• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent URGENT cockatiel injured during sleep

nicc

Meeting neighbors
hello, it's morning here and what's happened was also what woke me up so i apologize if this post sounds completely disjointed.

im not sure how exactly this happened, and of course i couldn't see since the sound of it is what woke me up, but my cockatiel sunny somehow managed to fall off his perch in his sleep which resulted in some injuries.

what i can see outright is what i suspect to be a broken blood feather since i did find a plucked pin with some fresh blood on it right after, but im unsure if there's anything else. he took a few deep breaths a few minutes after coming back to his normal awake self but at the moment he's breathing fine and he's active as normal, he chirped at me a couple of times so his voice sounds fine, and he even had a little sip of water. poops are normal too. now he's decided to head back to bed since he did have a few more hours of sleep to do.

the bleeding that i was able to see is at this point resolved but what really worries me is the possibility of internal injuries. there's a little droplet of dried blood on the back of his neck, which is thankfully not from any part of the head or neck, but im not sure where it could be from? can the tip of his wing somehow reach that part of his neck?

aside from everything else he's doing these little gasp-like noises every few minutes. it almost sounds like a really quiet hiss. that's the part that really worries me since i don't know what could cause him to make such a noise but i really hope it's nothing physical.

im genuinely at a loss of what else to do aside from watch over him carefully for the next few hours and keep him calm and comfortable. something that scares me is that i have to leave for school in about 3 hours so im not sure if he will be okay afterwards. i unfortunately do not have access to an avian vet whatsoever at the moment so i guess whatever happens happens but i wanna do what i can to make it less stressful for my little guy. any opinion on anything helps, especially tips on how to make the cage safer during sleep to prevent things like this happening again.

nicc

Meeting neighbors
small update, what i thought was him going back to sleep was a tiny little nap. he woke up from it and ate a little bit and the gasping noises have stopped. beak grinding however continues strong so im hoping that means he's at least comfortable and relaxed despite the circumstances!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope he's okay. Cockatiels are prone to night frights. I have found that leaving a night light on for them helps. You also want to make sure that there aren't things like car lights from a window, etc. that might scare him at night.

nicc

Meeting neighbors
I hope he's okay. Cockatiels are prone to night frights. I have found that leaving a night light on for them helps. You also want to make sure that there aren't things like car lights from a window, etc. that might scare him at night.
thanks so much! he is acting like his normal self and he's been playful with me so i believe he's alright. the accident that happened was somewhere around 8 am when its already light outside so i honestly did not suspect a night fright but i would not doubt it now that you mention it, especially knowing that lutinos are even more prone to them and sunny himself is seemingly 100 times more prone to accidents in general lol. due to the way my house is built the only windows i have face our lawn so there isn't a possibility of car lights but I wonder if it could be unexpected noises instead? we have quite a few of those. at the end of the day, whatever it was, im thankful that he is ok. either way i'll definitely be looking into a night light as well as other things i can do as soon as i can, thank you!!