• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Urination

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It could be behavioral. I have a bird right now with polydipsia/polyuria that's been going on for at least 6 months with no diagnosis.
Wow that's super weird! I've never heard of that. That's a good thing to know. Thou I'd ruled out medical cause first just to be safe

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, absolutely. I'm still in the process of workup with my bird but so far we haven't found anything except maybe an intolerance to the all-pellet diet she was on before I got her (I adopted her with this issue). But compulsive drinking is definitely a possibility, do a search for 'primary polydipsia' if you want to read more. (I'm on mobile so I can't do links easily.)

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:blink: I looked it up and now I'm really worried.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why? It's a generally benign condition.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Why? It's a generally benign condition.
I read the Wiki entry for humans, which goes into mental illness. The one for birds also talks about psychogenic causes like:

Polydipsia sometimes occurs under housing or experimental conditions which purportedly lead to stress or frustration.

For the last couple of weeks, I have used a clicker to try to train Luna to drop a plastic chip into a bowl. It hasnt been much, but after reading this, I'm wondering if it triggered something in him from his past. When we adopted him, the rescue said he was "potty trained" as per the prior owner. I never thought anything of it as I just make sure there's newspapers or towels... I'm probably letting my imagination run wild now :scared2:

I'll just see what the vet says when the lab results come in. She did say if it doesn't indicate any abnormalities, we may want to x-ray for zinc. We bought a new AA Chiquita for him but I know his old one, which was brought to the rescue, wasn't looking so hot and that's why we decided against it.

Last edited:

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I mean, maybe it's my bias since I'm a medical psychologist, but I'd generally prefer a behavioral problem over something metabolic.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I mean, maybe it's my bias since I'm a medical psychologist, but I'd generally prefer a behavioral problem over something metabolic.
Yes, that's true but it just makes me sad and worried either way.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Try and relax and just enjoy him if you can! If it is stress, your worry will just stress him more. You have no reason to believe this is anything imminently dire so far. <3

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yes, try to relax a little bit!:hug8:Hope the bloodwork comes back soon and Will Give a cause for her issue!