• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

*URGENT* Roxie busted her stitches

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
On her belly, where she got spayed. It's only maybe 1 inch long but I can see pink. We're taking her to the vet first thing in the morning, but what do we do until then? Keep her calm and still, I figure? Is there anything else we can do?

My brain is going into panic mode. Please help.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Is She bleeding?
Hoping she will go to sleep and not mess with it.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Not really. There's like a clear, mucousy thing over it... I'm not messing with it. She's sleeping right now.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Try to make sure she does not mess with it and be careful of where she goes as you do not want things stuck in it. Can you wrap a clean non stick bandage around her to stop her catching it or licking it?

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Try to make sure she does not mess with it and be careful of where she goes as you do not want things stuck in it. Can you wrap a clean non stick bandage around her to stop her catching it or licking it?
Like gauze with vet wrap on top? Would that work?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sorry for the late reply.
Sounds like a really good compromise..... probably better than a bandage!
I am sure you will do fine and Roxy will be ok. It will probably feel like forever till you get to the vet but I bet you they will not be stressed or too worried about her opening one stitch.
I’ve had a few pets do it in the past and as long as it was only one stitch and it got seen to by the vet within a reasonable amount of time there had never been any problems. The main thing is to stop them hassling the area and making sure it stays fairly clean. From memory a lightly weeping wound was more desirable than one that was dry and swollen.
Try not to worry yourself sick, they have a couple of layers of stitches so nothing will fall out of her. It will just be the first layer of skin but all her organs will be held in place with internal stitches.
I hope this has been of some help to you.
:hug8:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Good news!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh thank goodness! Sorry I missed this - mine both had to go back to the vet this morning. Both are doing well, Piper very well, Cricket needs 2 more weeks of antibiotics. Anyway i'm REALLY glad poor miss Roxie is ok! Hug her for me!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What great news, I am so glad she is doing fine :)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
LOL...I was just going to say maybe its the acrylic glue over the stitches. They use a form of superglue over the stitches. Have it on my chest stitches where they removed my port last week. Keeps the wound tightly sealed. Had it when I had my surgery too. Glad it was nothing but the area does get stiff & now its starting to itch as it heals so you have to make sure Roxie does not irritate it too much.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
LOL...I was just going to say maybe its the acrylic glue over the stitches. They use a form of superglue over the stitches. Have it on my chest stitches where they removed my port last week. Keeps the wound tightly sealed. Had it when I had my surgery too. Glad it was nothing but the area does get stiff & now its starting to itch as it heals so you have to make sure Roxie does not irritate it too much.
Wow, our vets do not put the glue over stitches......I wonder why. Same for the last time any one I know was stitched up, stitches but no glue. Here they only seem to use the glue if the area is not suitable for stitches or if the wound is not quite bad enough for stitches.