I think they'll stay tame during the vacation! Your bird is absolutely gorgeous I might add, so jealous!

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
Thank you :)

This is my 'traveling' photo I made of Baby for the post on my blog this Friday (I made pet sitter instructions template for the post):

Saya

Meeting neighbors
Thank you :)

This is my 'traveling' photo I made of Baby for the post on my blog this Friday (I made pet sitter instructions template for the post):

Oh I wish I had time for a bird like that! Wowy

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
Well he is super cute but the downsides are he can be nippy and his voice is really screechy... even when he is chattering to himself it sounds like he is screaming :p

Enjoy your trip!