• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Using a Critter Nation cage for a disabled bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What do you guys think? I'm considering buying two Critter Nation cage add-ons and placing them side-by-side and keeping them elevated on my dresser. It'll give Java more horizontal space to fly, and it'll probably be much easier on me when trying to clean it. I would still decorate it like his current cage, it would just be wider. His current cage is 30 x 30 x 61 and the Critter Nation is 36 x 25 x 24.5. With his current cage, I have halved it since he never uses the bottom, and it gives me peace of mind that he won't fall. I've spent all morning looking at Critter Nation cages and I believe it would be an amazing transition as he would have more horizontal space. I know he loves his current cage, but I would like to upgrade him to something that is wider and more accommodating to his needs long-term. The only downside is that the Critter Nation doesn't have that fold down door that he likes so much, so I'll have to improvise. What do you think?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I like your though process BUT - the addons do not have a full bottom, and they have pegs that are intended to go into the top of the original unit. It also does not have the top to it as the intent is you would use the top from your existing single unit to put on top of it.

The bottom they have has a corner missing on both the grate and the pan for access for small animals. You could be fine without the corner of the grate and just use a different pan or something though. The biggest issue is just that it doesn't have a top to the cage.

You would be better off with two single units

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like your though process BUT - the addons do not have a full bottom, and they have pegs that are intended to go into the top of the original unit. It also does not have the top to it as the intent is you would use the top from your existing single unit to put on top of it.

The bottom they have has a corner missing on both the grate and the pan for access for small animals. You could be fine without the corner of the grate and just use a different pan or something though. The biggest issue is just that it doesn't have a top to the cage.

You would be better off with two single units
I was hoping that wasn't the case because I wanted to be able to sit the cages on top of something to minimize how much floor space it would take up. Could I leave out the outside wall of the single unit and put them side by side?
Edit: Could I use the single unit without the stand and still have a solid bottom?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The Single unit DOES have a solid bottom as it is intended to be a standalone cage, whereas the addon is a way to convert the Single to a double.

Yes, many rat people do combine two cages side by side. Leave the left panel off one, the right panel off the other, and then zip tie or otherwise secure together.

Here is a single unit on the floor without the stand. Notice is still has the "pegs" but people say it is sturdy

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Single unit DOES have a solid bottom as it is intended to be a standalone cage, whereas the addon is a way to convert the Single to a double.

Yes, many rat people do combine two cages side by side. Leave the left panel off one, the right panel off the other, and then zip tie or otherwise secure together.

Here is a single unit on the floor without the stand. Notice is still has the "pegs" but people say it is sturdy

The image didn't work, but I get what you're saying. Looking forward to upgrading Java to something more appropriate for him. Hope he doesn't pout about it. :D

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
The critter nation has bar spacing of 1/2 inch. I tried using it with a female BFA who was falling in her cage. She was unable to climb around inside the cage as the bars were too close together to get her toes placed easily when trying to move around. I was unable to make it work for that reason.
You also cannot get appropriate sized perches in the 1/2 inch spacing plus big ones are too heavy for the bars.
It's a great cage for budgies though.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ferret Nation 1" bar spacing; maybe that would work? I hang flagstone perches in my critter nation without any issues.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The critter nation has bar spacing of 1/2 inch. I tried using it with a female BFA who was falling in her cage. She was unable to climb around inside the cage as the bars were too close together to get her toes placed easily when trying to move around. I was unable to make it work for that reason.
You also cannot get appropriate sized perches in the 1/2 inch spacing plus big ones are too heavy for the bars.
It's a great cage for budgies though.
The cage Java is in now has 1/2 inch bar spacing, and he climbs with mostly one toe from what I've seen. And as far as perches, he has mostly padded shelves and one rope perch, but he isn't the best percher, so that isn't something I'm too concerned about. I'm hoping the bars are strong enough so as to not bend. I'm going to limit any future perches because he can't maneuver well and tends to stick to the side of the cage when he is perched for something to lean against.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ferret Nation 1" bar spacing; maybe that would work? I hang flagstone perches in my critter nation without any issues.
Would 1" spacing be better than 1/2"?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also, his wingspan is about 32", so I'm hoping he won't be cramped. He would only be in the cage when I couldn't supervise him or at bedtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.