• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Urgent home needed for male U2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Hurts me to say this, but it seems dexter needs a home. Going to a homeless shelter later today.

a lot of you should know Dexter. Hatch day April 8th 2017. He's a talker, though I'm proud to say most of you don't seem to care about that. No screaming problems (although he has his moments), has bit one person hard enough to draw blood, and it wasn't me. Steps up for strangers and will ask to step up if he wants to. No experience around big birds, but lived around a cockatiel as a baby.

No known diseases. Dna sexed male, still begs for comfort feedings from time to time. Swallowed a piece of airline tubing at give months and had surgery for it. Steps up for vets even after being toweled.

Clipped his wings once at 5 months. Nearly every feather has molted now, he has I believe one feather left to be dropped, doesn't slow him down any. He'll fly to me, whether I like it or not. He's molting right now, just dropped his second to last clipped flight.
I am in el paso and will no longer have physical custody of him by the time he finds a home.I will link a personal friend to this page. He has no birds of his own but cares deeply about Dexter. I'm hoping he will be able to litigate this.

He's the only thing I care about. I just want him to have a good home So, rehoming is as follows:

Free to members of AA. Members with more posts get special precedence, because there's more evidence of their ability to care for dex, but everyone will be considered. Let me know asap if this isn't allowed,admins. I won't be around much longer.

Dexter will be at my dad's house. Terrified that he will try to sell Dexter while I am gone or release him, not give him food or water, etc. He's unstable. My friend will have his contact info. I don't believe selling my bird without my permission is legal, but wouldn't put him above it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope a member will be able to step in and take Dexter. You should actually find a temporary home so that when you are settled more permanently somewhere you can get him back. Is that something you can consider?

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so heartbroken for you Machelle. :(:heart: I wish I was in a position to be able to take Dexter. More than thou I wish you weren't in this situation. I wish you and Dexter all the best
:sadhug2:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He has no birds of his own but cares deeply about Dexter. I'm hoping he will be able to litigate this.

He's the only thing I care about. I just want him to have a good home So, rehoming is as follows:

I'm sorry my dear. Can't this person take him at least temporary?

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This is heartbreaking. Can you go back to get Dexter, keep him in a travel cage while we all work together to help you place Dexter? It's worth a try. I've seen this wonderful AA family move mountains in order to help those in need.
Please go back and get him ASAP. We'll help figure out the rest.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I'm so heartbroken for you Machelle. :(:heart: I wish I was in a position to be able to take Dexter. More than thou I wish you weren't in this situation. I wish you and Dexter all the best
:sadhug2:
THank you. It hurts me so much to do this but I know I can’t leave him there and I can’t take him with me on the streets. It’s 97 today and 104 Wednesday and I would rather risk dex there than out here. He’s been my world for two years.
I hope a member will be able to step in and take Dexter. You should actually find a temporary home so that when you are settled more permanently somewhere you can get him back. Is that something you can consider?
I would be willing to do that. Forgot to mention it.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Machelle, I'm so sorry. Is there anything that can be done for you and Dexter together? Is there a way you don't have to leave Dexter with your Dad? Is there a nearby person that could take him in and care for him, even if temporary until a home can be found?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Omg that's serious. I am so sorry for you and Dexter and hope you can find the best solution fast. :sad4:

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
THe
Machelle, I'm so sorry. Is there anything that can be done for you and Dexter together? Is there a way you don't have to leave Dexter with your Dad? Is there a nearby person that could take him in and care for him, even if temporary until a home can be found?
the only bird people I know of out here is a YouTuber, happy tails I believe is her name. I messaged her (we’re members of the same Facebook group but aren’t friends) and asked her to take him. She hasn’t checked her message requests.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I'm sorry my dear. Can't this person take him at least temporary?
He is unfortunately out of state. It looks like I might be able to do everything here.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Machelle, I can foster him for you if you'd like until you're back on your feet again. However it would mean that you'd have to fly him out here. I've flown countless birds and animals before, and none arrived worse for wear. He'd have to be loaded late at night or early morning in order to beat the tarmac heat. Let me know if I can help.

Today is the one year anniversary of our rescuing Sydney. I can't think of a better way to celebrate his rescue than by helping you bring Dexter here to safety.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Machelle, I can foster him for you if you'd like until you're back on your feet again. However it would mean that you'd have to fly him out here. I've flown countless birds and animals before, and none arrived worse for wear. He'd have to be loaded late at night or early morning in order to beat the tarmac heat. Let me know if I can help.

Today is the one year anniversary of our rescuing Sydney. I can't think of a better way to celebrate his rescue than by helping you bring Dexter here to safety.

You are a saint my dear. :hug8: :hug8:

One day on a plane is far better than the alternative without compare.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m so sorry Machelle, I´m heartbroken for you.

I hope you can get Dexter to an AA members home!

And where will you go? Could you not move back to where you were living before? Or with a friend?

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm happy to offer my help. Already have the avian approved carrier for birds, so it would just be a matter of arranging for his flight on Delta and with my shipping out the carrier for his safe transport. I can oversee everything for you, as I know that your circumstances are critical.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Any updates on whats going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.