• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

URGENT: Wheezing after a bath

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Zuya started making a wheezing sound yesterday. She took a soaking bath in the morning, and I noticed her making that sound few hours later. (I went to work right after her bath, and heard her over bird cam) It is not with every breath. Sometimes it's few breaths in a row, sometimes it's minutes apart. It sounds between wheeze breath. stuffy nose, muffled chirp, beak grinding, light sneeze. It kinds sounds more like she is making the sound when exhaling, not inhaling.
There is no discharge, her nostrils and ears are clear. There is no tail bobbing, I don't notice shortness of breath, but she seemed tired. She eats and drinks, her poops are normal.

She was quiet for parts of the day yesterday, wanted to sit quiet with eyes closing. At one point I noticed her beak half open, earlier in the day. But then she perked up, and was playing and flying and chirping normal sounds. She was her active self in the evening, getting into mischief. But still making that sound every few minutes, and pausing the activity with eyes closing. Throughout the night I could her her every few minutes wheezing, kept me awake (her cage is in my room). I actually worried when I wouldn't hear her few minutes, wondering if she is still breathing.

I suppose, it could also be just a coincidence that it started happening after a bath.

She has an appointment with a vet later today. I assume they might give her antibiotics. But it she really aspired some water into her lungs, can they really do anything about it? Can a bird expel water from the lungs on her own? Maybe it's not in the lungs, but still just in nasal cavity.
What should I ask them to do? Are there any tests I should ask them to run?

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The vet will, of course, listen to the lungs and be able to tell something from listening. Recently, when my vet took an xray of Jasper he pointed out that she had a small issue in her lung that looked like it was being resolved. The Dr. explained that occasionally a bird will aspirate a little fluid and the lung will resolve the damage on it's own. Maybe if the Dr. doesn't hear anything or find another issue, an xray should be done.

Oxygen therapy can help resolve the issue sometimes and of course antibiotics to reduce the chance of an infection.

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
That happened to me once or twice before while Mango,my budgie took showers with me.The first time that happened,I was panicking and took her to the vet.The vet told me that some water got into her cere.She told me to come back two days later if she continues to 'wheeze'.She stopped the following day.
If she continues tomorrow I'll suggest you to see the vet.If she stops,good for all and everything's okay.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It's good that you're seeing a vet. Anything with the lungs and airsacs needs to be dealt with swiftly.

CrazyKozmo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Please let us know how the vet appointment goes. Sending positive energy that your baby is ok~~~~~~~~~:birdance:

zvezdast

Avenue Veteran
Thank you all for your responses. :heart:

Here is how she sounded yesterday afternoon.
(regurgitating at the begining is not an issue)
somewhat sleepy
playing, but stuffy nose

Listening to this again I really think this sound is from her nose, not deep down in the lungs.

I can not hear any wheezing today, since 6 am. Heard her during the night, but it looks like she cleared what was in her nostrils. She is active as normal. And she is a very active bird!
I decided to cancel appointment today and monitor her for a couple of days to see if the sound will return or her behavior changes. I didn't want to stress her with a vet visit, which can happen with the littles, nor give antibiotics if she doesn't really need them. If anything changes, to the vet we go!

sosophiaph

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi! I apologize for replying since this post is older than two years old. My conure is doing the same exact noise and I’m worried sick. Do you have any updates? Thank you very much!