• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Used Cage question

PrincessBirdAZ

Meeting neighbors
Is it possible to cover a cage with 1 in spacing with zinc-free hardware cloth or wire with small spacing so that it can be used for a smaller bird? I saw a tutorial on how to do it and I was intrigued. Zip ties were used in the process to keep the wire flush to the cage with no space between.
I have a cage big enough for Greys, Amazons, or Macaws, but I am looking at Pyrrhura Conures, Princess Parrots, or Cockatiels, so the 1" spacing is WAY too big. It is a used cage, so any tips on sanitizing would be much appreciated as well. Thanks!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Not much help here as I have never done it but I saw one done very nicely like that. Seems like as long as you pull the hardware cloth really tight it would work.

Sanitizing, I use bleach and power wash but I wanted to give you a tip. 2 friends have found cockroach nests in the LEGS of used cages. So be sure to clean those!!

PrincessBirdAZ

Meeting neighbors
I have bleach and a hose attachment, but no power washing equipment. I will use soft material to gently scrub as I don't want to disturb any coating. I have tons of old clothing, etc to use as rags. I have 2 guys in the house that are hard on clothing. Thanks for telling me about the roach thing. (I'm now doing the dance of disgust. Aacckk!) I will be sure to deal with that as well.
I will be looking for casters/wheels for the legs so I can wheel the cage out into the back yard so that the bird that I do get can sunbathe a little and enjoy time on the shaded back porch as well. Thanks for the tips :)

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sounds great!