• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

using lorikeet pellets without damaging their tongues or causing any iron diseases?

BakaRikki

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I bought a bag a while ago- actually let me repharse that. I BEGGED by mother to buy a bag of lorikeet palletes thinking it would be good for my lorikeet, Tori. Being as stupid as always, i didn't research about it this time, even though i hated people when they didn't research before doing something which i deeply regret about. I wasted my mothers money (that bag is expensive as heck i tell you) and i can't stand that. It's been sitting in my room for a while now, as full as i bought it. Today, my mother took it out and gave some to tori and to my surprise, he loves it (he didn't eat it when i first got it.) Although i was happy that he started to eat it, all the bad things about it rose to the top of my head again. It's going to damage his tongue and may cause any iron related diseases. As much as i don't like that, i really want to find a way use it anyways and not waste a single pellet because it was me who got my mum to buy that bag and it was me who wasted my mother's money. Can anyone take their some time to give me some advice on using up the bag without causing any problems because that would be EXTREEEEMLY appreciated and i will not be able to thank you enough.

Thank you.

PS: i feel like my bird is underweight. I've been feeding him vegetables and fruits only and whenever i touch his back, he feel boney + his weight is under the average of a typical rainbow lorikeet.

EbonyMemory

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ebony
Do you feed Tori a dry or liquid lorikeet nectar mix? If not I think it's best to start, a lorikeets main diet is nectar so it's important that you do.
Are they vetafarm nectar pellets? If they are I believe you can mix it with vetafarm blossom nectar to make a wet mix.
I don't own a lorikeet myself so I might've got something wrong and hopefully someone with more knowledge can correct me and help you more.

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Lorikeets are made for a soft, liquid diet. I wouldn't buy these again, but maybe just to use up what you have, you could grind it to powder (in a coffee bean grinder or small food processor) and mix it into his usual wet mix. I expect that you'll need to add additional water in to make it the right consistency.

BakaRikki

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Lorikeets are made for a soft, liquid diet. I wouldn't buy these again, but maybe just to use up what you have, you could grind it to powder (in a coffee bean grinder or small food processor) and mix it into his usual wet mix. I expect that you'll need to add additional water in to make it the right consistency.
I have another problem...my mum had tried to make tori's beak blunt and she only took the tip off (by using a file) and he started to bleed...i manage to call a vet for tips and used cornflower to stop the bleeding...i was unsure when/what to feed him so i called again and was informed that i should be feeding him using the nectar powder as a main diet not fruits. unfortunately, i don't have that, i only have the vetafarm nectar pellets on me. is the vetafarm nectar pellets the same as the powder or are they different? could i hopefully use it and crush it up, then add water to it and make it like the nectar powder? the vet had informed me that i should let tori rest for 1hr in order to give his blood a chance to clot, and then feed him the powder (which again, i'm wondering if i could use the vetafarm nectar pellets as a substitute). if i could use it, what would be the amount of crushed pellets should i give him, and the amount of water i should add to it? (he is currently hungry right now so i need a reply asap as i want to feed him as soon as the 1hr ends). thank you so, so,so, so, so, SO much!!!!

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Your vet is right. You really need to ask your mum to buy the appropriate lorikeet food asap. Are you in Australia? My food of choice is Parrot Rescue Centre Wombaroo Lorikeet & Honeyeater Food - Shop - Caring for Pet Parrots in Australia

I have no idea what the appropriate ratio of water to powdered pellets would be. I can say that for the Wombaroo, I mix 300g of dry powder with 800ml of pre boiled warm water, so maybe try that ratio. I then freeze this in an ice-cube tray, so that I have enough feed made up for a while. A rainbow lorikeet should have a minimum of 40ml of nectar a day. My ice-cubes are approx 20mls each, so I give each lorikeet 1 cube in the morning and 1 cube in the evening. On top of that my birds enjoy fruit and a few times a week I also give them a homemade veggie smoothie.

Please explain to your mum the importance of feeding species appropriate food when you're next shopping for your lorikeet's food.