• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

URGENT HELP PLEASE

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I hear ya Karen, I was in same boat. Took on a military as Mr first parrot back in '74. Knew nothing about them. The only experience I had was with hawks. Which I had 2 at the time.
There was no internet, or AA, you basically grabbed every book you could from library and read and studied. Fast forward to now, 45 yrs later and 39 parrots, I've come a long ways.
But it took a lot of close studying, observing, analyzing their behavior, likes and dislikes. It was not a sleigh ride at first, but I push thru. I'm glad I did. 45 yrs of commitment to understand parrots.

There's no better school than the school of hard knocks is there? You just don't know what you don't know. Until you know. :)

Experience is not something anyone can teach. You can not read it in a book or take any short cuts to get it. You have to live it.

Suddenly I feel tired. :(

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
There's no better school than the school of hard knocks is there? You just don't know what you don't know. Until you know. :)

Experience is not something anyone can teach. You can not read it in a book or take any short cuts to get it. You have to live it.

Suddenly I feel tired. :(

You said it best john. You have to live it to understand. That's the best teacher. Books and internet comments on birds are generalized, and can be taken with a grain of sand. Some of its good, some of it is B.S.... And yea some can offer good advice. But best advice is to learn and understand your bird. No two birds, even if same species, are exactly alike. The variables exist in personality, their upbringing, their likes and dislikes and etc......
Two Too's same breed, can vary tremendously in personality, likes and dislikes for example.
So what one person's opinion in a book on a bird, isn't necessarily the way your bird will turn out.

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Poor Johnson is probably so scared, was sitting in a small cage (that he fits in!) don't even want to imagine what size that cage was. Having a stranger's hand reaching in his only world to put food, can't blame him for biting her. Glad you took him to your place Sam, hope his life will improve.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
This is so sad for Johnson these birds are so sweet now that she hit him I don't know if it could take him a long time to trust anybody? I hope he does ok....

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
I'm not sure if he's going to get to trust people yet.I was woken up from his scream today at 6 in the morning ( 7 36am now) ans so was the other birbs.Clearly,all of us are pissed off since Lucy didn't have Johnson scream at 6 in the morning in her less-than-a-week commitment.
I just finished serving them breakfast.Johnson was chillin' cause that cage he's in now has those little doors connected to the food and water bowl that swings out.Thus my arm was safe.Just a little update on Lucy too,she is okay now,but might need to have a scar on the arm forever and never come close to a bird.A big bird,at least.
Johnson clearly hated both the hand and the said pellets,carrots,corn,cabbage,grapes and bananas put in.He only pecked at the seeds that were in the bowl,with the pellets.( I do have a third door swing thing so I put the fruits and veggies there)
Sometimes I really hope that there are pellets that look like seeds,so that I'll be better for them to accept that they are eating pellets.After all,the birds are too annoyed with us from changing their natural diet,to something that looks weird,colourful and all those words that don't describe a seed.They taste different too!
Obviously the bird doesn't get hold of the said nutrition facts of them so they don't know.
Getting off the track now.So my plan with Johnson now would be to keep him until he trusts humans and will accept other humans into his life as his 'full-time-slaves' and then,find him a new home.And damn it now I wished I had a phone so that I can photo Lucy's scar to show the potential adopters what their future life could be full of,i.e bites.
And I will make them come and see him for themselves for 1 months or more (weekly visits so yeah) so that they know who they are adopting.Hopefully by that time Johnson can be out of his cage and on the big play gm just a room away from said cage and be happy.And hopefully he'll be doing well with my other birbs as a 'bird slave' hangs around them busily. ;)

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Oh,and his room his toys,a lot.I put them in beforehand since I knew what would happen if I put them in while he was in there. :)
p.s. I call cages rooms now.Cause I refuse to call that luxurious sleeping room a 'cage'

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
I call them rooms since I let them roam in my house thus the 'room' is simply a 'sleep spot' unless they are in quarantine.I didn't do a long quara for Star since I already vet checked her and she has her vaccs certs too when she came home.
Johnson needs around 2 more weeks of quara until I can allow him out .Which is different from him coming out because one is I let him come out,the other he wants to come out.

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
I'm glad the bird is in a better place now! I don't have anything to say in regards to big birds (I only have a budgie), BUT, I see you are from Singapore. I am an Asian American and am familiar with a lot of Asian myths and beliefs around "that time of the month" for women. I don't know how old you are, but please educate yourself about Human physiology and biology; especially the female reproductive cycle. I tell you this so you will be a more well-rounded person and rise above the old myths passed down from our ancestors that only serve to marginalize women AND perpetuate ignorance. I see that you are a student, that's great! Your future wife/girlfriend will appreciate your fact based knowledge about menstrual cycles. We can swim, ride bikes, work, dance, drive, even have sex while on our periods. We don't have to avoid cold things, or separate ourselves from... well anything for that matter. I am saying this in gentle guidance, thank you for taking in the bird.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Ok,thanks!In my whole life I knew that my sister,whenever she has periods,avoids cold drinks,doesn't go on her hiking session with her soon-to-be husband (they are marrying next year in new year!).She still drives,after all all that she's been told to avoid for her whole life is 'hard' activites ( biking,hiking,running etc),cold drinks or anything cold and sex.
Maybe I'll even send her a email regards to that.I bet that she'll be so glad to know that she can eat her fav' Mango Sago even in her period!I've seen how much she'd been holding back the urge to eat them! :D

And Johnson decided to taste a heavily seed camouflaged strawberry!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I knew that my sister,whenever she has periods,avoids cold drinks,
That´s really interesting. I wonder where the myth even comes from?

Maybe I'll even send her a email regards to that.I bet that she'll be so glad to know that she can eat her fav' Mango Sago even in her period!I've seen how much she'd been holding back the urge to eat them! :D
Please do tell her, and get her to inform all her girl pals that they can enjoy cold drinks any day :)

The only problem with running and biking would be potential leaks, but if your sister has good protection (a cup for example) then she can do all of those things.

And Johnson decided to taste a heavily seed camouflaged strawberry!
That´s great! :)

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Also,Alex is going back tomorrow afternoon so can I give my account password to him so that he can be here as well even if he's not here?

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
p.s. Other than the 'alarm' he sounded today morning,Johnson's a cucumber ( as cool as a cucumber ;) ) .Umbrella was unhappy today but I'll update that on my flock update thread later.They all had extra corn for supper!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Tell Alex to create an account :)
But remind him to keep his age a secret.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
He has no email whatsoever and no electronic devices.He'll be using his parents phone to get up here.Let me discuss with him for a while on what he wants.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Quick conversation done.He told me he'll just email me if he has any update and I'll help post.His parents won't allow him to use their phone for this,either.So I guess that this is done.Maybe one day when he grows up he might want to adopt Johnson,he is quite 'attentive' with him and fusses over him in these few days.If he is lucky,he could do weekly visits here too!Johnson is also quite happy with his attention.He gave his first ever display in this whole week (from Lucy's adopt to my takeover) to him.
This should be a great start for all that matters! :)

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
All those whiles I've read stories like that.You know,the dark empty cupboard with a naked Too,or the big basement/garage that doesn't even have food,or violence or physical abuse.Humans neglect,and we often neglect those that we don't care about,or who we care most about.That's depressing.