• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

*Urgent* Traveling With A Tiel?

Tiel lover

Strolling the yard
Hi, so in about 2 days I’m going on a 5 hours drive to Washington D.C and was wondering whether I should bring my tiel or not. She’s about 5 months now and eats on her own and all, but she cries all day and gets very lonely if nobody is with her. I feel that if I leave her alone she will get depressed and stop eating. I will stay at a Marriott hotel right next to the Walter E Washington Conventions center in Washington dc. I will be at the convention for most of the time though, so I’m not sure. I was thinking maybe I could use a travel carrier and bring her along with me rules permitting? I don’t want to leave her alone because she constantly needs attention, so maybe I could leave her at the bird store I got her from and they can babysit her for the 3 days? There are going to be many birds around her there, but no human interaction which she craves. What do you think I should do?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You're going away for 3 days? She can't be left alone for 3 days without someone coming and checking on her. Is the hotel pet friendly? Can someone come and take care of her at your place while you're gone?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I will be at the convention for most of the time though,
No point taking her to leave her alone in a hotel room.

I suggest finding a friend or relative to check in on her at your house and change water etc

Tiel lover

Strolling the yard
Alright.. I’m just afraid she’ll get so lonely she’ll stop eating. There are other birds in the house though. Should I maybe leave her at my sisters who is not home all day but will be there every now and then? Thanks

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Alright.. I’m just afraid she’ll get so lonely she’ll stop eating. There are other birds in the house though. Should I maybe leave her at my sisters who is not home all day but will be there every now and then? Thanks
There are other birds at your house? Is someone coming to take care of them?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I’m just afraid she’ll get so lonely she’ll stop eating
To take her with you will be worse than leavingher at home as she will be alone AND in a strange place.

There are other birds in the house though.
What is the arrangement for them?

Should I maybe leave her at my sisters who is not home all day but will be there every now and then?
Why are you looking to send her somewhere to be alone?

To be alone, it is best she is at home. To be alone somewhere else is not good.
A quick visit by someone trustworthy to say hello, change water and food will be ok for a few days.

Draw up some quick foraging activities, and give the list to the chosen person and ask them to set the activities up.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I always board my birds at my vets - they give them lots of attention and I know if anything happens or they need medical care, it is right there.

Tiel lover

Strolling the yard
The other birds are 2 finches and 3 parakeets and their cages are not too far from each other. Usually I just leave extra food for them and it lasts. I just don’t want to trust anyone else with my baby besides someone close, and nobody who I am very close to lives by me. Also if I do ask someone else to check on her if they even open the door she will go crawling all over them and they wouldn’t know how to get her back although it may seem simple to us it probably won’t be to them. At this point I’m thinking of leaving her at home and searching for someone I trust to come check up on her once a day?

Tiel lover

Strolling the yard
I always board my birds at my vets - they give them lots of attention and I know if anything happens or they need medical care, it is right there.
I would board her but my avian vet doesn’t have a boarding facility

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Tiel lover

Strolling the yard
It does, but since she’s young she still doesn’t climb bars and I put the food in a shallow dish so that she can easliy eat it without having to climb on a perch. My nearest neighbor is away and the rest of them are quite old and I don’t want to burden them to take care of this little devil for 3 days. I’m thinking of leaving her with my sister because she has been there many times before and I couldn’t get anyone to check up on her and at least I would know that she’s alright. Thanks for the forum, I will check it out