1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Jesse j, 1/8/18.

1. Jesse j

Jesse j Checking out the neighborhood

Jesse james strickland
    Hi my names jesse, and i think i have a sick cockatiel..

Steve has been sneezing frequently, has a blocked nose which causes him to breath through his mouth more than normal.

I think his tail is bobbing, but he is still eating and drinking quite frequently..

What should i do. I know taking him to a vet would be the best option but i have little money and was wondering if i am able to let his simptoms pass and let him get better on his own?

2. MnGuy

MnGuy Walking the driveway

Sorry to hear your cockatiel isn't doing well. I'd recommend finding a vet that will let you pay your bills in installments if you can't pay all at once.

Good luck.

Jesse j, CrazyBirdChick and iamwhoiam like this.
  3. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

As per your post, you know that taking him to the vet would be the best option so that is what you need to do.
    Vet can diagnose what is causing the issues and prescribe medication as necessary. For now keep him warm and let him rest but please do take him to the vet.
    Hope he will be OK.

Tiel Feathers and CrazyBirdChick like this.
  4. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Michelle
    Are his sneezes wet or dry? Wet sneezes are usually cause for concern. How is his nare blocked? Is something lodged in it or is it clogged from wet sneezes? A vet is always the best option. If his sneezes are wet it could be a respiratory infection. Dry sneezes could be environmental- like the house is dry, he's dusty, etc. Have you looked into Care Credit? That can also help with vet bills. From my experience, if a cockatiel is sick, they need a vet and just don't get better on their own.

5. Smbrds

Smbrds Rollerblading along the road

Shawn
    When in doubt, take him to an avian vet so they can look him over. As it's good that he's eating and drinking water but with birds you can never be to sure as it can always be too late since they hide their illness. I hope your little guy will be okay.

iamwhoiam and Jesse j like this.
  6. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Tailgating Party! I Can't Stop Posting!

Deanna
    I hope you can figure out a way to take him to the vet, and that your little bird will be okay!

7. finchly

finchly Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Vendor

Tanya
    The thing is when we commit to owning a pet we also commit to paying for its care. You say you do not ‘have’ the money — what could you give up in order to accumulate the money? Newspaper subscription, morning latte, walk to work instead of taking the bus,, parking pass for a month etc etc.

Vet visits for a tiel are not terribly much and your bird could die without treatment. It is time to get creative about your money and take your friend to the vet. Please don’t wait.

8. Sofro

Sofro Strolling the yard

Matilda
    Welcome, and sorry to hear that your cockatiel is not doing well. An avian vet needs to see him if he is tail-bobbing. Tail-bobbing indicates serious illness. I hope your little bird will be okay.

Tiel Feathers likes this.
  9. cosmolove

cosmolove Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Erica (:
    Everything you mentioned together throws up many red flags for me. I believe this bird needs an avian vet, have you applied for Care Credit or asked friends if you could borrow the money? Generally birds are very good at hiding their symptoms when they're sick. I would be very concerned since you're seeing so many symptoms.

Tiel Feathers and finchly like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)